Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    simba            06-29-2003, 6:49 AM Reply   
I went and got 5 hours of private lessons with a wakeboard instructor who was pro. I wanted to get down my backroll and tantrum, or atleast a lot closer.

Heres my problem, on the backroll, I can never get all the way around, I end up digging the nose of my board in the water. The instructor told me to try and roll away from the boat? Anyway, when I got home, I notice in all my attempts on video, my legs were not tucked at all, they were straight, could this be my problem? Seems like I would rotate slower with them out, and if this is the problem that kinda pisses me off the instructor didnt tell me to tuck them after my 35234534 attempt.

Tantrums I pretty much have the same problem, I cant rotate fast enough and end up on my stomach. It seems I have plenty of pop for the tricks, just too slow of a rotation for both.

Help me out guys, I paid 300.00 bucks for some instruction and nothing changed.
Old    slob180            06-29-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
It is hard to tell you what to do without seeing it. I can't do a backroll, but I can land my tantrum 99% of the time. Pop shouldn't be a problem as I have done a tantrum behind an outboard fishing boat. When done properly the wake should just kick you right over for the tantrum. The way to make this happen is to use a progressive edge and when you get a few feet from the wake square up to the wake (to do this look towards the shore) and come off your edge (shift your weight slighty to your toes). Then as you feel the wake start to pop you, throw your head back slightly. You should just flip all the way around.

Is there any way you can post the video on wakepics???

I hope this helps.

Chris
Old    simba            06-29-2003, 7:43 AM Reply   
no pics, how do i put on analog video? I do have it on video.

When you say square up to the wake, do you mean almost ride paralell to it?
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-29-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
Ron- You need to be carving your board away from the boat all the way through the top of the wake on a back roll. It sounds like you are not edging enough and you are leaving early. The driving force in a backroll is the 20+ mph of water passing beneath you againt the edge of your board. Edge your board through the top of the wake so that it flies up and around you. Your handle is the pivot point, so keep in tight at your hips. This trick is NOT about jumping and hucking a flip.
Old    wakeboardertexa            06-29-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
You can do a backroll without a wake at all (Airroll). So that isn’t a factor. It’s the rotation.
Keep a progressive edge toward the wake. Keep the handle close to your hip through the rotation. If you let it out you will slow/stop your rotation. As you get to the wake on edge with a tight loaded line, put your weight on your back foot. Look back and tilt your head back to find the water. Do not bend at the waist and stay laid out. You'll rotate fast enough if you keep it all together. The spin is kind of like you where standing on a stool and someone knocked your feet out from under you. You will rotate around the axis of the rope handle. So don’t change it mid trick.

Good luck

Jim
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2003, 6:51 AM Reply   
I would almost guarentee that your cut is wrong. Your legs have nothing to do with it. I stretch out my legs on tanys and rolls and I am 6'-3" and 300 lbs. Where do you live?
Old    simba            07-01-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
jax florida, I just bought a trampoline, can I do backrolls on it? I can do frontflips and backflips easy but a backroll doesnt feel right so I havnt tried it yet.