Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (splash1)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Looking to buy an 04 VLX or 05 V-Ride. Know that the wake is great for boarding and other big wake sports, but how is it for the odd ski (with no ballast)? What about tubing for the little ones? Don't want to send them flying out too far... well yet. Guess the question is are they a half decent cross over boat with more emphasis on boarding/surfing?

Anything else to watch out for? The other option is an older X-Star/X-2.
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       09-03-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I know that both of those hulls were originally designed as slamom hulls... I don't have any experience with either of those boats, but i have heard that the older x-star/X-2 is better for skiing
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
They are decent boats for skiing. Very good friends of mine still barefoot and slalom behind theirs, but definately unload the ballast to do so.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-04-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
buy a response, great world class ski boat, big and roomy, get the lxi for the walk through, put a titan tower on it and a free floating wedge. you can through a small sac in the rear locker but you wont need it. and its a fun boat to drive.

its all what you need eric. do you ski or wake board. i dont believe in the whole cross over era of boats. stick to your roots. its your boat, you want the best for your sport. one of my good friends has the response because he is a "skier" we al have wake boats, but if you want to pull the course your going to destroy every bouy with a vlx on your way down. imo only if you are a skier, buy a ski boat.
Old     (splash1)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-04-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
hey guys - thanks for the feedback. I mainly wakeboard now but would like to try my hand at surfing as well. When we get glass - still like to strap on the ski and carve up the lake though. :-)

Bryan - overall, we would use the boat more for recreational skiing including letting newbie guests try to learn how to ski. The Mrs. is a novice at skiing but enjoys it a lot and will not try wakeboarding. Her concern with a VLX is crossing a much larger wake. She does tend to like to go a little slower than normal ski speeds so wakes - regardless of the boat - will be a little bigger. Plus we have a new son and would like to teach him to ski, wakeboard, tube, surf... when he gets a little older.

Sounds like the VLX is still acceptable for the multi tasked role - but good points with the LXI...
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-04-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Both of these boats are equipped with the same hull (SV23wake). They have the same length, the same weight, the same seating capacity, the same fuel capacity, the beam is different by half an inch, and the 05 VRide has a deeper draft.

Pick the one with the most bling!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-04-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
Why waste the glass for skiing? Go to a course and ski behind a ski boat. If you want to ski buy a direct drive. V-drives are not what you want for skiing. But, if you can Jedi mind trick your buddies into buying the ski boat and you get the wake boat you're set. You get lower depreciation, more comfortable interior layout, and a boat that will help you enjoy a better sport.

But with that said, the older VLX had some sort of AWSA certification. One of the very few v-drives that would run the course. But they don't have nearly that good of a ski wake compared to any direct drive (except an older Centurion).
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-04-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
For skiing... the wake at 15' off around 30-34 mph is best, IMO
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-05-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Eric, I had an 03 VLX, which is the same everything as the 04 and 05-Vride. A friend of ours is an excellent single skier and it was difficult for her to single ski behind my boat. No Ballast, no people and the wake is still thick. The V-drive is the problem.

My neighbor has a Correct Craft 211 and without people in the boat and ballast I was told it has a really decent single ski wake. Plus the 211 throws a good wakeboard wake. My two cents. It is still a V-drive.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
We ski behind our 04 VLX all the time. The wake isn't that big and it's really soft. We ski at 30 to 36 MPH at 15 to 22 feet off with out any issues.
Old     (jagman)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-05-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
We have an '05 V-ride, the ski wake is fine for everyone but hardcore slalom guys. Obviously no ballast, or wedge, and fewer people and it is pretty decent.

Great wakeboard wake, and great surf wake (with appropriate ballast)