Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    xtremebordgurl            09-22-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is my life. Period. I want to work in the industry doing ANYTHING, wether it be photography, working for a mag, graphic design, whatever, I don't care I just want to be surrounded by Wake 24/7. Do I need a degree to do this? I'm at school now, and I am hating every second of it. Everytime I sit down to do work I end up editing wake pics, or looking for opportunities in the inductry. Does anyone have any advice? I know, "school is important" but c'mon, now really, do I need it? Any and all info anyone could send my way would be greatly appreciated.
~Bess
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-23-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
anyone thoughts/opinions? ANYONE?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
You can't beat an education. First spell check or proof read your threads, job applications, etc. They are a reflection of you and what you know. As an employer I don't hire anybody that can't read or write with some proficiency. Stay in school. There are many Business Degrees and one of them will help get you into that killer job. Trust me it's harder if you don't. If you want to do Graphics study and get some degree (tech or BA) in that.
Old    upupnaway            09-23-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Take some video or pictures of a pro contest, and edit and compile them in an attractive manner and get them into the hands of the tour organizer or sponsor. Give them some freebies, and if they like your work enough, they may contact you for future work.
Write an article for alliance or WBM about your crew of boarders, or a tour stop in your neck of the woods from a local perspective. Submit it to the editors and see what happens.

In 2000, Tony Hawk was doing his Gigantic skate park tour. The park I frequented was on the tour, so I got out there the day of the stop and put together some video. I went home, edited it and put it together all nice and clean, and gave it to the park owner. The result was free gear, and free access to film and edit future contests.

You can do it.
Old    chrispy1            09-23-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
I am at school to be a Mechanical Engineer, so that maybe someday I could work for mastercraft, skiers choice, malibu ect..
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
I would say that your first priority should be to get that degree. A BS or a BA in anything is better than not having something at all these days. Enjoy wakeboarding, enjoy the lifestyle, but finish school and THEN pursue your dream. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work out, at least you still have a good shot of making it doing anything else with that degree in your back pocket.

Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
Without a good education you wont be able to afford an expensive boat, tow vehicle and equipment. If for no other reason stay in school, get a decent job and enjoy the time you have off like the rest of us working folks.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-23-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Get the education so you can get a good job that will allow you to live a lifestyle of "wakeboard as much as possible".
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-23-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
I can honestly say that there isn't a lot of money to be made in this industry. You would be amazed on how little riders make in regards to income. Only the top 5 or 10 riders make a decent living. Supporting companies in the wakeboarding industry, with the exception of a few, are normally small and trying to make it themselves on shoe string budgets. My first piece of advice would be to get involved and meet people in the industry. Volunteer at tournaments and local INT and Session competitions. World Sports and Marketing based out of Orlando puts together the MasterCraft Pro Tour and the Vans Triple Crown series. Whether you live in Orlando or not, volunteering and getting to know the right people would be a good place to start. As far as filming and shooting still photography, try contacting web sites like this one or magazines. Alliance and Wakeboarding magazine both have many free lance photographers and purchase their work all the time.

E-mail Melanie at:
wt_volunteercoordinator@hotmail.com">pwt_volunteercoordinator@hotmail.com

That would be a good place to start.

Steven

http://www.stevenhahn.com/
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-23-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
Oh, and stay in school. If you want to focus your education towards filming or photography they take classes in those areas.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-23-2003, 4:27 PM Reply   
Thanx a bunch everyone, it sounds like I just gotta suck it up and get the degree. my question now is what degree would serve me best in this industry? Business, marketing, graphic design, photography, etc.? What direction should I be heading in?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-23-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
I guess it should depend on what interests you the most?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 7:45 PM Reply   
I'm not sure about an industry specific degree, unless you are looking to get into engineering so you can do development for MC, CC, Malibu, etc. Obviously if you want to do photography, take some photography courses. But to be honest, most everyone who is hiring people these days doesn't look at what TYPE of degree you have, only that you have one to begin with.

Stick it out and get the degree - you'll be thanking yourself 5 years from now.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
Get your degree. It can only help. While in school, do alot of networking and meeting people. Remember, it's not who you know, it's who knows you.

But, IMO, unless you want to eat Ramen noodles through your 20's, get a job in a bigger industry. The wakeboard industry is small, although it may seem big to those not involved.

Go to competitions (Int, etc), compete, meet people, try and rep for a company or two. Good luck!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-24-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I have been going to college part time for the past 6 years trying to get a degree and I plan on finishing. I've got about two years to go. I thought about quiting and I'm glad I didn't. Look at the population at any college especially people that go at night like I do. They are usually over 35 years old wishing they would stuck with it and finished, but they quit and now going back to finish. The only thing I wish I could have done was get a degree in marketing or something. I going for a engineering degree and It takes twice as long. Marketing degree is a versatile degree. The main thing to remember is whatever you major does not really matter in most cases. Most employers just want to see that you are dedicated and can be trained.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-24-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
College should be a great time. Make the best of it. Get involved.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-24-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
you pretty much need a college degree to be a garbage truck driver now. don't miss it plus it is a time that you will be missing out on for sure.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-24-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Bess, an education gives you options. Since you can *only* make decisions based on available options, more options are always better than fewer options. The chance of finding good options increases and will lead to better decisions and choices for the rest of your life.

It took me a little time to learn this...about a year of medicre jobs after high school before I went to college.
Old    abk22            09-24-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
I can attest to the importance of getting a degree. There is so much you can do with one. If and when you graduate from college, you become apart of the top 25% of all educated Americans. If you look at the number of people who actually have degrees from college it is very small compared to the total population of this country. It sucks, but stick it out. I am in the same boat as you, I have 1.5 years left on my BA and then another 4 years for my JD/MBA, but when I am done, the world is my oyster, I can choose where and who I want to work for and will have the dinero to buy the boat and other toys. I have to push and rededicate myself nearly everyweek, but the end outcome is what motivates me. Your dream should motivate you enough to do whatever it takes to get it. Cheers!
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-24-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
Thanx a bunch everyone, I really appreciate it. I think I'll stay in school but I'm defenitly transfering outta here (Maine). I heard somewhere that there is a school in Orlando that advertises in WBM for their film editing program? Anyone know anything about this? Again thanx a bunch everyone.