Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (georgeliddy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-01-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
I have some questions about Slingshot boards:

1.) Will non-Slingshot bindings work? From what I've read the answer appears to be Yes, but I want to be sure. I'm looking to buy the Liquid Force Vantage bindings because of their velcro feature (http://www.wakeside.com/product/wakeboard_gear/mens/wakeboard_bindings/liquid+force+vantage+limited+edition+wakeboard+bin dings+2008.do).

And even if the non-Slingshot bindings DO work, will they negate the benefits of the flex board since they won't be as tightly connected to it at heel and toe?

I'm just sick of using laces and really want to get the velcro boots.

I do not have a way to demo the board or bindings.

2.) I read that the Slingshot boards are harder to do butterslides on. Is that really true? That would be a dealbreaker for me.

3.) I am 5'11" and 150lbs. Any suggestions on the board length?

Thanks!
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
07 slingshot boards only fit slingshot bindings. 08 boards fit all bindings.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
ss boards are butterslide machines

the vantage boot will work if you get an 08
WILL NOT work if its an 07

size = I would go with 139 or 142
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
i think doing butterslides is easier than on traditional boards.

Using non slingshot bindings isn't a huge deal.
Old     (georgeliddy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-01-2008, 11:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-02-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
The Slingshot boards are all about buttering around when you ride. I have ridden alot of boards and none are as much fun to do lip/board slides, tail presses and slayshes on. I have the PB Floyds on my Recoil which only has the one outer lace which isn't too bad. Maybe Slingshot should offer a velcro style binding like the Vantage only in a closed toe boot since they are really big on that concept.
Old     (georgeliddy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-02-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
I will not be using the board on sliders; it will be only for wake tricks on the water.

I'm deciding between a Slingshot and the Liquid Force Lyman... wish I could actually demo them.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
I have to agree that i loved the vantages when i put them on at a boat show. but i like the 4 hole design and plate, and closed toe thing with liners too much ;)
Slingshot was really awesome and did all in their power to preserve as much flex for those wanting to use different bindings. the traditional inserts added on the '08 models are not like the inserts that come packed in a line on a ridged plate that are commonly used on other boards.

"ss boards are butterslide machines" YES indeed! super surface maneuver friendly!

I am 6 ft 161.5 lbs and ride 142 recoil, f.y.i.
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
George,

I had the opportunity to test a Slingshot Response 142 last weekend and I have to admit it is an incredibly fun board to ride. I usually ride a 143 Covin, which I love, but have to admit that it was almost more fun with the Response. As has been said before, it's a sliding machine, nothing comes close.

Regarding pop, I have to say that I was very surprised, because I read that the slingshots don't pop as well as traditional boards. That's definitely not the case. The Response might not have as much pop as my Covin, but it comes close and might actually be as good in that respect, if I was used to it. Got my board last year and was thinking about Covin or Recoil, decided against slingshot, because without the possibility to test it, I chickened out and went the "traditonal" road, also because I wasn't sure how many ss sponsered riders here were just doing a good promotion job and pushing their product. But after last weekend I almost regret it...

Oh, before I forget: landing with the response is dangerous as you might not even notice that you are not in the air anymore but actually ripping through the water again. ;-) no, seriously, landings are incredibly soft.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       06-03-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
BIG Fan of these boards...and I ride another board.

I have ridden them on - small wakes / chop water / sliders / cable etc.. and they hold up very well (Unless you come up short on an air-Air Raley on the cable they dont make it out so well...but then why would I be doing air tricks).

Anyhow - these board look like they should ride one way - and they completely surprise you when you take them out. Super soft landings - super smooth for slides (lip, dock, rail, backslides, etc..) - some serious air. I rode a response behind a x-7 with NO ballast or extra weighting and only 1 -person in the boat (driver) and I was (surprisingly) able to throw some 5's and basic inverts. So whom ever said these dont have pop either have never ridden one or needs to go to wakeboard camp and re-learn how to jump.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-03-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
George,
Stoked that you are looking into SS boards. Here is the deal: The flex in the boards is unlike anyother. You can press and buterslide all over the flats and the wake!

As for the boots, having a wider liquid force base plate on the boot would limit flexibility a little bit, but not too much. It would still make a great combo.

As for board size, go with the 142 either Recoil or Response. One of the best things about Slingshots are you get all the advantages of a big board (faster, more pop, softer landings etc.) without the swingweight because the board is so light!

Demo it out man!
Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
www.boarderbestbuy.com

The $299 recoil board & binding package is back on today (6/3/08).