Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (trentmalik)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
I am selling my 07 Malibu LSV and a guy who is interested in it wants to know if it's the diamond hull. He says he heard that Malibu made two hulls for the 07 and wants to know if its the diamond hull. Is this true and how would I know if its the diamond hull? Thanks for the help.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-24-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
Wakesetters do not have the diamond hull. The Responses and the the Sunsetters do.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-24-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
You CAN get the wakesetter in the diamond hull. Look at your paperwork, or your build sheet. If you don't have that stuff get your hull ID number and call up Malibu they will tell you.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-24-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Isn't the diamond Hull more desirable if your looking for a crossover ski/wakeboard boat? But it's not suppose to make as nice of a wake as the other hull?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-24-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Dustin you are wrong:

Here are pics of the difference
Black is the wake hull, white is the diamond
you can see the lip at the edge of the diamond hull compared to the wake hull.

Upload
Upload
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-24-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
BobT, if you haven't ridden both don't offer advise on the crossover, nothing pisses me off more than that.

My advise to anyone looking for a crossover who wants a good wakeboard wake is this.

If you have friends who are out with you a lot or you are a serious skier, consider the diamond. If you like to go cut in and out even somewhat agressive, but don't run a course, don't even consider the diamond hull.

I rode both skiing and boarding. I don't run a course, yes the wake hull was slightly bigger. No, none of my friends who don't run a course would really notice.

If you have occasional skiers out or non-competitive skiers, don't even consider the diamond!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-24-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Bob you are correct sir !
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Yo Brooke, chill! My statement was more of a question, not an offer of advice. Hence the question mark after the statement. No reason to get pissed. Not to mention your "advice" seemed to support my statement/question anyway?

"Isn't the diamond Hull more desirable if your looking for a crossover ski/wakeboard boat? But it's not suppose to make as nice of a wake as the other hull?"
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
I just get really pissed when someone asks about it and people automatically think crossover means it has to be a diamond. They need to consider how serious their skiing/boarding is. The diamond hull wake next to the real wake totally blows! You can argue with me, but I rode both for a few weeks, the boat set up identical. It was a HUGE difference!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
OK Brooke, thanks for clarifying.

On a side note, it amazes me how what appears to be such a small difference on the hull can make such a big difference with the wake. I'm not questioning or doubting the difference with the wake between the Hulls. It's just the engineering and testing that most go into designing these Hulls that amazes me. What an interesting job that must be.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-25-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have the diamond hull on my wakesetter lxi, and my buddy has the non-diamond on his sunetter LX. both are direct drives, and hands down his wake is way nicer. that is ok though, because I like my boat for many other reasons than just wakeboarding, and I can have plenty of fun wakeboarding behind it, just takes a little (a lot of) extra weight.

so basically what brooke says is spot-on. don't get the diamond hull if you mainly do wakeboarding with a little other stuff mixed in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
The LSV with the Diamond Hull throws an aewsome wake as long as you have the Wedge. Some people still think my wake was better than the LSV with the wake hull. I'll post pictures later.

I HAVE ridden both boats. Both produce greate wakes if you know how to weight them.

The one problem I had was the fact that Perfect Pass didn;t work worth a damn on the diamond hull.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Wake from the dimond hull.

Upload
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
perfect pass worked fine with both hulls on the VLX but we tried all sorts of weight combos. Without the wedge, that diamond hull was pretty useless.

We had extra weight all over the place in various wedge - no wedge and weight combos and I would say that the diamond hull on that VLX at the best we got it in that month was beat with the stock wakehull and wedge combo.

I just don't like to see/hear people being told they have to use the diamond if they might want to ski occasionally. It drives me nuts!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
and what's the weight/wedging with that?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Jarrod don't you have a MC X-2?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
All I know is I've seen both wakes unloaded in person. Diamond hull VLX from the boat and of course my v25 VLX. I would never consider either boat even close to a comp ski wake. My 01' x-star had a smaller wake when at speed and unloaded then the diamond hull. I think the word "crossover" fits and is nothing to get upset about. My friend got the diamond because he 50/50 wakes/ski's but doesn't do either in competition.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
We're talking LSV 23 I thought?

Brooke....That's 25 MPH with 550s in the back, a 500 in the walk, 300 in the nose in lead + the wedge. That's also 8 feet of water....so not the best depth for a boat that size to displace.

