Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old    quetho            06-06-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I am looking for a mid 80's wakeboard boat to learn on for the next few years or so and have it narrowed down to 86 malibu, 85 SN2001, 84 supra or Mastercraft Stars and stripes. Is the wake as good on the malibu, supra, and mastercraft or not? Is it neccessary to have a waketower on them? What kind of weight will we need with 3 or 4 guys in the boat? Any help would be great - thx
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-06-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
2001, a couple guys on here have one and the pics of the wake ive seen are insane.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-06-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Definately not the Stars and Stripes. Great ski boat, but no wake.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-06-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
if you want space, i would go with a malibu sunsetter or supra mariah. If all you want is a great wake, go with the 2001.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-06-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
I have got a Sunsetter and really like it. With ballast and a few people the wake is really nice and it's open bow which was a rarity back in the mid 80's. Where are you located, mine is going to be for sale at some point in the not so distant future.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 and love it. A tower is nice to have but you can get a fly high pole and will serve the same purpose.
All of these boats you have listed will have wooden stringers. You should check the stringers for rot, It is a big job to fix it later.
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-07-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Look in the for sale boats more than 5 years old. My buddy just posted his 82 correct craft 2001. I put a few pics of the wake on there. You cant find a wake like it on another boat its age. I see you live in Texas, he lives in College Station.
Old     (heater)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Frank, hows the water at Arrowhead? I just left the Falls in Jan. I was ther for 3 yrs. We went to Bridgeport every weekend. Good luck w/ a boat.
Heater
Old    quetho            06-07-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Water at arrowedhead sucks balls - you could catch something in it. We usually go to possum kingdom. how is bridgeport?

When is that sunsetter for sale - we want a boat in a few weeks. we are in wichita falls, tx

any one know about the supra sun sport or comp closed bow?
Old    quetho            06-07-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Hey I'm looking at a 86 malibu skier. Everyone is referring to the SN2001's as the best and just wanted a comparison of the two. The title says skier so what the wake like???
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-07-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
This post sounds more like "best old boat wake"

But, how about "best old boat with a nice wake"?

Older tristar open bows, nautique excels, older openbow supras etc....I dont profess to know much about these boats, but Im in the market for a late 80's open bow myself and I am not interested in a 2001.....any info would be appreaciated.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Mike, I think the best open bow 80s boat is either the sunsetter or the supra. The sunsetter is nice its a smaller boat then the supra comes with a merc 350 and throws a great wake. The supra is a huge boat usually a big block motor tons of room. I personally would go for the sunsetter for a couple reasons, gas in the bbc sucks, supras are famous for weak stringer and im not a fan of taking out 20 people when I ride.

I currently have a 89 malibu skier with every bell and wistle on it. I love this boat was my frist boat in my name, throws a great wake with two side sacs and a sac in the bow. Its for sale if your intrested but it its a closed bow.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I have ridden behind 2001's and my Sunsetter. Just like the Malibu's and Nautiques of today, the wakes are different. The 2001 has a vert wake and will send you up and it is a fairly narrow wake compared to the wider beamed boats of today, it is a great wake, but there isn't much interior room/storage. The Sunsetter is more vert and will send you out more than up, it has more room and storage. Mine has wooden floors and stringers that will need to be replaced before too much longer. The boat is in Central Alabama and will be for sale in two weekends. I am living in Florida now and that is when I have to head back to Florida to start school. PM if anybody is interested. I can take some pics.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Here is a sac'd out pic of my '83 2001. I may be biased, but of all the older boats, this hull just takes the cake. Why do you think that the hull looks so much like the SAN. Same basic shape just smaller.

Upload
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-09-2006, 4:47 AM Reply   
I'll say the 2001 too. But I'm just a little bit biased. Here's a pic - this one's not my Nauti though - with 1500 lbs in it.

Upload