Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-28-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
At what point should a pregnant woman NOT come on the boat? I am mainly talking about going through chop in a wakeboat like an X1 that doesn't handle chop well, especially on a holiday weekend.

Any opinions? Never ok? Ok for the first trimester? Ok until birth? I am just throwing ranges out there to get opinions.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Until they are uncomfortable. My Wife rode along til about 6.5 months, which is also when she started the preggo 'waddle' walking around. Plus we always go out for 5+ hours so they usually pass by that point cuz its just a long time sitting in the same spot. Boat chop will not harm the child though. Double ups weren't comphy in the 3rd tri-mester. :-)
Old     (jhuff79)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-28-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
My wife was on the boat less than a week before our daughter was born. The doctor said there was no problem with it, just no wakeboarding. We have an X-1 but we say off the water during the busy times. I think she even drove the boat when I rode.

(Message edited by jhuff79 on August 28, 2008)
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-28-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Our baby is three months old. My wife was on the boat until about seven months. She was back on the boat about a month after.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-28-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
i think my wife was coming out until about 8 months, riding till about 4 or 5, maybe 6. i cant remember. then we had our daughter on the boat at 3 weeks old.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
Jason - My wife too...

We were at the lake on Sunday and in labor and delivery Tuesday....My wife's a champ!
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-28-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
i agree with jared, until they are uncomfortable. there is no harm and my wife pulled me around all summer. she stopped coming out when the heat was miserable for her and she couldn't get in the water because she could climb up on the swim platform. i think that was about 6 or 7 months.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-28-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
riding partners wife came along up til 3 weeks ago. had her baby last week.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-28-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
That's weird, during both my wife's and her best friend's pregnancies, they were told to stay off the boats, period. Different docs too...
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
My wifes due date is in 4 days & she'll be pulling me tomorrow morning & has been throughout the whole pregnancy. The first trimester the baby is definitely the most vulnerable.

(Message edited by pri3st on August 28, 2008)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-28-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
cosmocat - I had a friend say the same thing. That's why I was asking as I had never heard that. Obviously, we are in the minority so far.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Off the boat, period? That sounds extremely conservative.... What did they say about riding in or driving a car?

My wife downhill skied until 8 months.
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-29-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
my wife is 5 months preggers and she just landed her 1st railey...j/k. my wife is preggers and we were told its okay to ride in boat, BUT if it gets rought to be careful. you could hurt your baby if it gets bounced around hard inside there....
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-29-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Jason - Wakeboarding at 6 months pregnant? Wow, that seems like a bad idea. Our doctor freaked when my wife wakeboarded the day after we found out she was pregnant. She took a nasty fall that day too and we both wouldn't have been able to forgive ourselves if something happend to the baby because of it.

Our doctor said riding on the boat is fine for however long it is comfortable for the wife. I think the last time my wife was out was 7.5 or 8 months.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
My wife was told to stay off the boat for the first trimester. She was having some issues though, so the doctor put her on rest and not boating for a while. Once we hit the second trimester, good to go. Only thing is not taking wakes real rough, meaning I am typically slwoing down to almost idle if the water gets rough. Takes forever to get anywhere and burns a ton of gas, but a small price to pay to be out. My wife has the same issue of getting in the boat, getting on the platform causes some problem. My son and I try to help her out by splashing her while she sits on the platform.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
My wife is about 5 months and has been riding in the boat the whole time. We have a friend that was in the boat all summer while pregnant, not problems outside of the heat and sitting. My wife was even wakesurfing a little after we found out. Oh, we have an X1 as well.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-29-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Well, my wife talked to the doctor today and they suggested to not be on the boat at all, unless it is completely smooth.

i guess its a difference of opinion.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-29-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Doctors are just people...full of opinions, some of them more educated than others, but I don't think there is established fact that there is a 'right' time to not boat (talking about of my butt here). My wife wakeboarded until 16 weeks with doctor's approval, although to be fair she simply got up carved around for the exercise, not jumps. She didn't fall once over the summer...she was rather proud of her dry hair after every 15 minutes set. I think the fact that she was confident she wouldn't fall allowed her to rationalize riding, otherwise she probably wouldn't have taken the risk. Boating however...? Are these doctors thinking 3 week cruises and hurling over the rail or something. My wife is taking me out this pm, 5 months pregnant, and doc never said a thing regarding what I would consider everyday activities.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-29-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
+1 Loren...doctors don't know more about this issue than anyone else.

My guess is driving to the doctor's office is more risky for a pregnant woman that cruising around the lake.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Hey Matt, her OBGYN prolly thinks YOU shouldnt be out on that dangerous boat either! lol
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
My wife is 6 mo. pregnant with twins and still driving. She drove all summer with our first two kids who were both born in in Sept. I think they're better off driving where they can see all the bumps coming and know when to lift their a**.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
don't know about your area's roads, but my wife is 5 months pregnant and the boat is more comfortable to her than being in a car on most of the roads in south carolina.
Old     (62lincoln)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-29-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
HeLLo...This is Ricky G's Girlfriend Chene and We just had our daughter on the 21st and this was one of his biggest concerns..I was in the boat till i was about 6 months and pretty much wasnt aloud back on it untill after the baby was born coming from the baby daddy him self : ) We played it safe but just regular sets should be fine.. as far as double ups this is Rickys opinion..if you ask a doctor can my girlfriend/wife be in the boat and be able to handle double ups? how many doctors understand a double up? they dont know how fast or how harsh it is on the boat let alone a pregnant girl ...so my advise ... NO DOUBLE UPS !!! When it comes to the last few weeks...It may be the right thing to do is hop in the boat and have it be a lil choppy or go through some rollers so the baby can come down Quicker ... us women dont like the last few weeks so we try every trick in the book to get that BABY OUT !!!