NU.. We have an X-star now. The X2 is gone.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-25-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
this is not a malibu statement: the way the diamond hull works is by creating the lip on the outer edge creates a pocket in the hull, "a chime," this in turn creates a small pocket of air when the bot is on plane with then creates less friction with = smoother, faster ride and better handling. i have rode and driven both. weighted and unwieghted. unwiegthed the sunscape lsv did fell like it planed slightly quicker and felt slightly "grippy" in corners. more than the ws, and the wake a ski speeds was a tad smaller, but still wide and had a little lip, it cant be compared to a true ski hull, i.e. the responce. when wieghted and wedge down the sunscape does produce a decent wake but thats with center ballest only in the one i demoed, add to it bow and rear ballest with power wedge and maybe it will catch up to its evil brother the ws.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
J-Rod that's pretty close to the best setup we found with the VLX-Diamond too. It was nice, but then the real hull showed up and it was just as nice with stock and way better with the extra.

All I'm trying to get across here, is ... I won't even start again.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
You cannot get the same wake out of the diamond hull as you can out of the wake hull bottom line. You can't really argue that fact, the only people that try to argue this point are the ones that bought the diamond hull and all they do is wakeboard.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
suckers with their fakesetters...
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-26-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
That would be "chine".
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
the diamond hull has a reverse chine and a keel pocket to trap air beneath the hull, wich creates more hull lift therefore less wake.

Now that's the explanation of the hull, the way it applies with X weight at X speeds is beyond my knowledge

(Message edited by luchog on July 26, 2007)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
chine sorry, the keys are too close together. luchog so what our syaing is you just simply agree with my post but needed to say it again?
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
by the way a serious course skier wouldnt buy either one.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Bryan, the key word is "reverse chine"

some people argue that reverse chine hulls only work on high speeds, and that reverse chines are the cause for chine walking on many boats.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
good point! i have a picture around here of my old hondo runner bottom. it shows the chines real well. and you could feel them working at 100 mph.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Sweet...NOW I can put a wake hull on my response LXI and put my self in the hospital with broken eardrums once a month while running 36 @ 38 off. Appreciate the help Brooke!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Not talking response's here, wakesetter's with the diamond hull (stupid idea) Stay with us...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
"You cannot get the same wake out of the diamond hull as you can out of the wake hull bottom line. You can't really argue that fact, "

I can. A couple of my crew still think my boat produced a better wake than a comparably weighted "Wake hull" 23 LSV. It was a little different, but by no means better. I have ridden quite a bit behind both.

"the only people that try to argue this point are the ones that bought the diamond hull and all they do is wakeboard."

I haven't owned the boat in 2 years, so this isn't a pride thing. I'm sure most people will agree with you. But this was my experience.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Jarrod what year was this boat?
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
NU...I know..just playin to Brooke's fury!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
dustin, you only confused me and I don't really care what people do as long as they're informed on what they're really getting. Or at least ride a few setups to make the decision.

The diamond hull on the fakesetter was still a step up from our D-Drive 95 sunsetter.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
What's with the Fakesetter comments? You realize that's where the wakesetter started, right? Even their first comp boat was a Sunsetter VLX with a WS graphic, and everyone loved it.

Nu, it was an 01.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
that's the past, I thought that was a pretty common name for them.

and it's faster than saying wakesetter with a diamond hull over. wakesetter and fakesetter ... it's just easier
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I thought the sunsetter back in the day rode on the SV23 wake hull and the diamond hull came out later.

Also the 01 23LSV hull is a lot different than the current 23LSV hull which started in 04 I think so Jrod's experience may not hold for the newer boats.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Yours is a wake hull not a Diamond....I was there when it was ordered.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Is it true that Malibu will be manufacturing this boat in South Africa with a blood diamond hull?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Nice coment shoe
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
Jarrod your facts don't hold true for today's Malibu's. Let's talk about something newer than 2001, please. I'm talking about the V25 wake hull vs the diamond hull.
Old     (cresko)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
I ride an 07 VLX with diamond hull, and trust me the wake gets big. I dont ever see this boat holding me back. Compared to a wake hull there isnt a lot of difference until at ski speeds. The diamond hull will lift off the water due to the air pockets. At slow wake speeds, there is no lift.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-26-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
See my comment above about diamond hull owners. I'm sure the wake is fine, just different than the V25 wake. You must have been one of those who's dealer told them you'd never know the difference, and ordered all his wakesetter's with the diamond hulls.