Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-25-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
I don't seem to get really sharp images. How do you set your camera? Do you use autofocus or manual? Shutter speed? F stop?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (elduche)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-25-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Use the highest shutter speed possible for the sharpest images, although depending on what lens your using you may not want to drop the fstop too low, as your dpeth of field may not capture the whole person in focus (ie face or chest may be in focus, but arms in front or behind may be out of focus). I would say pretty much ideal is f8 f11 or so with a shutter speed of 1/1000. Obviously you may be able to get away with some +/- on either side, and this may not always be possible with the light you are working with. I'm sure others will have some tips as well.

WRT to focussing when shooting from the boat i will often autofocus once on the rider and then turn the autofocus off, or switch it to another button on the camera so it is not re-focussing everyime you press the shutter button. The rider is always the same distance from the boat, so no need to switch focus.

Just my opinion. Good luck, hope to see some samples posted here!
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-25-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Check out this article on the other site: http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?id=553
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
I would add to what Duncan said that ISO is your friend in low light, don't be afraid to raise the ISO to keep your shutter over a 1000th and your aperture between f5.6 and f11.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-25-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
My usual setting are 1/1000 - 1/2000 F4 iso 100. I may drop down to 1/800 or bump up my ISO and occasionaly go to a lower f stop but from 70-80ft away F4 tends to get the whole rider in focus and nothing else.

If you are having a hard time keeping a good focus on your rider then use a higher f stop.

Read the link Mike posted it has great advice on where to start. If I remember correctly he wrote it or Garret wrote it.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-26-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
garrett wrote it, but both mike and garrett are incredibly knowledgable especially when it comes to wake photography.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-26-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
I learned alot from that article the first five or six times I read that. It's nice to go back and read it again and actually know what it's all talking about!