Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-23-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Another forum member wanted some pics of my Cargo bimini, so instead of threadjacking, I figured I'd create a new thread.

It's just a Monster Cargo Bimini.
http://www.monstertower.com/Cargo-Ra...-p/uni-bim.htm

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-23-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
I then modified it so that the black cover comes off quickly (I cut the rope on each side and added a knot on one side and loop on the other so I didn't have to unthread the rope from the fabric).

And then I added some bungees to the padded crossbars so I can still carry boards on the bimini frame without the cover being on.

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
What do they use to hold the boards down?
TMC has a few people who have had their bimini modded with pockets. Just looking for the easiest design before I take it to my interior guy.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-23-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
What do they use to hold the boards down?
TMC has a few people who have had their bimini modded with pockets. Just looking for the easiest design before I take it to my interior guy.
The monster uses bungees. they are on top of a reinforced section of the bimini cover and have eyelets where they thread through and are knotted underneath.

I found this pic that shows it pretty well:
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-23-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
I've really been debating between this or a tower biminis setup, what are you thoughts in general on quality? I know its made by great lakes and they make decent quality stuff but I have never seen one of these in person...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-23-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
I've really been debating between this or a tower biminis setup, what are you thoughts in general on quality? I know its made by great lakes and they make decent quality stuff but I have never seen one of these in person...
I think the overall quality is fine. I haven't really looked at a z5 up close and personal, but there's no way I could justify the price of the z5 over the monster. The monster's price is at least fair. I think that with my mods, the bimini is great. with the cover off and my supplementary bungees, I don't have to fold the bimini down to access the boards. With the cover on, I have to because the tower speakers...

Running it just the frame there are a couple times a head gets bumped on it, but not anything that's a problem.

I wouldn't do the pockets simply because you have to run the cover and kill your sunshine to carry boards.

So I'm pretty happy with my setup. I suppose getting a corsen piper rack pair would be just as nice though.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2015, 1:33 PM Reply   
Nice. I hate seeing boards in the sun, but that is the builder in me... they are like children....
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-23-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Nice. I hate seeing boards in the sun, but that is the builder in me... they are like children....
Yeah, Brock told me the same thing after I sent him that pic. after the pic was taken, I bought a board sock for the doomswell. my board stays in its board sock most the time. a few hours on the rack while I'm out on the water for an evening hopefully won't be the end of the world if I skip the sock occasionally though.

It's a TON better than a forked board rack, that's for sure.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
I totally agree. Forked racks suck for foam core boards. The arms are tooooooo short so way to much impact hits a few pressure points at the rails and the middle of the board. I know a few people that have ground their rack arms down, and placed pvc over them, then add noodles or heavy insulation foam... This works. Otherwise, flat racks are the best, or a board bag and lay it on a seat.

I usually recommend people dip their sock in the lake, this will keep their board nice a cool all day long.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-23-2015, 4:18 PM Reply   
Monster makes a decent/nice alternative to a Z5 rack. I've had 2 Z5's on boats and the Monster rack is not in the same class but you are correct in the price. It's about $1000 cheaper to get the Z5 if you order your new boat. I was lucky on my first Z5 when a dealer had one laying around that came on showroom boat but the person who bought it insisted on a standard bimini. It was a win for me because it was bought and shipped to me for $1500 from Florida to Texas instead of $3400 new.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-24-2015, 8:05 AM Reply   
Here's another pic of the boards on the bimini with no cover (and my added bungees).

Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-30-2015, 5:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I totally agree. Forked racks suck for foam core boards. The arms are tooooooo short so way to much impact hits a few pressure points at the rails and the middle of the board. I know a few people that have ground their rack arms down, and placed pvc over them, then add noodles or heavy insulation foam... This works. Otherwise, flat racks are the best, or a board bag and lay it on a seat.

I usually recommend people dip their sock in the lake, this will keep their board nice a cool all day long.
If Nick or anybody else has any photos of this modification to their wakeboard racks, could you please post some pictures. I know I saw a picture of this about a year ago, but cant seem to find it. I never use my racks and might as well modify them so I can use them.