Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (bruce_a)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
G'day folks, its finally time to buy the kids their wakeboard boat. I have shopped like crazy and have narrowed it down to 2 options at comparable prices. My kids are 15 and 12 and this is their 2nd season on a board. They have each taken a few lessons and can do a few easy tricks.They will be on the water every day this summer.
Option 1.
2008 malibu V Ride, 20 hours, 320 hp, Illusion tower, full warranty
vs
2006 Mastercraft X-2, 160 hours, 350 hp, loaded with options.

They are both beautiful boats, but for beginner to intermediate boarders, is there a huge difference in the performance?

Bruce
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-11-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I think they are both great boats and well allow your kids to progress and have fun, and whatever you get there lucky to have a dad as cool as you to support there hobby! Sure beats the old Glastron outboard I grew up boarding with!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-11-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
Oops I forgot, I own a malibu so I'm suppose to tell you to buy the malibu! lol Just Kidding
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Although I didn't pick either of those boats they were both on my short list. I rode in both boats and liked the V-Ride much better. In my opinion it was put together better, didn't seem as cheap and appealed more. Plus I liked the tower on the V-ride much better. It was lower and it folded down better.

Good luck with your decision!
Old     (jeb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
I had an 04 VLX and it was a great boat. That was what I got my kids for there first wakeboard boat. They still have a long way to go, but they loved that boat. My youngest cried the day the new owner came to pick it up when I sold it. Little did he know that I had a new Wakecraft on the way for him. Now he loves that boat. I am sure your kids will like anything you get them, just make sure you go for a ride before you purchase. I could not belive what a difference doing a demo can make. Since I am a rep for Wakecraft, before I will sell any boat to a new customer I always take them on a demo. Last thing I want is someone that bought the wrong boat because it was not what they expected and them bashes my brand. Doing a demo and spending a couple hours on the lake with a customer allows them to find what they do and don't like and lets me make sure that I am selling the right fit.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Sandy, if I remember correctly you were looking at an X1 or older X2, right. The 06 X2 is the newer style and even though it is a foot and a half shorter than the Vride it is much bigger inside. Another thing to consider is how meticulous you maintain your boat and how anal you are. The mastercraft is better suited to being pretty hard on it. It has snapout carpet which is really nice when the boat gets wet or dirty. If you are anal about it the Vride will be fine but you have to keep somewhat dry and clean otherwise it is a pain in the arse to shampoo carpets. Although the X2 may not have as good of a wake as the vride, assuming the vride has triple ballast and wedge, the X2 ballast is under the floor and the boat has way more storage. I like both boats but it would come down to price. I wouldn't pay more than low 40's for either of the boats.
Old     (bruce_a)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Thanx to all for the feedback, I can get either boat in the 44-45 range, and those are Canuck bucks.
My daughter is a Mastercraft fanatic and my son loves the Malibu, so I will keep watching the feedback. We are test driving them both on the 18th.
Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
That should put you right in there at very fair prices.
Old     (bruce_a)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
BTW thanx Robert for the kind words, , you wanna know cool? I am selling my Lund Pro V and downsizing the fishing machine to make room on the dock for this new boat!!!
Old     (bruce_a)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-17-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thanks to all who answered, your help and advice was greatly appreciated. I will post a picture next week of the new machine.