Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Winter projects are in full effect at the West home. It’s like everything is getting something done to it @ once. I guess my own advice is taking effect "If you want to get stuff done b4 the sun comes out you better start cracking" This is the latest project. I have my tower box all pulled apart because I’m switching out all the LED’s in the boat from single color LED’s to multi or rgb LED’s, that’s what brought me to this project. With the box all pulled apart and bare I got to thinking what I could do to change some things up and sort of update the speakers in my tower box. I’m very happy with the sound that the current speakers (Boston Acoustics NX97’s) are producing. I have “8” 6X9’s in my tower. 4 shoot straight back and 4 shoot straight down. All 8 are being powered by a PPI 4125 in 2 Ohms. So the tower is getting 1000 watts. It’s plenty loud and very clean. I had an Idea. What if I could make a Hybrid type of system? HLCD’s shooting back in the tower box that would provide the throw for distance and then keep the Boston Acoustics NX97’s shooting down and into the boat so my ears won’t bleed. The first problem I saw was I would have to remake the way the speakers mount in the box because the only HLCD’s I know of are "6 inch round and I need 6X9’s. Then the 2nd problem I thought about was how am I going to tune/control the HLCD’s right next to the NX97’s. Right now all the speakers in the boat are NX97’s so the freq.’s for the tower and the hull are all tuned threw 1 EQ. The EQ doesn’t have to try and find a happy medium between 2 different types of speakers they are all the same size and same brand. Then I thought of the WS420 could fix the duel equalization and zone problem. So the only problem was figuring out if the HLCD’s would fit in the tower box. I placed a call to Tim @ wetsounds and told him what I was thinking and I’m glad I did b4 I did any cutting because low and behold he said the were coming out with a 6X9 HLCD. Hummm sound's interesting. Here is a pick of the Wetsounds 6X9’s and here is a pick of my tower box.
The HLCD’s look pretty big back by the magnet I’m wondering if they are going to fit. Anybody have any Idea how the 2 different types of sound will blend? HLCD’s shooting back Vs conventional speakers shooting down.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old                02-03-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Grant look at what you have done.

1.) Now some one is going to cut and paste your tower box on his website and claim that he can and did build it. Similar to a certain gel coat repair service.

2.) I have a gut feeling that Kyrpt Marine Audio will be releasing a 6x9 HLCD in the next 180 days and it will look very similar to the Wetsounds.

Other than that, hat's off to Tim at Wetsounds for bringing innovation and options to the marine HLCD arena.

I can't wait to see the setup grant. Are you goin to stick with the PPI PCX amps. I made the change over to Arc Audio KS last season.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-03-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Grant. You are a mad man. If I lived in your state I would have you do all my installs! The idea of having two types of speakers, one for behind the boat, one for in the boat is brilliant. Nice work.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-03-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
I was just about to say that. Ken mentioned to me a while ago that they were going to come out with 6X9 HLCD's. I posted up here about it when talking about the 6.5" sell they were having. Being that Wetsounds hasn't even came out with theirs yet I don't see how you can accuse Krypt of copying.

Here is the post that I made back in January

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/754225.html

So using your logic Murphy Wetsounds copied Krypt.

(Message edited by bjeremi on February 03, 2010)

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-03-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I am sure thats not the case but it could be construed that way.

I'll leave it be at that though. As I LOVE these Grant threads and don't want to dirty this one up any.

I have said it before but someone should archive these things in there own section because they are so damn pimp.

Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       02-03-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Now Now, let's not turn G's thread into a Ken Bashing thread. Let's just sit back, watch the master work, and then salivate over the results.
Old                02-03-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
It was a joke, maybe in a poor taste.

Copying is just a fact of business, some agree with it and some don't.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-03-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Right Right.

Grant, those HLCD's do look pretty deep. Thats one of the first things I thought when I pulled my 8" Krypt out of the box. I actually have mine sitting out not mounted on the cans if you want me to get a depth measurement off of them. I am sure it will be different but it might give you a rough idea. Unless Wetsounds as already given you the measurements of the 6X9?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
I would be real interested in how the HLCD 6x9's sound, if there up to G's SQ requirements then I am super happy. All the HLCD stuff I have heard are too bright for my taste and are not relaxing to listen to in the boat.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-03-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Your gonna run into SQ issues. I dont' think your gonna be happy with it. It's gonna take alot of attentuation of the horn to blend well with your 6x9's. Even though they are facing back they will overpower most of the other speakers in the boat (just based on sensitivity discrepencies). your talkin about a 6-9db difference in sensitivity....2-4x more effecient.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-03-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
I can easily clear this up. Tim White sent me a 6x9 HLCD prototype back when we were installing tube radios with chicken wire antennas in Model Ts. Think this predates all claims.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-03-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
David is pretty close.

The story of the 6x9. We have had this since the start of Wet Sounds. Been sitting on them for 5 years now. Before most even knew what HLCD stands for. But there were too many other items of more importance ahead like amps and in boats and subs to keep adding more tower speakers to our line up. Also, I was not crazy about the housing shape. So the speaker got shelved. As we lay out a road map and have plans for years on where and what the line will be.

Then about 3 years ago we met with a major boat company about a special edition boat they were building. They loved our speakers but already had their minds made up about using the current 6x9 housing they had as they had it color matched to the boat accents and it had their logo etc. I told them we have had this 6x9 driver for some time now and I would be happy to provide them just the drivers. So we sent them a couple proto pairs and they loved them.

Unfortunently, the way it always goes. The boat started getting out of hand in terms of costs so things started getting nixed. The Wet Sounds HLCD 6x9's was one of them. So we never built them for that boat. So once again they sat on the shelf.

Then last year we got wind of the first pics of the G3 tower with the 6x9's mounted on the shelf. And seeing how difficult it was going to be to mount other speakers to that tower. We finally saw the opportunity and need for a raw driver speaker.

We have a shelf to mount our PRO 60&PRO 80 to the G3. And now will have the PRO 696-RS. For those that get a boat with the factory speakers but want to upgrade the drivers.

Plus there are tower boxes like grants etc..that can use them.

Hope that clears it up. They will be shipping soon. Still finishing the tooling on the grille. Probably 60 days or so

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
I'm no audio expert but would there be some concern about all of those drivers sharing the same sealed airspace, especially when they are mixed?
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-03-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Any specs on the speakers Tim?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-03-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Brian,

Working on getting the site updated pretty soon. But got so much going on!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-03-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
let me just say when you have 4 W-7's being pushed buy 4 1600 watt amp's "YOU CAN MAKE THINGS BLEND"
Get in your car. Turn the Highs all the way up and then turn the bass all the way down and then crank it. I don't care what kind of speaker you have it's going to sound UN balanced and hurt your ear's. I have seen people here call that sound "SHARP" another term for UN balanced. I think most of the tower speaker technology including HLCD's have passed up Sub box output and technology. For years people have concentrated on high output towers and HLCD speakers to be the so called loudest on the lake. How many people here have a tower full of Wetsound or some other loud HCLD and then only have a single 10 or 12 inch sub in the boat??????
Yea your tower is going to sound BRIGHT or SHARP. Try adding as much horsepower to the bass as you do the tower, Humm that’s a hard to do! Ya see you can't just buy and bolt up or in a Sub system like what's available for tower speakers.
I think HLCD's sometimes get a bad wrap because they are not part of a complete or balanced system.