Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Anyone out there removed the 08 Malibu windshield?

Doing a big stereo install on my Response LXI, and installing wetsounds speakers in the dash as the first step.

This windshield does not remove like the 07 and earlier, with the screws all along the front under the rubber.

On quick inspection today, i found no through bolts, and only 2 exposed screws on the top.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-14-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
I have an 08 VLX and have considered the dash speaker replacement as well. I would either get a specialty L shaped tool and slowly unscrew the original screws or I would drill out the screws from the bottom and install thru-bolts in the new speakers. No way I would pull the windshield just to replace speakers.
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-14-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
On a vlx, it may be do-able. On the Response, there is no way. I'd have to go super shallow mount speakers to get them in, IF i could get the old ones out. And drilling for mounting would be near impossible.

Any suggestions on windshield removal?
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Well, whoever said it was doable was right!

Ok, so after looking into it further, and pulling the stock speakers, i was able to wedge the wetsounds in without windshield removal!

It was a pain, but not worse than taking the windshield off.

The stock spkrs on my boat were held in with allen head screws, so that made removal and install easier. Something i learned the hard way; the front and rear fosgate speakers are different.

The screw holes line up on the rears, but not on the dash.

As metnioned before, you DO have to cut dash material to fit the wetsounds. Not much, but definitely some trimming. I trimmed from inside the dash with a small sanding drum on a dremel.

When it came time to drill holes, i used a 90˚ drill, with a cut down bit (cut the back, or you won't have a tip!) to drill the passenger side. Clipped the wetsounds template on the bottom of the modified hole, and drilled the holes out.

On the drivers side, there is significantly less room. Believe it or not, i used my cut down drill bit with NO drill. I spun it by hand, and with the thin plastic, it actually worked!

Took 2 people to get them in, and i left the shipping bumpers on the speakers until i had slid them down the windshield into place. One person pushing down on the dash, the other sliding the speaker in. I also released the vertical windshield braces in the walkthrough to give us a litte more flexibility in the windshield.

I also used some clips on the rear of the screws, to make sure they stay tight. These speakers didnt' come wiht them, but i had some panel clips supplied with some other sets of speakers laying around.

Overall, a pain, but doable.

For reference, these speakers were the XS650, not the shallower XS65's

Feel free to hit me up with any questions!
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   

`