Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    switch22            08-05-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum--I've been checking out this one and the one at wakeboarder.com and appreciate all the opinions out there.

Quick background...currently slogging in '89 Reinell 18.5' I/O with 550lb fat sack. Starting to get inverts and spins down, so looking to upgrade boat to better wake to keep progressing. Wife now pregnant, which is great, but now new boat budget is slashed as a result.

So as far as under $20,000 goes, can anybody point me to a brand and model that, with a tower/extended pylon and a good amount of weight, has a hull that throws a wake at all comprable to the new wake-specific boats out there?

I've been told by a local guru that Nautiques, Malibus, and Sangers are top notch (he said most MC's are solid but the late '90s ones had some design change issues), followed by Supras, Supremes, and Tiges (not necessarily in that order).

I ride on the Columbia up here in WA/OR a lot, so sometimes I have to go through rough water in order to get to the rideable stuff, so rough water ride is important.

I'd like to get something soon cuz I feel stunted behind the Reinell, but there's a possibility later in the winter of slightly increased budget, and a '99 Sanger V210 might be available at my local dealer then for $24-25K.

Sorry so long, but again, any ideas for right now under $20K? Please, I want everyone's .02 worth! Thank you so much!
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-05-2003, 11:31 PM Reply   
well if youre in rough water i would not include the nautiques, they are a great boat but my experience her the river out here is a rough one... for 20k i assume youre looking for a mid 90s boat, in that case do NOT look at tiges, to put it simply until around 2002 model year they suck, and most people will agree. ive never been in a sanger, but the pictures of the wakes on the board look sick... and ive heard theyre good in rough water... maybe my fingers have been possesed cuz i cant stop typing... or maybe im just tired and should go now... right... uhhh... yea... im going now
Old    switch22            08-05-2003, 11:37 PM Reply   
yah jax I was thinking anywhere in the '90s. I've heard similar things about the '90s Tiges. thanks for the help!
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-06-2003, 12:23 AM Reply   
Tony,

My dad has that exact same boat, and when I moved to Arizona, I picked up a 1990 Malibu for $10,400. I noticed great improvement in my riding, mostly because of easier speed control. It's no new Super Air or Malibu Wakesetter, but for the price, it does pretty good for me. I just weigh it down with 550 lb in the back seat, with proper technique, good air is achieved. If you're willing to spend more, you might pick up a 95-97 Sport Nautique. I've seen people put about 1000 lb on the back seat area. The only downside to getting a Sport over an Air or Super Air is the ballast bags will be in your way. Check out boattraderonline.com. If you're willing to drive a little, you can pick up a great deal. My $.02.
Old    switch22            08-06-2003, 6:38 AM Reply   
thanks, rocket, are there any models of malibu from the '90s that I should stay away from, or are they all pretty good? I don't know much about the models they had before 1998. is the sport nautique the same hull as the air or super air?
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2003, 7:36 AM Reply   
I have a '96 Supra Sunsport, the wake is really nice and it has plenty of power. If you could find one of those, its the same hull style as the Supra Launch direct drive, which has a killer wake. I would try to sell you mine, but I'm in south Mississippi and you are in Washington, long way to haul a boat.
Later
Tiffany
www.wakechicks.com
Old    switch22            08-06-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Tiffany! Yeah, I've heard that about the Sunsport--i'm looking into them. Anybody know if the Supra Legacy is also the same hull? Thanks.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
The legacy is a smaller boat. Its the open bow version of the comp, a slalom boat. Not sure what kind of wake you will get out of it. I think the boat was redesigned a few years ago to be more like the new sunsport hull. I'm not sure on that though. You can go to www.supraboats.com and check out the specs for each boat, although like I said above, they may have changed them a bit.
Hope that helps.
Tiffany
www.wakechicks.com
Old    callaway            08-06-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
Whats up Tony,

Here is my knowledge on boats around or under 20k:

1995-1998 Malibu Sunsetters are the same hulls as what Malibu now calls the Wakesetter (the Sunsetter VLX would be the equivalent to the Wakesetter VLX. and The Sunsetter LX is the same as a standard Wakesetter) and there are good deals out there from $18k-$25k (I know of a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter VLX where I live for $22,900) and these of course throw and awesome wake since they are the same hulls as the wakesetters. This would probally be my personal favorite.

1995-1998 Nautique Sport and Super Sport-These are the same hulls as the new Super Airs, the regular sport being a direct drive and the super sport being a v-drive. I have seen good deals on these range from $18k-$25k. These boats have and incredible wake, most will say they throw the biggest and best but it comes down to personal opinion.

1989-1994 Supra Sunsport-These have the same hulls as the first 4 years of production of the Supra Launch.They are direct drive and can be had for anywhere ranging from $9k-$20k. I believe the 89-91 had either wood floors or partial wood floors so that would be something to watch out for, if you went with a 91 or under i would check the floors for rot. These boats throw an awesome wake also. I dont believe the legacy is the same hull. I believe the brand new Launch shares its hull with the Santera.

1992-1999 Mastercraft Prostar 205-These boats have the same hull as the Original X-Stars. I believe most of them are Direct Drive. These can be had from as low as $15k for a 1992 as far up as $25 for the newer ones. Awesome boats, awesome wakes.

