Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
Starting my quest and would like real world input on the Ford F150 and Toyota Tundra.

Fuel economy (empty/towing)
Fit and finish
Reliability

I don't always believe web research, too many brand haters and diehards.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-02-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Are you considering new or used? If used what years.. My buddy bought a 2011 Tundra last year and I have spent a lot of time in it and behind the wheel.

Last edited by wakesetter_WW; 05-02-2012 at 1:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-02-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
I shopped both f150 and tundra after my f250 was stolen.

I went with the f150 v8 triton 2010 King Ranch, here's why.

Larger cab with a 5 1/2 bed, sync hands free, greater payload capabiltity, better mileage rating, I got 18 avg hwy 80%.. Towed awesome.

If you find an ecoboost, get that instead, better mpg all around. A buddy towed his 21ft tige 21v to PA from TX and boasted 17 mpg.

Good luck, I did trade it for another f250 6 months later tho. Needed more payload afterall.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
FWIW, last summer I was shopping around for trucks. All brand new. Test drove the following (all 4x4):

Chevy Silverado 1500 6.2L
Ford F-150 EcoBoost & V8
Toyota Tundra Limited

I am a fan of the Tundra's looks. In my opinion go test drive them both. I didn't think the Tundra drove all that great. In the end, I ended up not buying a truck after all (only reason I would need a truck for was to tow a boat so decided to buy an SUV instead).
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-02-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Have you tried the search engine on this website? This site alone had beaten this topic to death.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have had a 2006 Tundra 4.7L V8 and now currently own a 2008 5.7L V8 Tundra DC (double cab). My 2006 got about 16-17 mpg highway and towing about 12. My 2008 I am getting right now (winter gas) only 15.7, hope that improves with changeover in gas. Towing is again like 10-12 mpg.

The tundra is an awesome truck but one of the worst in fuel economy. Luckily I only have a 10 minute commute to work.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Just putting it out there, but i think it is inaccurate to say that the F150 has a larger interior...Most of my friends enjoy my Tundra because of how much room it has in the rear. My buddies 250 superduty hardly has the space my crewmax has, especially in the back... My 08' also has hands free sync. However, the ecoboost is pretty awesome!

I have had my tundra for two years and have loved every minute of it, especially towing. Whether I am pulling my family's X30, or my friends x45 or anything else it never lacks the get up and go. One down side to the tundra is the gas mileage. It was not horrbile, but then I did a leveling kit and 33s...now its not that efficient. The only thing that will make me trade my truck is if they ever come out with the diesel version.

Just putting another opinion here!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-02-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
Can't speak about the new F-150's but I do own a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 with the tow package. For a 1/2 ton gasser it tows great! I get right about 10MPG towing. I'm a slow, but I'm usually towing over 4k + passes. The Tundra Double Cab is far bigger then any other 'extended cab' truck and their Crew Max is larger then any crew cab (except the dodge mega cab that's been discontinued). Can't say enough good things about the Tundra, but then again I own one It does have lots of nannies which can get annoying. Seat belt chime, traction control, etc...all bug the heck out of me. The stock stereo is crap and so is the JBL. I replaced all my speakers, put in an amp/sub, and new HU with BT.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-02-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
This isn't a very fair comparison, the tundra is more in line with the Ford Ranger....
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymatt View Post
This isn't a very fair comparison, the tundra is more in line with the Ford Ranger....
That's a dumb comment.
Old     (rickB52)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-02-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymatt View Post
you are talking about the Tacoma correct? not the Tundra
Old    kx250frider617            05-02-2012, 9:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskiprosx View Post
Can't speak about the new F-150's but I do own a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 with the tow package. For a 1/2 ton gasser it tows great! I get right about 10MPG towing. I'm a slow, but I'm usually towing over 4k + passes. The Tundra Double Cab is far bigger then any other 'extended cab' truck and their Crew Max is larger then any crew cab (except the dodge mega cab that's been discontinued). Can't say enough good things about the Tundra, but then again I own one It does have lots of nannies which can get annoying. Seat belt chime, traction control, etc...all bug the heck out of me. The stock stereo is crap and so is the JBL. I replaced all my speakers, put in an amp/sub, and new HU with BT.
The mega cab is still being made but only in a 2500 or 3500 platform. If money wasn't an option I would love a 2500 megacab with the cummins diesel 4x4. Not that is one bad ass looking truck
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
I stand corrected I haven't seen a newer body style mega cab yet. I would guess they aren't all that popular now that their 4 door truck is a true crew cab...? Either way I like the looks of their crew cab (which looks plenty big) way better then the mega cab.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Matt-I was comparing the 5.5ft bed double cab Toyota to the f140 super crew. I know first hand the crewmax is massive but I could not sacrifice the bed space. The crewmax has less than 5ft of bed. So no my comparison is accurate. Only reason I threw the super duty is bacause that's what I have now and yes the cab is smaller than my super crew but with the added payload capability and increase in torque and tow mileage, I can live with that, even with my family of 5.

I guess off topic but the mega cab dodge is a awesome, I just hated the middle back seat. Again I have a fam of 5 and it's important to me to have an equal seat depth all the way across.

Good luck picking your truck it's gonna be a tough one if your keeping your options open.
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-03-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
Matt-I was comparing the 5.5ft bed double cab Toyota to the f140 super crew. I know first hand the crewmax is massive but I could not sacrifice the bed space. The crewmax has less than 5ft of bed. .
The Tudra double cab has a 6.5' bed or an optional 8' bed...not 5.5'. The crew max has a 5.5' bed.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-03-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
I can't see why this is such a big topic. Drive them, stare at them, and buy the one YOU like best. They are both great trucks.

The Toy may have a better resale though (I may be be wrong on that but trucks in general have good resale)
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-04-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
yeah - I looked it up for 2012, I am wrong, lol. BUT why did the beds seem so much smaller than that when I was looking at them? Oh wait, it was still 2011 when I was looking? Did they make a body/frame change for 2012?
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-04-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I did the same topic about 2 months ago, then I drove the GMC with the 6.2 and bought it. I really liked the f-150 but the dealers where all asses and did not want work with me on the price. I like to know what the price of the truck out the door is, all they want to do is this is what you payment will be, and I hate that. Also I had a ford 6.0 and we all know about that problem for had. so I'm not sold on the ECO Boost yet. I really did not like the inside of the Toyota and they are butt ugly unless you put a leveling kit and rims on them.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-04-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Easy decision for me... F-150

Reasons:
  • Better interior
  • Microsoft Sync = best Nav in the business
  • Better gas mileage in either the Ecoboost or the 5.0L
  • Newer body style = better resale down the road
With that said, the Tundra is a nice truck and the 5.7L with 4.10's is a beast. But I don't like the vanilla interior and the fact that the body style is long in the tooth.