Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 12:58 AM Reply   
I currently have a Sony 4 channel marine amp. I think it is the only marine amp Sony makes. Long story short..it didn't really drive the 12 inch JL sub I just bought--unless you listen exclusively to german techno all day.. meaning I could hear the bass on some stuff if I really cranked it.. .
I have this..
Sony:

General
Class AB
Channel Operation 4
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms 4 x 60 Watts
RMS Power @ 2 Ohms 4 x 70 Watts
Total RMS Power 280 Watts
Peak Power Output 440 Watts
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2Ohms
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 80 - 20,000Hz
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 80 - 20,000Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 97dB
Frequency Response 20 - 20,000Hz

I was looking at this amp as a better choice to power the tower speakers(Rockford Fosgate-Power/Punch?)and the JL sub--and be ready to add components later?
Description

NEWEST MODEL!

THE ZX700.5 700 WATT RMS 5 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING CAR AMPS. THIS ONE AMP WILL DRIVE YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM. THE FRONT FOUR CHANNELS WILL POWER YOUR INTERIOR SPEAKERS AND GIVE THEM THE POWER TO BE LOUD AND AT THE SAME TIME HAVE AMAZING SURROUND SOUND. YOU WILL ALSO LOVE THE IMPROVED CROSSOVER FREQUENCY, WHICH WILL ENSURE THAT YOU GET THE RIGHT SOUNDS OUT OF THE RIGHT SPEAKERS.

THE CLASS D, BASS CHANNEL WILL PUMP OUT 400 WATTS OF EARTH-SHAKING BASS TO 1 OR 2 SUBS. THE BASS CHANNEL HAS A LOW-PASS CROSSOVER THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE DEEPEST AND CLEAREST BASS AVAILABLE.

KICKER IS KNOWN TO PRODUCE THE HIGHEST QUALITY CAR STEREO AMPLIFIERS. 100 WATTS OF KICKER WATTS ARE EQUIVALENT TO 300 WATTS OF AMPS MADE BY OTHER COMPANIES.

FEATURES:

* 85 watts x 4 @ 2 ohm+ 420 x 1 at 2 ohms
* 70 x 4 @ 4 ohms + 420 x 1 @ 2 ohms
* 130 x 2 @ 4 ohms + 420 x 1 @ 2 ohms
* Class D Sub channel is 2 ohm stable
* front and rear variable high-pass crossovers: 50-200 Hz @ 12 dB per octave
* variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover @ 12 dB per octave (subwoofer channel)
* efficient Class D sub channel
* 0-18 dB bass boost at 40 Hz
* 3, or 5 channel output
* Tri-Way capable
* dash-mountable remote bass level control
* speaker- and preamp-level inputs
* frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
* 4-way protection circuits
* Dimensions: 20" L x 2-1/8"H x 9-5/8"W

Think I should re power my sub with type of deal or another variety....I think I heard that most will favor a mono channel amp for a sub. This is not a marine amp--but will be well protected.
thanks
jg.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2009, 3:42 AM Reply   
That amp is basically a 4 chnl amp and a mono sub amp in a single chassis, so it will power your sub with either 210 W's rms or 420 W's rms, depending on what model JL sub you have (knowing what model will help avoiding another unsatisfactory decision). Kicker does make that in a marine version, it's the MX700.5

I'm guessing your tower speakers are R/F Punch automotive drivers in cans. How many do you have, 2 or 4? If you have 1 pair, I suppose you could run them in bridge mode and drive them with 130W's rms ea, or if you have 2 pair, then wired 1 speaker p/chnl will net you 70W's rms to ea speaker.

What components are you looking to add later? What amp do you have driving the cabin speakers? I would consider using an amp like the MX700.5 for the cabins and sub, then your other amps for the tower.
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Thanks--I actually have the JL 10 inch - 10W0v2-4
and 2 RF punch speakers in the Trantrum cans-these are running on the amp. The cabin speakers are Kicker KS600s and they are just on the stereo deck.

My question is really whether an amp upgrade would push the sub better even when not blasting Lil Wayne..(I am a middled aged w/m). Any other components I might run would probably mean more speakers...

thanks..
jg.

(Message edited by johnny_gatsby on November 30, 2009)
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
wish I had mine hooked up. still in the install phase, but I chose a jl 12w6 for my sub, and after studying a TON of amps, ended up wtih a rockford 500-1bd to power it. using a rockford 2ch for the tower and another 4ch for the in-boat.
about 2 weeks away from finishing it up..

I have heard to leave the sub on it's own amp or at the most, use the in-boat amp to run it. the 2 areas of the boat that end up using the most power are typically the sub and the tower speakers. to have them all running off one can run that single amp hard. personally, I'd use 2 amps if you can, or wire the boat/sub on one, and the tower on a separate 2 or 4ch amp.

just my .02
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Scott, are you going to run a second battery to power that....

jg.
Old     (sandm)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
already have one installed. def. recommended..

I came real close to buying kicker amps. they make good stuff. your whole system would benefit from amps, including the in-boat stuff. comparing deck power and amp power is apples/oranges.
I, too am middle age w/m, but i like a good loud system once in a while and deck power just won't do it cleanly..
tigemike hit it. power the in-boat and sub from one, and the towers from a separate if doing 2 amps.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
J,

The JL 10 inch - 10W0v2-4 is a single voice coil 4ohm sub, so yes, the Kicker 700.5 will drive it with 210 watts rms, which is almost 2x what it's getting now from the Sony.

I would wire the sub and your in-boat speakers to the 700.5 and run the towers off the Sony. $.02. This way, every body gets more power and you stay with a decent budget.
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Scott and Mike --thanks for the advice---could be a winter project. Mrs. Gatsby doesn't have to know about this one...

j.g.