Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
I have a 06 f150 that can run on E85! Can i run straight E85? do i have to run gas 50% of the time? Is there more maintenance to the truck when you run E85?
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-17-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
you can just run it, but unless it's cheaper than gas it's not worth it. You will get worse fuel mileage with the E85, I read an article somewhere that said E85 needs to be .50 cheaper per gallon to break even running it.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
I paid $2.89 today for E85, and gas is going for $3.29 to $3.49! I figured even if it is a break even atleast i would be supporting it!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-17-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
I have an 07 Tahoe that uses it. I get 14.8 average with 87 octane, and I get 11.5 with E85. With Gas at $3.49 here, for it to be a wash E85 would have to be less than $2.72 to make it worth it, but it's at $3.09.

I suppose if you experience a much greater amount of satisfaction from using cleaner burning fuel than the dissatisfaction from the loss of range (I can make it 79 miles further with regular gas) it would be worth it, but I'll put the $9 difference on 355 miles of driving (a full tank of regular gas) in my boat instead.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-17-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
They say e85 needs to be 33 cents per gallon cheaper to make it worth while, try not to mix, and run at least 4 gallons of one or the other.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
This might help:
E85 has an octane rating of 105, which is higher than typical commercial gasoline mixtures (octane ratings of 85 to 98); however, it does not burn as (see table onefficiently in traditionally-manufactured internal-combustion engines. Additionally, E85 contains less energy per volume as compared to gasoline. Although E85 contains only 72% of the energy on a gallon-for-gallon basis compared to gasoline, experimenters have seen slightly better fuel mileage than the 28% this difference in energy content implies. For example, recent tests by the National Renewable Energy Lab on fleet vehicles owned by the state of Ohio showed about a 25% reduction in mpg) comparing E85 operation to reformulated gasoline in the same flexible fuel vehicle. Results compared against a gasoline-only vehicle were essentially the same, about a 25% reduction in volumetric fuel economy with E85.

So you need the E85 price to be at least 25% cheaper...

(Message edited by timmyb on May 17, 2007)