Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-27-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
I stop in to California Marine Sports often. I like to see what they have new and see them. This week they let me demo the Walker 5-1 bazooka. I am 250 and it was fast and fun to ride. We had a great day.

I am the type of guy that is always looking for the best deal and in the past may not have always supported the local dealer. Lately I have realized how important it is to support your local dealer that supports the things you like to do. For what is worth if you have a dealer that brings in stuff you like, stands behind the product. That is worth a few extra bucks to keep them around. CMS is a good example of that but there are a lot of local dealers that are struggling to keep their heads above water. Make sure to support those that you will miss if they are gone.
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-27-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Amen!
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Good to hear a dealer is stepping up in the real Wakesurf board space. We have nothing around here that isn't LF, HL, or other wakeboard co brands.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Absolutely! It has been one of my main goals to support local shops, and especially CMS. I have watched so many shops go under, its depressing. Grant @ CMS knows wake9 is doing all it can to support them. I love going in there and seeing all those great boards, instead of the usually CWB and Hyperlite wakesurf boards a at normal shop. If you haven't seen it, check out this video, and you will see a birds eye view of their shop and the great selection. During the summer, they had even MORE boards in there.

If you have a great Wakesurf shop in YOUR area, maybe you should post it here, so others can check it out. Nothing wrong with buying online, but if you can't demo like Roger did, buying a board is tough to do. Local shops can make that happen.

Great thread Roger.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up, I have never heard of that place until now. I think that's the closest shop to me coming from San Francisco. I will definitely stop by and check them out! http://www.calmarinesports.com/

Do you know if the water right by the shop is brackish?
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       09-27-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
I also used to seek out the best deal. Within the last 2 years I've committed to keep buy local. Now whenever we run a wakeboard / wakesurf camp, skateboard or snowboard camp, the local shop kicks in and helps promote and give out product.

I support the Faction Board Shop in Alexandria, MN
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Thank You,This Needed to be said... And I would like to add - Support your local Shapers and board builders, It might cost a little more but will all come around with the personal attention you and your shaper can put into your riding style. Don't be scared to break the mass produced China Pop Out mold that are on sale this week. There are alot of really talented surfboard shapers out there that need the work, Your riding will see the results when you have a custom hand made product under your feet...
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
@Jeff The last board I bought from CMS was a Calibrated. Mitch hooked me up with Mike Armstrong from Calibrated and we went out and demoed his boards. I was so shocked that at 250 lbs. I could ride his 57 inch board. I had to get one. Made right there in Disco Bay. Mike has followed up with a few emails asking me how I liked it. Money well spent.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
@wahlers That is a good point Jeff, but that is harder to do that you think. It is so tough to get product within reasonable time frames. I would love to support that more, but have had a tough time.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ya Robert...I totally understand! I would get frustrated myself when having to wait for my boards to be shaped but for me, it was all worth it and all of my ocean boards I own are custom built. As a board builder, I keep a stock of boards in our local shop and for custom orders, I have a turn around time of 1-2 weeks. I know the custom market in wakesurfing is still new but I think if you tell your shaper/builder what your time frame is, 99% will try their best to have it done for you...I know I would try my best. Out of curiosity, how long did it take for your board to be completed? Please don't give up on custom builds!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Dude, you don't even want to me to go there, LOL. If you are doing 1-2 weeks, that is outstanding. If you have a demo that you want us to try, and we like it, we will help you get the word out. We love to help small companies get the word out. You can send me an email here:

http://wake9.com/community/sendmessa...mailmember&u=1

We just need to feel good about the shape and design, and we will help. Especially if you can do 1-2 weeks.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
Thanks Robert, I am interested in sending you some demos. I'll be intouch through the other email..
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-29-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
@Jeff, I remember who you are now you were at the Spring event. I still have your card on top of my dresser. Send some of your boards. I only got to demo one of your boards and would like to try a few others.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-29-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
@Roger, Yeah i was there, glad you still have my card. What board are you riding now? I'm deciding what boards to send down. Thanks for the message.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-29-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
I purchased a Calibrated this summer that I have really enjoyed. It is a skim style board that is 4'9". I am 250 and it has been a blast to ride. I am looking for a surf style board. That's what started this thread. I am looking for something that is fast but under five feet.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-29-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Roger, I Have a couple designs that will hold a bigger guy and still be really fast , I'll get with Robert to send some down there, I was just scared of getting lost in all the demos that will be there. You can always check out my facebook page that has a couple videos and pic of my boards. Facebook.com/soulcraftboarding. Thanks for writting back, I'd like you to demos some stuff so i'll get them down there. Thanks Again..
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-29-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
I will watch for them.