1984-1989 Ski Natique 2001- These boats will throw a massive wake almost as big as the new Super Airs. However they do have wood floors and stringers and that would be something to watch out for if you went this route. However they are also small and are not open bow, however awesome boats for the money. They can be had anywhere from $6k-$12k

1988-1992 Malibu Sunnsetter-These are awesome boats and will throw a sweet wake when waited, they too have wood floors and stringers. They are nice and pretty roomy at almost 21 feet long. I happen to own a 1992 Malibu Sunsetter Euro F3 myself and love it. However, these boats do not do really well in rough water as the back of them is flatbottom, and you mentioned you need something that rides good in rough waters, so if you decide to go the Malibu route I would look into the 95 and up Sunsetters especially since they share the same hull as the Wakesetter and will ride better in rough water and also throw a pro level wake. If you are interested in the boats still they run anywhere from $8k-$12k.

I hope that this information helps you out in your boat search! I can think of a few others but I have listed the most popular and best choices. The best boats I listed that are the same as the expensive new boats are the 1995-1998 Malibu Sunsetter, The 1995-1998 Nautique Sport and Super Sport, and the 1992-1999 Mastercraft Prostar 205, as these boats all have the same hulls as the newer boats in each of their respective brands. Good luck with your search!

Also here are the best internet boat sites to search for used boats: www.boattrader.com, www.flipsell.com, www.usedboats.com, and www.iboats.com
I would also look in the classifieds sections wakeworld.com and wakeboarder.com.

-Callaway

(Message edited by Callaway on August 06, 2003)

Old    switch22            08-06-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Callaway, that is the best post I ever could have hoped for! Thanks so much for the info--that's gonna help a lot. Just for well-roundedness, any thoughts on the Sangers as compared to the ones you mentioned? Just cuz the nearest dealer to me is a Sanger.
Old    callaway            08-06-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Tony,

Always glad to help a fellow wakeboarder and boater . I too spent alot of time researching boats in my price range as I have moved up into better boats, as well as researching boats out of my current price range but hopefully in my future price range
From what I have read on wakeboarder.com and wakeworld.com the Sanger V210 has an awesome wake! Also the owners seem to be really pleased with them and Ive heard they are solid boats. Sanger has been around for a long time and everything ive heard about them has always been good. I have noted that recently I have seen some post about problems with some of the newer mercruiser engines (however the problems I read about were not with Mercruisers in Sanger boats, but in a different brand of boats), not sure if its just very recent ones, but I have also read of many other owners that have had no problems with their newer mercruisers, maybe some one can chime in and give us a little more info on that, but I know in the past they have always been pretty good (I have a 350 Mercruiser in my 1992 Malibu Sunsetter Euro F3 and it runs great! *knock on wood* ) Here is a review I found on a V210 from waterski magazine: http://ebrochures.worldpub.net/Body.jsp?ID=61570&page=Product&subPage=/review_content&reviewID=2899

Also you might be interested in browsing around waterski magazine at the boat reviews (they have articles including alot video reviews of alot of the boats): www.waterskimag.com (just click boats in the menu on the left hand side)

-Callaway
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
Just so you'll know, the Ski Nautique 2001s were made from 1982-1989. Great boats, great wake, but if I had around 20k, I'd get a boat with an open bow. Not like anybody sits up there anyway, it's easier to get stuff out of it and it's easier to get in and out of the boat at the dock.
Old    norcal_99            08-06-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
I'd get a boat like Peter Chandler had. I think it was a 1997 Sport Nautique with an open bow. It had an awesome wake.

Old    callaway            08-06-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
Woops my bad, when i was typing 1984 i was thinking it might have been from 1982 , btw fuel saw the pics of your Nautique rebuild awesome work man! Congrats!

-Callaway
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-06-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
Check out my add in the boats for sale section. It's a '93 MasterCraft Prostar 205 with a Boss tower and ballast. It only has 240 hrs. on it!!! It is a great boat. Email me at jwaterson14@hotmail.com if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
Thanks, callaway. Maybe we can get together and ride sometime. We normally ride on the Brazos, but I plan to check out Lake Brownwood sometime this season.
Old    switch22            08-06-2003, 7:51 PM Reply   
jwat142, I saw your ad this morning and was totally stoked about your boat, until I saw you're in Indiana! d'oh! I'm looking at the map above my computer now and that's a loooooong way away from me here in WA state. otherwise I'd definitely be scheduling a test ride. thanks though!

--Tony
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-06-2003, 8:59 PM Reply   
The Sanger will give you as good of a wake as anything out there, on a dollar for dollar basis. Lots of 'em on the west coast.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-06-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
My boat was actually an Open Bow Ski Nautique, but for a ski boat had a great wake. The Sport Nautiques have one of the all time great wakes until 1997 when they changed the hull. My friend just sold his earlier this year without a tower and it was clean as can be. Sport Nautys can be had for a reasonable price and has a wake that will never hold you back. The Mastercraft Prostar 205 has a huge wake as does the Supra Sunsport. Ahhh!! so many choices. Do not let distance stop you from buying a nice boat. Shoot I just bought a truck in Colorado and I live in Cali. Long drive home but well worth it.
Old    frontsideshiftd            08-07-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
Tony,

I have a 94 Mastercraft Prostar 205, EFI, Extended pylon, racks, speakers for sale in Az. I'm trying to get some pics to post. Shoot me an email if interested. frontsideshiftd@yahoo.com
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       08-07-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
for teh money i would look for a sanger great boats don't own one but ride my friends all teh time very good handling clean wakes way back at 85 feet. they r teh best rough water boat i have been in. plus there wake is pretty close to teh natiques