Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-03-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
This is an actual photo of James by Sean Ward of Sean Ward Photography - but Sean messed with the color and made everything but the board B&W, do we have some other photographaers than can work magic?

Upload
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-03-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Like this?
Upload

Or this?
Upload

Yup...
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-04-2007, 4:05 AM Reply   
It ain't magic.

what Sean created is similar to a technique that has been used for 150+ years. I learned it in photography school* way back in the '70's (before digital photography and photo shop).

If you don't want to create the image using a computer -

Print a Black and White negative on paper (not RC Paper) and bring out the Doctor Martin dyes.

You simply dye the areas on a B&W print that you want colored.

*The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-04-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I beg to differ...it IS magic.
To take something "average" and make it "spectacular" is magic. To draw emotion and peak an interest - magic. To trick the eye - magic.
Ed, please don't talk to my kids about Christmas...because I think there's a little magic there too...even though we all have a pretty good idea how it's done.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Magic? Nearly anything in graphic you even didnt dream of is my job
Only what you need is quality input.

now in video too...
Old     (breezy4421)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-04-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
This is one of the many edited pictures I have done. There is so much you can do to make the picture look cool. This is the famous James Walker.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            03-04-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Hey Bre - we have the first one framed - you are so talented.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-04-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
It's genetics I'm sure. Just like James.
Old     (hoookwake)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-04-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
How About Best Faked Photo, they always give me a smile.}
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-05-2007, 2:10 AM Reply   
the technique for Bre's two photo is called "posterization" (american translation).

This was made popular in a monthly photo magazine around 1975.

This too, ain't magic :-)

Now, the ideas that Mike Walker comes up with for a wakesurf board...tht's magic!
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-05-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
Ed, can you explain to us the difference between the darkroom techniques for posterization and for solarization as well as their respective places in the pop photo art scene?
That oughta keep Ed busy for a while.
In the meantime...here's another

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Ed,
Magic would be taking a picture of wakesurfing at Lake Clermont and making the water look somewhat inviting.
Greg,
Nice work on that last one.
Dennis
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-05-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Denns,

I have no idea where Lake Clermont is. Can't help you there.

Gregg, quick and dirty - solarization is done while the print is in the soup and image just starting to form. Hit it with a strobe, throw it in the fix until desired effect is achieved.

Funny, I was wondering when someone would bring up solarization.

Respective places in pop art? Purely subjective.

Even though I have a degree and 23 years experience in the field, I'm one that has always considered Photography a craft and not an art.

I love your wakeboarder shot!

(Message edited by ed_g on March 05, 2007)
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-05-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Ed, ya make me smile...
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-05-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Ed-
Photography isn't a craft, quilting is.
You'll never be able to 'craft' a photo.
Even a degree and 23 years experience will never yield such an ability.

(Message edited by themilelowclub on March 05, 2007)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-05-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Enhance...
Enhance...
Enhance...
Oh, just print the damn picture!!
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-05-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hey Gregg,
Can you show us the actual pic that you enhanced from?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Hey Ed,
My bad I thought it was a Lake. I guess you call that body of "water" The Clermont Chain.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
This is fun
Upload
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-05-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
Arun shot this a couple years back.
Here ya go...
Upload

I used it as a punch line for a thread on who has the largest wake.

The 3 legged guy was a punchline for a thread on toxins in the delta.

The big head girl I used as part of joke too.
A thread about wake fashions.
Steve Madden meets hyperlite.
This was before any closed toe bindings existed.
Like this:
Upload
Upload
Furry Ugs were just hitting the scene...
Upload
Upload

Wow, I haven't looked at these in years. In retrospect, I am quite the visionary...
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2007, 2:19 AM Reply   
Morning Dennis!

Yes, it is the Clermont Chain of Lakes.

Make it inviting?... how does a water temp of 74 on March 4 at 10:45 am (and temp is rising daily), and never a fee to use the boat ramp or parking lot.

Some of the best wakeboarders and wakeboarding coaches in the world don't seem to mind being on the Clermont Chain of Lakes.

Clermont is listed in Waterski Mag as one of the top six places to visit for watersports during the winter months.

How about your home lake? :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-06-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Hey Ed,
I am sure that your chain of lakes are great. My thought was it would take "magic" to make them look inviting to get into the first time. The tannic acid does give them a color that is not as appealing as some of the lakes in my county.Upload
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-06-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
hey Gregg,
where can I order those grey boots with pink shoe strings. My daughter really loves them, Who makes them? I looked all over the internet and can't find them.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2007, 2:05 AM Reply   
Hey Dennis!

help me with this...lets say that someone dropped to earth from another planet,

would they prefer to be in Florida with blue skies and warm brown water or in California with the warm brown air and cold blue water?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
California! In addition to the Lakes and Rivers we have mountains to snowboard, (real) waves to surf and don't have humidity levels so high you can drink the air.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Heres on I did to show one of my classes about PhotoShop
Upload