Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
I've been in the market for a new board after breaking my last two Marius' in 3 months, and tried a marek the other day and quickly realized that it caught edges harder than the marius for some reason. I know there are board characteristics that make certain boards ride faster, pop stiffer, land softer, etc. But is there a board characteristic that makes a board catch edges harder? I'm guessing that it has to do something with the stiffness of the core that makes it "give" less therefore making it a more abrupt edge catch; maybe similar to how abrupt a board pops or how soft it lands.

All things aside, there is a significant difference in how much it hurts when I can an edge with the Marius vs. the Marek given the same trick, speed, and height.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Last edited by stoked_32; 10-01-2010 at 1:04 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
i've ridden 10 to 15 different brands and styles of boards. some were more comfortable than others.use what is most comfortable to you.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
oh I guess I should've made it clear that I'm not really looking for any advice on what board to get, just was interested what people's experience/opinion on the subject matter
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-01-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
sharper edge - harder edge catch. duller or rounder edge - less edge catch.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-01-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Once a board has caught an edge, I don't think the severity has much to do with the characteristics of the board, way more about speed and rider position. Some boards will catch edges less than others, particularly beginner oriented boards with beveled edges, but even those will slam you when you catch.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-01-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
i have a marius 140 i've had for 2 years seen many sets from 70' line to 95' line . i rarely catch an edge. thats why i say get whats comfortable to you. i love the marius along with many others .it sounds like you don't ,so i can't recommend it to you . i also have a liquid force watson hybrid i'm liking it more every time i ride it ,but it's no marius.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       10-01-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Word to Miggs:

Cupped rails, turned down rails etc and less rounded edges overall are more prone to cause you to catch an edge, its just physics.

But some of these same characteristics make the board "edge" harder, quicker and make it more responsive.

On the other side of that coin, the rounded mellow edges mean less edge catching but you also give up some of the other stuff you may want in a boards performance.

For me what I have found is, as the my riding progressed the more radical an edge on the board I could tolerate / ride without premature face planting caused by catching an edge.

In other words I think the better a rider you become the less a radical edge on the board comes into play because you learn to deal better with those characteristics in a board.

However I have seen many times on the forum here that many people have wide varying opinions about beginner boards versus advanced boards and some do not think it makes any difference at all but I am clearly not in that camp.

Ride On!
The Wakeboard Geezer
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
lol, don't get me wrong Robert. If I could ride a 2008-2010 Marius forever I would. Everytime I ride a different board I say the same thing, "great board, but it's no Marius"Just not really an option anymore since stocking up on them is getting too expensive. Hopefully the 2011 shape will be just as good if not better.

Name:  Marius1.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  51.5 KB

Isn't there a difference between how likely you are to catch an edge and how hard you fall once you've caught an edge? I would think that they are two different variables built into the board. I guess I say this because it's hard for me to believe that the marek has a significantly sharper edge than the marius

Last edited by stoked_32; 10-01-2010 at 2:07 PM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-01-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Migs is on the right track when it comes to edge profile. Basically the thickness of the rail affects the way the board interacts with the water. A thin rail is easier to sink and rides more "rail to rail", whereas a board with a thicker rail profile rides higher on the water. Many of the boards nowadays have a variable rail profile where the edge is thicker between the feet and gets thinner towards the tip/tail. This feature allows the tail to drop into the water and keep the nose up to ride up the wake. So since a good edge catch is generally catching the edge between your feet, theoretically a board with thin rails the length of the board is more susceptible to a good slam. I don't think the board really dictates how hard you slam, I mean it probably does a little but I'd say line tension and body position would be a greater impact.

I think the reason the Marek pitched you harder than the Marius is the way that boards rides on the water versus how the Marius rides, the width of the Marius probably keeps it from being as edgy as the Marek.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
I must say the Marek is more prone to catching edges than other boards. I caught more front/back edges in two weeks than I had in two years!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-01-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
Dennie -isnt that what I said?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
About a year ago i started a thread almost exactly like this one. Glad to see your getting more positive responses to your question(s) than i did... but then again, mine was more negativly worded (spoken while my astonishment and disbelief was still fresh) in the begining. i still feel a little bad about how i first came across and was deserving of some of the responses, but with that said i also still feel like I PERSONALLY really am not a fan of the Trip.

for me the Trip was named perfectly so... 'cause it trips me up. everything said so far makes a lot of sense, but for me for the situation of the trip at least, the ONLY thing that applies is that i was not comfortable. It still freaks me out that i feel so uncomfortable (not as much as before though) on such a historic high-selling board that fits all levels of riding, from Begginer up.

The biggest problem though was that i was riding my slingshot Without fins and got used to it. suddenly having ANY features on the bottom of my board was seeming to tripping me up. however, the obrien player and the old byerly ("can oppener") gave me reletively little fits. later i through on some gigantic 2.0" cleaver fins on the slingshot and had little problem too. Strange!

the only feature about the trip that i still think might be a factor (FOR ME) is the cupped fins. might be similar to the cupped rail features of other boards mentioned already

Comfort in general i think is definately the big factor when switching boards and having problems addapting. it doesn't happen with every board it seems.

OR... the utter fact is that I am just plain weird and am the exception. HAHA
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
on another note, I would LOVE to try the marek out. it has some of the most unique bottom features of any board out right now. plus it has been voted best board the last two times.

the belly spine...or spines is interesting. i didn't realize till like the 3rd time looking at a marek that the center spine is a spine on top of a spine. you have to catch the gleam of the light to see it. it is super subtle and can barely be seen and hardly felt
Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-01-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
Which ever board I am riding catches more edge than any thing other than Lon's x-80. I suck but love it
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-02-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Marek is a fantastic board but the edges are super sharp. I went from an Obrien Decade (which has a beveled/rolled middle section) that was almost impossible to catch an edge on to the Marek and just about got knocked out. You just have to be more aware. I prefer the Marek
Old    mojo            10-02-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
i wouldn't worry about the "edge catch factor." pick what board suits your style of riding the best. that board may have a step down rail or it may have a beveled into step down rail, or some other combo.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
I agreed with the marek I went from a Watson and hadn't caught an edge all last year and I did prolly 5 times in the first couple weeks on the marek, the rail is paper thin. Certain rails will cause you to catch edges easier because it takes less if an angle to submerge the edge.