Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
I know lost pro ( lostpro.com) sells HID lights for the Malibu towers but wanted to see if anyone has ever used them on their towers? I use my tower lights all the time (live on a lake), b/c of my bimini design ( z-5 cargo) I can run with my lights on and not be blinded. I’m currently using the titan lights (spot light lens) as these tend to have the least amount of glare. I use them like driving lights though. I was thinking about converting the 55w halogen bulb to a 35/50 watt HID kit (H3 bulb). I may have to make a few modifications to the light housing to fit the larger gauge wires, but it seems like it should work. I want to get more lumens out of my lights but don’t want to sacrifice the power consumption associated with halogen lights.
Current Titan lights.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/Xe8i7
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-14-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
"I know lost pro ( lostpro.com) sells HID lights for the Malibu towers but wanted to see if anyone has ever used them on their towers? I use my tower lights all the time (live on a lake), b/c of my bimini design ( z-5 cargo) I can run with my lights on and not be blinded. I’m currently using the titan lights (spot light lens) as these tend to have the least amount of glare. I use them like driving lights though. I was thinking about converting the 55w halogen bulb to a 35/50 watt HID kit (H3 bulb). I may have to make a few modifications to the light housing to fit the larger gauge wires, but it seems like it should work. I want to get more lumens out of my lights but don’t want to sacrifice the power consumption associated with halogen lights.
Current Titan lights. "

Um, I'm pretty sure you 35/50 watt HIDs will not draw more current than your halogens so there will be no need for larger wires and you will be sacrificing some consumption while increasing your lumens but it sounds like that's something your not willing to do. I'm confused.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
"you will be sacrificing some consumption while increasing your lumens but it sounds like that's something your not willing to do"

^^^^I'm confused how does a 35/50 watt HID bulb consume more than a 55 watt halogen bulb? I was reffering to power consumption, ie. amp draw.

A 50 watt HID bulb is roughly 4-5 times as bright as a 55 watt halogen bulb ( what I currently have). My consumption drops by a measly 5 watts but I gain 4-5 times the brightness. I will have to drill out the curernt hole where the wires come out of the light housing. This will accomodate the larger guage wires from the high voltage cables coming from the HID ballast ( the slight modification I was referring too).
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-14-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
haha, um so you know it's against the law to drive on lake houston with your tower lights on, right??

curious what you are using these for???
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-15-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
No law enforcement on the lake after dark
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Adam I don't think you'll need to up the wire guage on this project. I've got some HID lights 30 watt that use something like 3 amps. They've got like 18 guage wire running them.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-15-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
^^^Thre is some misunderstanding, I'm referring to the wire that runs from the HID ballast to the HID bulb ( it's a large guage wire)...I will have to drill a larger hole in the light housing ( the casing that the light bulb is in).

My question never asked about increasing the wire guage to the lights.

I wanted to know if anyone has ever swapped out their 55watt haolgen ( h3 bulbs) with an HID conversion kit. ( on a boat tower)
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-20-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
this guy exclusively does HID conversions on all kinds of lights. GREAT Prices!!! I have bought a lot from him. www.kbrowncustoms.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-20-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
^^^^Tom, that's actually who I ended up using. Really nice guy, and very good prices. Even told me to try them out first and if I didn't like them for any reason or were not what I expected he'd fully refund the money.
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-20-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
How did you get a hold of that guy? email address? Looking into those HID reverse lights. sorry i jacked your thread adam.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-20-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, kinda weird his contact only has an address.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-21-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
He had an email address somewhere on there. It was hard to find.

Kyle Brown
kbrowncustoms@gmail.com
Old     (jjmtahoe)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-21-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Ok, The HID lights have an internal ballast so the wire connection is about 2 inches from ballast to bulb. The HID lights draw 30 watts of power per light with a 110 watt equivalent output.

I looked at the kbrown customs site. Good luck getting those through the tower or on. LPA's are primo when installed. Check the site.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-22-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
They may be difficult to mount on the illusion tower but most people have light bars that lights will mount too.

LPA is using either the trail tech lights or the same light rebranded. LPA charges a ridiculous amount per light. You can find the identical light for half of what LPA charges.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-22-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
I'll try and post pictures when I'm done. It will work.