Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-15-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
I’m looking for a great spot to camp (32 ft RV and tent) on a lake that is good for boarding in the Southeast. Anywhere in southern Kentucky, Tennessee, northern Alabama or northern Georgia would be peachy (millions of peaches, peaches for me). Ideally, the spot would be secluded and beautiful but also offer all the modern amenities (power & water hookups, shower and convenience store type groceries or better). But most importantly, the place must have a lake with a good boat launch and if not butter, at least lightly swirled margarine conditions with a minimal amount of boat traffic. Is that to much to ask?

Any suggestions, Bueller, Bueller, Beuller???
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-15-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Have you tried Lake Keowee? Beautiful lake especially at the northern end. There are a few nice campgrounds. There is also a great area with a waterfall & sandy beach.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-16-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion Greg. We went camping at Jocassee (beautiful but the water was too damn cold) two summers ago but we have not checked out Keowee. It is on our list of lakes to see, but not this time. This trip we are meeting up with family from Missouri so we are trying to meet them halfway between there and Charleston.
Old    ryno007            05-16-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Check out Carter Lake in N. Georgia, near Ellijay. My father-in-law owns a cabin near there, and I've pulled my boat up there a couple of times. Never camped there, but they have a nice marina and RV area on the eastern shore. You can find plenty of good sheltered coves to ride in, but get a nav chart from the marina to make sure you don't get into any real shallow areas. As with any mountain lake, it gets windy in the afternoon, but the mornings are butter. Tends to be less crowded than the other N. Georgia staples, since it's further up out of Atlanta. I hear Blue Ridge Lake is nice too (a little further north), but I've never been there.
Old     (mbouchard)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Lake Chesdin in VA - glass on the weekends with no one there but 3 bass fisherman and maybe 1 other wakeboarder....
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
If you're going to be in Northern GA, you should consider checking out Lake Wateree State Park in South Carolina. Lake Wateree is our home lake, 13,000 + acres of water and the park is very nice....quite, secluded on it's own island, and has a nice dock and all the hook ups. You will have to either beach or take the boat out at night. It's located about halfway between Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC. Plus, the lake is not as busy as some other area lakes. You can find nice coves all day and you can float out in the middle of the lake late in the day and get perfect glass on the big water.

There are a few other Campgrounds around Wateree with slips too, so check it out.

DC

Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-17-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to add several of these to my "Lakes to Do" list.

I think we are going to end up at Logan Landing on Logan Martin Lake in Alabama because of all the kid activities at the campground (so much for the secluded butter I was looking for). Oh well, it's all good, I'm sure we will have fun. Does anybody board on Logan Martin and how are the conditions? I noticed the Alabama INT League has some events there.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-17-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
You might also check out Tugaloo Park at Lake Hartwell between Lavonia, GA and Martin, GA. It's sort of crowded sometimes on weekends but the lake is almost entirely bass boats and pontoons so even when it is crowded it doesn't get that choppy. Plus Tugaloo Park puts you in a good spot for boarding since the narrowish channels are more than wide enough to board in and it's fairly secluded compared to the rest of the lake.
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Try Center Hill Lake in Tennessee. It is never crowded, has nice campsites (with spots for RV with water and power hookup, showers, etc...), and is amazing for wakeboarding. All over the lake there are little coves that you can go in, and never run into another boat. The whole lake is surrounded by huge hills, so wind is never a problem... and dont worry about water, you'll get butter all the time here. Many spots to launch your boat. If your interested, there is also a really cool waterfall that you should check out. Overall, this is pretty much the lake your looking for. Very nice sceney, and the lake is very clean.
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention that you should check out their website. Has good information, maps, and whatever else you might need.

http://www.orn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/

http://www.centerhillmarina.com/lake.htm
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-17-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Wow, Center Hill looks great! Unfortunately, other participants in this little expedition are pretty set on Logan Martin and in fact I think reservations are already being made. I’m going to check and see if I can convince them otherwise. I’m definitely going to have to check out Center Hill Lake at some point.
Upload
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Other great lakes in TN are Norris and Dale Hollow. Very similar to Center Hill deep, narrow coves- lots of glass.