Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    lachrimae            05-24-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
How are you shortening your ropes? I've got one expensive boarding rope that needs to be about 10ft shorter to hit the sweet spot in my wake. I'm wondering if a knot will screw up that part of the rope in the future if I choose to let the rope all the way out again in the future.

Any boy scouts in the house with a knot recommendation?

Mille Graz
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
bowline
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
ya just make a loop with a bowline knot
Old     (mrburns)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
no way....
a bowline is an outdated knot, not to mention that is actually reduces the ropes overall strength... i'd go with a figure 8 on a bite or 8 on a loop. Check with your local Firedept. if you need help with either...Those are both lifesafety knots, OR climbing knots...so either would work great.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Assuming you are using spectra, the climbing knots will work, but will be very difficult to remove from "small stuff." While I agree with Chris that those knots are great and work well, I would not use then on anything less than 3/8" for ease of removal.

The best way, however, it to have a rope with take-off loops so you can adjust the rope. That is not a option, evidently, becuase you posted.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-24-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Maybe you could just drive the boat a bit faster, pushing your sweet spot further back, and then you won't need to shorten the rope.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-24-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
yeah, more weight and drive faster. depends on your boat though, I guess.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-24-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
double knots works great
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-24-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
or a bow!
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-24-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
I second what chris b. said. a figure 8 on a loop is super easy, it distributes the load equally over a larger area of rope(bigger knot), won't damage the rope, and, can be undone if you loosen it by rolling it between your hands. There are some "tensionless" knots too. find a website with knots, or, consult your local fire dept. (I'm partial to those guys:-)
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
It depends on the rope. If it is the shinny kind of plasticy feeling type of wakeboard rope you are kind of out of luck. We have tied knots in that stuff and they are there forever. If it is like the accurate line you can tie a knot in it. Actually we did it last night. But make sure you take it out every once in a while. I tied a butterfly knot, which we didn't have any problem taking out but I would say a figure 8 is better we just didn't know how to tie it. I took my rope to the local seamstress and for $10 the cut it and made an extra section for me. It lasted all last year and still using this year.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old    turtle            05-25-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Figure_of_8.htm
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Just let my friends use it for a while. They'll put multiple knots in it so you can pick from the best location. I guarantee their knots will never come out...he, he
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-25-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
You can always cut it and make take off loops for yourself out of the existing rope. Its a lot easier to adjust for different rider's preferences in length.