Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-08-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
i have tried raleys a few times before but everytime i get up there i throw the rope and bail, so this week i decided i would nut up and pull it down. i paid for it. i went huge and started pulling the board down too late. i caught my front edge and it was lala land for me. next thing i new my dream was ending with me taking water in through the nose. i started panicking because i had no idea where i was. of course everyone on the boat thought i was joking and so i was left to discover for myself what had just occured. i only got a wicked headache and stiff neck for it so i went out and tried again the next day. thankfully the results weren't as bad but i still haven't landed one. this post has no real purpose other than letting you all get some humor out of my suckiness so enjoy.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
at least you are trying, i havent got the courage to try one yet....

www.wakecoupons.com

www.snowcoupons.com
Old    wickedwake            07-08-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Most know the feeling
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
Bad subject...I'm sizing up Raleys. Thanks alot!
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
Raleys are actually quite an easy trick, its just a mind game. Get them down on the wakeskate, then try on the board, you won't pay so badly for stuffing up this way.
Old    wakesyco            07-08-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
The wakeskate thing never worked for me, because
you dont have anything to pull back down, your going about it the right way. you almost got it
Old    wickedwake            07-08-2005, 10:56 PM Reply   
"you dont have anything to pull back down"

your feet....
Old    dbritto1977            07-08-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
Last time I tried one in 2001 Ibroke 3 ribs, but didn't have the wake to do one, thinking about trying it again, balls out!!! Commit to it!!
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-08-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
ok umm the july issue of wake boarding mag. has a nice instructional on doing a raley and s bend. Now im not too keen on the wakeskate area, so bear with me. But how does the wakeskate stay on your feet in a raley if the board is flung behind you then brought back in front of you?
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2005, 5:41 AM Reply   
The wakeskate fly's behind you and you just pull your feet down and land in the water. If you don't get your feet back down it doesn't hurt without a board on your feet. There is no wipping affect like the common face plant x 10 brought on by a raley. By the way make sure you put your feet together on landing. :-)
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
I think the wakeskate is a great tool to get the feeling for a raley on, but it is different when you get the board on your feet. My biggest problem when learning a raley was cutting too hard too soon, then I wouldn't get the pop I needed, and I'd let go of the rope and my body would flail through the air like a rag doll and smack the water. I wish I had video. My suggestion is try it on the skate first to get a feel for the trick. One nice thing about a wakeskate is it's hard to overcut. Then keep in mind when you get the board on that you don't need the hardest cut ever. Think hard progressive edge and make sure you're hardest edge is at the peak of the wake. Look at the boat too. Another option I've seen people try is slowing down the boat and shortening the rope. It's gonna hurt a lot more at 22+ than it will at 16 or 17.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
How can you say its not the same with the board??? I landed it third time after trying that wakeskate idea. And the first two attempts I fell because I pulled the board back under too far and it slid out from under me. It is a mind game, and I don't like doing them, but still it is something every rider should learn.
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
i think my biggest problem was the lack of wake size. i am riding behind a yamaha ar 230 and my brother says i only get about 6 feet in the air when i'm extended. at first i was expecting to be able to hold it out for a while but after my tko i reallized that i would have to start pulling it down sooner. the next time i tried it i landed on the board but let go of the rope.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
Leo, most people can't cut nearly as hard on a wakeskate as they can on a wakeboard. That was my problem. I did one perfect with a skate first try. Then when I got my board on I tried to really "go at it" and was actually cutting to hard too early. Kawaik, the bigger the wake, the easier the trick is. I've never been behind one so I can't help you out there though. Maybe try slowing down the boat a little to beef up the wake.
Old     (jakesnyder)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-22-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
I learned a raley on a trampoline. After I gathered the courage to throw one the most important thing I had to remember was keep my eyes on the boat which forces you head up so you do not over rotate and to "break the handle" over you knee like you would a stick. Enjoy. I earned to concussions learning this trick but now its bread and butter.
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Definitetly check out the wakeskate! I was intimidated until i tryed first on a skate. Mainly b/c my 1st few attempts on the board went pretty badly. Did the skate 4-5 times, then went to the board last weekend. Brought the board back under me on the attempts, just couldn't seem to stick it. Any advise on sticking this damn thing??
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-23-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
As soon as the board is extended behind you PULL IT BACK!!! You can't leave the board behind you like shapiro when you are learning(learn from my mistake). Take a backroll cut and think about getting as much air as you can, don't worry about speed, I can almost throw them wake to wake. Raleys are a mind game, its all about confidence!! Slowing the boat down and wakeskates might be fine for some, but in my opinion don't even attempt one untill you have the mindset that "I am going to throw this huge and stick it clean and drop everybodys jaw in the boat" I learned them last summer and everybody in the boat would go crazy when I threw them, now I throw krypts and everybody is like "big deal, he does them all the time" I ride with some great riders from 19-44 years old, I am 30 with a bum ankle and the only one throwing them. So grow a pair and throw it with some confidence or leave the trick to us injured old men!
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
well i tried another one but couldn't stick it. sadly for the last three weeks i have been going through a vicious cycle where i get uber whiplash on a friday or saturday and have to wait a week before i try another big move. i have been working on my toeside game as well as getting some rotations in the trick bag so that occupies my weeknight. eff word, i don't think my neck has felt right for a month. isn't wakeboarding great?!?!