Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-15-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Hey David,

Im diggin those racks dude! They look sharp. Quick question man. Where did you have you bimini done? I need one done on my SAN too and that is the best looking one i have seen.
Old    dhorton            06-15-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Kent ~ The bimini on my super air is just the stock version that correct craft sold with them originally (maybe made by taylor made). There are a couple vendors in town that make nice biminis. Ive seen a few at the boat show, but the only one I can remember off hand is Sugar House Canvas.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-15-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Well, back from a LONG, ****ty weekend! The weather freakin SUCKED at Starvation.... Wind picked up everyday at around 4pm all through the night. Had to pull the boat out everyday. Showed up with a full tank of gas and 3-5 gallon cans... and left with 7/8 tank and 3-5 gallon cans still filled up lol. Prob used the boat a total of 3 hrs in 4 days. the rest of the time it was down pouring or windy as hell. Anyone ever tried to set an anchor at Starvation.... OMG! talk about being a BITCH! Then we did get it set and the wind picked up an hour later and the anchor didn't hold for ****, Went out in my skibbies to save the boat from hitting the beach. And to end it all, we don't have ANY pictures of anything really lol.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-15-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Kent, Custom Covers in SLC also does bimini's. That's what I have on my boat and I really like it. But Sugar House Awning is also a good choice.

Jason, I was wondering how you were all doing out at Starvation with the weather we were getting. Sucks to hear but let's hope the weather had made a turn for the better now.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-15-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Jason ~~ You win some and you lose the rest. I have been to Starvation when it was Epic and when it was Hell, but it's about the same anywhere when the weather decides to take over. Hope for a better trip out next time!

Kent ~~ I have heard nothing but good things about Custom Covers. My pops just had a full storage top done and probably the sickest camping top designed by Custom. I will try and get a pic of it this weekend if we head to Powell. Thanks for meeting with my wife to get that Stoke, can't wait to hear what you all think about it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-16-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
THIS JUST IN: Our own Ryan Shima will be doing a Stokemeter.com web cast Thursday 6/17 @ 7pm (MY BIRTHDAY!) Lets all log on and show Shima the support he deserves. See you all there...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-16-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the shout out Josh! Hope you all can join in on the webcast.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-17-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Josh!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN!!

My boy Josh is celebrating his 9th tomarrow

Shima, that's awesome!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-17-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt... I will celebrate your boys tomorrow in Lake Powell (Insert Thumbs Up!)

Everybody click http://wake.stokemeter.com/ at 7pm tonight to give Shima some hell...
Old    dhorton            06-17-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Happy B-Day Josh
Shima ~ Expect some questions regarding your tendencies towards pyromania.
Matt ~ When we ridding again? I have a DVD with several GB of pics from the last trip to get to you, i keep forgetting to drop it in the mail.

Last edited by dhorton; 06-17-2010 at 2:57 PM. Reason: 'cause Josh is OLD!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-17-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Hahaha! Bring it on!
Old     (chbowlby)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-17-2010, 10:59 PM Reply   
Well guys I know its be crapy weather but its looking pretty nice for the next week or so, so anyone want to hit me up so I can hitch a ride and get a pull let me know. Chase 801 815 8450 I am a great third and Love to board hope to hear back from someone, i am dyeing to try out my new board Ronix one with One boots sooooo stoked.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-18-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Hey Chase, as soon as my ankle is good to go, I'll give you a call. I take my boat to Willard.
Old     (chbowlby)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-18-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Thats sounds good to me man just hit me up and looking forward to it.

Chase
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_harmon View Post
Hey David,

Im diggin those racks dude! They look sharp. Quick question man. Where did you have you bimini done? I need one done on my SAN too and that is the best looking one i have seen.
Like Ryan, I also have a bimini from Custom Covers http://www.sewlong.com/ftt.html

They have a few different ones, I have the tramp top....
Old     (speedy841)      Join Date: May 2010       06-19-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
Well went out tonight for a quick ride at Willard with my boys and friends. It was great crowds gone and a lot of nice butter to ride on.

Josh - Here are some pictures of my wake going 19.5 mph with ballast tanks full.

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-19-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
Nice pics Kelly!
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-20-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Well guys, my riding might be done for a little. I had my stance set a little wide on a board i was trying out. Landed hard in the flats on a HUGE tantrum to blind and i landed a little forward. I felt my knee come all the way out and then the burn set in. Its a little wiggly and is super tight but im going into the orthopedist tomorrow so wish me some luck.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-20-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Kent, hope it's not as bad as it seems. Here's too a quick recovery!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-20-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Kelly ~~ I would like to see that wake at 24, great pics!

