Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-10-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
which do you guys use? how much and how do you space it? and where have you gotten it from?

I would think with a couple concrete smaller flat rubber made tubs would best for concrete then placed under side seating. And with lead using weight lifting 3 or 4 45lb plates under each side of my ballast bags. Im looking for some ideas/gameplan on these. I would think that finding lead plates from a salavage yard might be an option but have never looked into.

for the record I have a 2010 tige Z1 with the surf ballast. Typically I ride 2 flyhigh fat bricks (100-150 each) on my back seat, front bow 400-50% full, surf side 600-100% full and off side 600 between 0-25% full. I sometimes use an extra 750 bag filled usally 75-80% full on my surf side seats. Just looking to maximize my reg side surf wake a bit better with the addition of weight without losing more space with more bags on the floor.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-10-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
Be careful with the 45 pound plates if you go that route. They are iron and they rust easily. You can do some serious damage to your carpet.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-10-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
Lead isn't usually used in barbell type sets...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-10-2015, 2:13 PM Reply   
I would go lead. it's denser and you get more weight for the size. a concrete bag is only 60 pounds and takes a decent amount of space for the weight.

Plus, if my old boat ever went through customs with the concrete bags hidden in the bilge I bet they'd bring out the drug sniffing dogs...

Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       04-10-2015, 3:43 PM Reply   
Get custom bags!
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-11-2015, 10:43 AM Reply   
Dang I would never put concrete in my boat haha
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       04-11-2015, 5:49 PM Reply   
I know they're pricey, but I'd just bite the bullet and buy the Wakemakers upgrade bags that are built for the boat.

http://www.wakemakers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=z1

You could probably sell a couple of those extra bags to offset a lot of the cost, pick up a single WakeMakers 930# bag for the surf side rear/side locker, use a couple of your spare bags in the bow to get the nose down, add some more weight to the bags in your off side ballast to balance and slam the boat some more, and have a pretty damn good wave. I'm planning on upgrading the port side bag in my RZ4 to one of these too since I don't want to risk busting a sack of concrete in my boat or deal with hiding bags of lead shot all over the place.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       04-14-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
surfed the sanger 237 at the '12 polar bear. great wave. at the end of the evening on saturday, my friend knew the owner(scotty) and talked to him as he trailered the boat. once on the trailer, he then asked us to help unload 1500# of lead bags @ 50# each. talk about a pita after surfing for the day. swore at that point to never use lead and stick to bags.
lots like lead, but nothing like flipping a switch to drain water and not having to worry about repositioning lead sacks every time you switch sides and to even them out to get the boat on the trailer properly.