Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
I want to try to surf but i have a i/o is it possible to.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
NO
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
Its a matter of safety. It may be possible, even if the wake is not that great, but having an exposed prop at the rear of the boat while wakesurfing would be very dangerous and most likely illegal in your state.

Its a tough answer to say you can't do it with your boat, but its just not safe.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-14-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
I would attempt to weight the boat first to see if it would work, then install one of these.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
That may prevent you from losing a limb, but won't make it safe. If you do do that, don't post about it or tell anyone. Its not a snobbish thing. If you are out wakesurfing behind an I/O, then you run the risk of hurting the sport for everyone else by possibly causing a change in laws or something. If you want to know what its like to wakesurf, come visit lake oroville and we will be happy to give you a ride on a great wake, and a great board. You also don't have to buy a new inboard, there are boats like the Sanger 215 or Tige 24v, or Centurion Avalanche that can be found used for a great price.

Be safe, friends don't let friends surf with exposed props. ;-)
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
Yes, you can try.

If you're really, really, really, really dumb.

(they kept it up even after we let them know how dangerous it was and offered them a pull on my buddy's boat)

p.s. bonus points for the two guys sitting on the regular side for a goofy surfette

p.p.s. extra bonus points for the guy in the bow snuggling the fluffy rat dog
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
Fools Like That Will Do Nothing But Hurt the Sport!!

cipher i gotta admit that post of yours is funny though ..... bonus points rock!!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
My daughter wants that rope -
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-14-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
I remember when we started wake surfing I did a little research on the internet and found this.....(Click on the skull and crossbones).

http://www.howtowakesurf.com/
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Got one on our lake behind a bayliner who thinks it's safe due to having a swim platform. So scary
Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
haha thanks every one i am deffinatly not going to try to surf behind my i/o
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
You can ride a surfboard behind an I/O with a 75ft rope and going 22mph. Otherwise dont, if you want to live another day!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
I think all of you are being too dramatic. I plucked a video from youtube of a guy surfing behind a 37ft searay.
You can clearly tell it is I/O driven by the signature I/O prop wash at the rooster tail. These guys are retarded for sitting on the back swim deck and not wearing life jackets, but they are doing it. Alot of I/O's are being manufactured with an overhanging swim platform that provides plenty of protection from a rider falling into the prop. I have an inboard and have never had anyone hit the back of the boat on a fall. People either catch edge, slide off edge or loose momentum in the pocket and fall back. We run like 10-11mph and a fall has never put someone on the back swim platform, where the outdrive/prop would be located on an I/O. The boat is just carrying too much forward momentum for it to happen. A surfer would have to get real close to the boat and have the legs of a track and field long jumper to make it to the boat at 10mph.

The post author asked if it can be done and the answer is yes in my opinion, with a large factory or aftermarket swim deck installed (preferably) or some sort of prop guard, it is doable.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
Here we go again....

Anyone ever actually heard of a wakesurfer getting caught in a prop? (Please don't post the machine shop accident pictures. We're talking wakesurfing here.)

Lot o' fast moving water coming off of that prop. I would be surprised if anyone could stick their hand in there and touch the prop. You'd have to somehow get ahead of the prop and get sucked into it.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate on this, but everyone talks about how unsafe it is. Yet, no one has ever heard of anyone getting hurt doing it.
Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-15-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Just don't do it behind an I/O or Outboard. You could do it 100 times and never have an issue its that one time you do get someone hurt that will ruin boating for you. Plus it does not take much for these fools in congress to ban a sport because they are so ignorant that they are just playing it safe. I live in a state where 99% of the cities have a ban on fireworks. My family and my frieds have been doing them for years without a single issue, its just that one family of screw ups that let a kid get hurt or burned down a neighbors house that resulted in the whole city getting punished with a ban. The same thing can happen to Wake Surfing. Don't screw it up for all of us.

I own an Outboard and really wanted to do the sport but did some research and saw how dangerous it is. That being the case I have never Wake Surfed and am waiting to do it when I can afford to trade up for an inboard. It sucks having to wait but what would suck more is having a friend or family member get seriously injured on my boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
This is one of those things....

Like riding a motorcycle without a helmet. They should keep it legal, thin the herd. The problem is, if more people do this, it could hurt the sport for others.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
NO...the answer is NO. Just don't do it. I'm with Bryan though...My daughter loves the pink rope, let the internet searching begin!
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-15-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
sounds like solid applied Darwinianism !
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2011, 5:07 AM Reply   
NEVER EVER, forget it.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-18-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
We've surfed behind my cousins 30 ft Sea Ray. Probably not the smartest idea but you're a good 10-15ft away from the outdrives. It would take some serious effort, practically a forward dive to go into the props. This thread makes me feel a lot more uncomfortable about it though! I'll stick with the SAN 210!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Here we go again....

Anyone ever actually heard of a wakesurfer getting caught in a prop? (Please don't post the machine shop accident pictures. We're talking wakesurfing here.)

Lot o' fast moving water coming off of that prop. I would be surprised if anyone could stick their hand in there and touch the prop. You'd have to somehow get ahead of the prop and get sucked into it.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate on this, but everyone talks about how unsafe it is. Yet, no one has ever heard of anyone getting hurt doing it.
Had a friend who lost some teeth on a fall into the swim deck, had it been an I/O he would have lost more than that. Sorry but it's completely possible to end up int he prop of an I/O, just takes one bad move by the driver or rider. Not worth the risk.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-19-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
This is like another subject that bothers me.I ride on Lake Erie and request that anyone that goes in the water off my boat wears a life vest mainly due to the fact that once you're 2 feet below the surface you disappear.I get people telling me "I've been diving into Erie for years,you're crazy".I look at both these situations the same,it may never happen,but it only takes one time then what?The rest of my life I have to think about how my friend got mangled or drowned while having fun on the water.As far as the i/o owner claiming they have a large platform it doesn't matter due to the shape and the height of them.Most have a curve that starts at the rub rail and goes in towards the transom.They are also above the surface of the water,so if the driver slows or stops with a rider up without the rider knowing the rider can be pushed down towards the outdrive when they hit the platform.Most if not all wakeboat platforms are under the surface when surfing and the prop is 2 feet before the transom and has a rudder behind it,I/Os stick out from the transom 1-2 feet depending on how it's trimmed.