Kent ~~ (insert thumbs down) Sorry that had to happen on the Stoke 137. I will still come down if you will still drive!

Well another GREAT weekend at Powell. The HB is just about ready so time playing will be great instead of all the crazy work. My boy finally got a chance to hit the rails, did a F'n great job if I say so. Best fathers day riding rails with my boy, check out a few pics of the little bad ass at www.downfortheride.com

www.wakeology.com
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Josh- Haha! For sure bro! Come on up, ill give ya a tow while you ride the pure waters of Cache Valley. But dont be sorry that it happened on the Stoke, it just shows how huge that thing goes! Caus it boots. Thanks for the demo bud.

Ryan- Thanks man! Its a bummer but its alright. Just a shame it had to happen after all this bull crap weather has passed.
Old    dhorton            06-21-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Kent ~ Fingers crossed for good news! Hope the knee checks OK and its a short recovery.
Old     (broncogeoff)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
Just a quick question for those of you in the West Jordan area. I am taking my boat to get registered in Utah in the next day or two. As such I will need new bow numbers. Can anyone recommend a place to get bow numbers cut? I am looking to get basic vinyl type stick on letters, in blue to match the boat. I will probably need them same day since we are planning a trip to Sand Hollow for next weekend. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old     (chbowlby)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
There is a place in Southe Towne Mall that cuts vinyl letters or what every you want in any color and they should be able to get them done that day or in a few mins. Good luck
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-21-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Geoff ~~ Hit up a buddie of mine for sticks, legit work at the best price in town. Just let him know I sent ya and what your looking to do. joe@diecutguy.com

Kent ~~ So what did the doc say...
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave.

Josh- Ill know for sure by tomorrow. I got my MRI done yesterday. He said its more than likely an MCL tear, with a possibility of an ACL. So hopefully not the later.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-22-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Ahh man that sucks bro! Speedy recovery my friend.

Finally some decent weather! I wish I wasn't heading back north tomarrow
Old    dhorton            06-24-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
Mr. Rogers ~ Where did you buy your replacement drysuit seals? I had a friend just tear one over the weekend, I know last time we rode you mentioned buying some and it sounded like they were reasonable priced.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-24-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
David ~~ Try the Oneil website, there is a contact number to the fix your **** department. Drysuit later and lets ride sucka!

A FB post confirms we have a Northern rider out, Kent posted up he has to go under the knife to fix the knee. Sucks to hear bro, keep your spirits up and don't slack on healing up...

Anybody want to hit Powell the weekend of June 10th or even the 4th?

Last edited by downfortheride; 06-24-2010 at 6:34 PM. Reason: RIMJOB! You know who you are...
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-24-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
Josh= Haha! Thanks bro.

Yeah its an ACL and Miniscus tear. Prob the worst possible scenario. But thanks for the love guys. Come up and snag a tow behing the Nautie anytime. Im still gonna be out on the lake drivin.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-25-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Kent. I did my right ACL and bilateral Meniscus reconstruction back in 04'. I can give you some rehab tips to help with the recovery process.

When's your surgery date?
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-25-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
ITs on the 1st of July. YEah anything to make this as least miserable as possible would be stellar
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-26-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
Kent,
The recovery process is long, made longer because of the meniscus damage. That will make you non-weight bearing for an additional 2-4 weeks. You'll need to be really patient because if you rush the recovery and don't give the graft time to heal properly, you'll end up rupturing the graft and the surgery will be for nothing.

In the beginning, when you start your PT, you'll basically just be trying to get your range of motion back to it's normal capacity. Doesn't feel like you're doing much but it's really important because if you don't have your full ROM, your strength won't come back to normal as well.

Between weeks 6-8, you'll feel like the knee is actually doing really well and it's strong again, BUT that's when the knee is at it's weakest because depending on the type of graft your doctor uses for repair, this is the phase where the tendon cells are re-growing as ligament cells. If your doctor chooses to use a cadaver graft, the recovery time is shorter, but don't be fooled into rushing the recovery process.

Once you get to a point where you're allowed back on the water, try wakesurfing first. My PT actually thought it was a great form of therapy because of the balance required through it's movements & low risk of injury because of the slow speeds. You'll progress to riding your board again but you shouldn't be jumping the wake until you're able to do high impact exercises in your PT routine. It was about 9 months before my knee could handle the impact on landing.

Choose a knee brace that's designed not to twist your knee on impact, as well as provide support to the injured knee. Most braces just focus on the support it provides, but there are braces that are designed for high impact sports like wakeboarding. I used a DonJoy, non custom brace that my team trainer designed for Freestyle skiers. I'll get the name of the model so you can look it up and see if you'd be interested in it as well.

