Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2011, 10:19 PM Reply   
I have an old RF sub that I wanted to put in my boat(huh, huh, bayliner). I cut a hole under the driver side (kicker panel?) and it was filled full of sprayed in foam? since I had now cut out the hole I figured mine as well just finish it. so I got it cut out but it sounds like ****! anyone have any suggestions? trying to do it on a very limited budget? maybe have to go with a shallow mount. I had a box made for it and it sounded awesome in there but now............ just pist that i cut it out now and sounds like crap.......thanks for any help
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
The problem is that the RF woofer is the wrong type to work in the situation that you described. As you have discovered it should have remained in the properly sized enclosure.
You can cut out some of the foam in order to carve out a reasonable displacement in the bilge. This will require a true infinite baffle subwoofer like a JL Audio IB. The mounting surface must be extremely rigid, the cavity must be sealed off from the exterior and the sub must be tuned higher if you want to get decent performance from an infinite baffle sub. But you won't accomplish much with the RF sub unless you return it to the original enclosure.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
So with that said, do you have a recommendation for a sub that would work there?, if not I can just foam it back up and put a new piece of wood and seal it back up.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-14-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
You said you had a box made for the sub, can't you just put the sub back in the box, take out the rest of the foam, then place the whole enclosure behind the kick plate? I installed mine behind kick plate, but never cut the kick plate as I did not want the sub exposed. Maybe That is what you did, and I misunderstood
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
the box that i built for the sub is fairly big, a lot bigger than the hole or air space in the kicker panel(no way it would fit). If i was to put the sub back in the box that i made for it, it would just have to sit somewhere in the boat, it would just be a bulky nuisance.... I think maybe at this point i need to find a sub that would mach the airspace that is there now?. IDK
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-14-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
So with that said, do you have a recommendation for a sub that would work there?, if not I can just foam it back up and put a new piece of wood and seal it back up
Quote:
This will require a true infinite baffle subwoofer like a JL Audio IB
Looks like he answered you in his original post.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
I seen that Hate after i posted...... i did call up my boat dealer friend today and he informed me that the foam is there I guess for balance? and supposedly if the boat sinks it keeps it from sinking or something?? but yes, infinite baffle seems the best way to go but i think i will wait and possibly have it done professionaly
Old     (doc1)      Join Date: May 2011       06-21-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
Why not build a bow filler box out of marine grade plywood with the sub mounted in it, a couple cup holders and a cushion. Theres a guy on here with a Mastercraft 205V that did this I think.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-22-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
The odds that you have foam 20+ in behind the kick panel are slim.. and without proper airspace that Fosgate isnt going to pound. Instead of spending a lot of coin on a IB sub, i would just find an area in the boat where you could do like Tim said. Build an enclosure that will house the sub, have enough air space, cut some cup holders, and cover it.