Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-10-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
Yesterday while riding I found that my heater is leaking water in my boat. Today I checked the hoses to see if they might be the leaking point but I don't think they are. I don't know what the inards of the heater consist of, but I suspect that the leak is inside. Has anyone had a leaking heater? Any suggestions of things I can check without having to take it to the dealer? It's under warranty but I hate to wait 2 weeks to get my boat in for a heater leak. Can I just by-pass the heater by bridging the two hoses? Thanks.
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
YMMV but I found I could bridge the two hoses. I think a regular garden hose fixit kit from Home Depot works. Measure everything to check. If it's under warranty, definitely have someone else fix it. I would call the dealer to clear bridging the hoses so they won't mess with you on the warranty work when you bring it in. Otherwise, if you have to fix yourself, it's sort of a pain but auto parts stores carry the heater core. You bring in the old one and they find the right picture in their catalog and match you up. For my Heatercraft 2 vent, it was something like a 1977 Lincoln heater core. Good luck.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-10-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
Mine leaked on me once and I took the core out and soldered where the pipe joined the core. Worked for years after. A bypass can be had from any auto parts store.

Paul has some good ideas on calling to let them know so there are no warranty issues.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
I could have written this post last week. My Heatercraft was also leaking hot water onto my subwoofer and feet (ugh) and it turned out to be the heater core. Yes you can bypass it and ship it off to Heatercraft under warranty to get repaired or replaced.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-11-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'm on my fourth heater core. When they blow, it's easy to bypass them at the motor. To fix it, you have to drill out the rivits and replace the core in the box. My dealer keeps them in stock and doesn't charge me to replace them. I do it myself. Beats making an appointment and going through that "rigamaroll."
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Most of the heaters use a standard auto heater core. Take it to a automotive store and they can find a replacement for about $70.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
Called the dealer.
They OK'd me taking the heater out and bringing it to the shop. I'll just have to buy some peices to make the bypass today. Thanks all.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
"pieces" that is.
Old    clint            08-11-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
My buddy had a heater core go bad waaaay out on Lake Powell. Using our best MacGuyver skills, we made a bypass out of a tube of chapstick. The trick was to not overtighten the hose clamps. It worked nicely for the rest of the trip. He had a radiator shop repair the core.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
I bought a Hose repair kit for $2.50 tonight and bypassed the core. I took the core out and sure enough I can see the spot where the leak is. Hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement quickly from the dealer.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-11-2003, 9:07 PM Reply   
Sometimes if it is at the hose connections of the heater core, it will become stronger to solder it with a torch.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-11-2003, 9:07 PM Reply   
Mike, you're the Palmer riding "funky" stance snowboard guy, huh? How you been? We should hit the water one of these weekends. Are you going to Pedro for the GW event? If not, you should. Speaking of cores, no pooh-pooh but I actually replaced mine today. They are a royal pain but really, really good to have in the winter. Hope all is well.

MP
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 9:22 PM Reply   
Hey Matt. Yep, that's me. I've been good. I think I saw you out on Kimmy and John's boat last weekend. I stopped to come back to say hi but I got closer and wasn't sure it was Kimmy and John. I didn't want to freak anyone out by coming towards them so I just headed out when I thought it wasn't them.
We should definately ride sometime. I try and get out as much as I can. I am going to try and meet up with BLABEL and Melissa when they come up from SD the weekend of the 22nd though. Talk to ya later!