You'll probably ride with the brace for the first full year after you start riding again. It was about 2.5 years before I got rid of my brace, and that first set without it took some getting use to. More of a mental thing.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know but this is a good start. Again, best of luck in your recovery!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-26-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Confirmed Powell July 9th - 11th then a week later our big trip for a week in Powell of Party and sunshine, ABOUT TIME!

Pssssss Dawn Patrol in the morning!!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-28-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Man what a great morning on the water, David was bootin better then ever... but he back wasn't feeling the same. I took one of the biggest toe diggers when trying a lip slide/ back, butt slide on the wake. I stood up way to fast with a ton of water in my face and next thing you know is toes are in the water and the body is bent in half getting ready for a pounding. I rode the Sick Transit 140 probably the best ever and really got some booted Tantrums, no HS BS 180's though. You need to see the pics cause the kids got the best water of all... http://dftrdownfortheride.ning.com/p...35:Album:11760

David ~~ Thanks for getting my family on the water once again. SPF 50 and we're all good to go!
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-28-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
David I just got online and looked up drysuit replacement seals and a buch of places popped up. I will try to find it again. I got the glue from marine products.
Old    dhorton            06-30-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave. I got online and found a bunch of places selling the seals for a reasonable price. My friend decided to just sent his suit back to O'Neill and let them fix it. I may however buy some replacement wrist and ankle seals and keep them around so when mine eventually go bad I can get back on the water soon (his is going to be nearly a month turn around time).
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-02-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anybody trying to ride this weekend? David and I are going to hit a Dawn Patrol set, we just might know where the flat water is going to be!!!
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
I would be down but... that's a LONG ass drive to where your going lol
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-02-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
No worries Jason, if everything works out we will send some pics!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-06-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Lake Powell this weekend... ANYBODY!
Name:  weather.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  54.7 KB
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-07-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Summer session in UT! Here is our David with his Scooby blanket to keep warm on dawn patrol.
Name:  David and Scooby.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  49.0 KB
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-07-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
You look good in pink Dave! LOL

Hope we can ride together soon, it's been too long.

Josh, have a great time in Powell!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-07-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
At least David's hat is pretty legit!

Shima ~~ You know it!
Old    dhorton            07-07-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
LMAO...That's dead sexy! Thank God Caeley brought that Scooby Doo blanket that's the only thing that kept my ears warm that morning.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-11-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Hot weather seems to be here to stay. I'm hoping to get out and ride soon. Installing my new Star Gazer GPS PP upgrade this week when it arrives. Can't wait.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-13-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Well guys another great trip to Powell, we had a few storms but nothing we couldn't handle. I can't wait to get back on Saturday and get that HB wet and wild. We are planning about a 2 hr boat drive to an epic camp that I found over the weekend. The forecast is extreme heat and straight up party!

See ya there Bleyl's!!!

Anybody that might be heading down we are going to plan a half day WED at Antelope Point picking up some late comers to the party. I will be the one getting my ass kicked on the rails if they fix the winch by then. O LAKE POWELL...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-14-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
Star Gazer GPS perfect pass installed, replaced old wakeboard pro system. Let's ride!!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-15-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Shima ~~ Right on, let us know what you think of the new toy!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2010, 10:57 PM Reply   
Just got back from Bear Lake!! Beautiful weather it was, and with some decent water conditions for the most part.

Words of advice,,dont try to launch your boat with them tractor yahoos at Hot Springs North/East side. Epic fail, not a good scenario, lucky I didnt do any damage and I told them to just take me back to the beach. We ended up using the north marina and it was good. Ill post pics up soon.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-16-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Matt ~~ What a great place to hang out and ride! Can't wait to see the pics.

Well it's official the HB is in the water and ready to go. Were heading out early tomorrow to Ely, NV for a family reunion and then on to Powell. We forecast about 12 hrs of driving total, we should be hitting Powell about 10pm to join the party... But hell we all know Powell is worth it!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-16-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Welcome back Matt!

Safe travels Josh! You sure are spending a lot of driving time to Powell this year. Take some pics of the remodeled HB.

Didn't get to make an accurate evaluation of the Star Gazer since it was really rolly but from what I was able to do, it seems like a great investment!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Josh, STAY AWAY FROM THE "BIG 4"!! Some of them gals would scare the hair off the back of a monkey! I did some work in Ely a few years ago. I actually worked on the hospital addition.
Old    dhorton            07-19-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Hey Matt and Ryan, lets ride this week. I'm in town all week with flexibility in my schedule, let me know if either or both of you guys want to meet up and ride.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-19-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Hey Dave, bad news but I injured my ankle yesterday and I don't know how long it's going to take to heal. I would definitely be up for hanging out on the boat, but riding will be out for a little while. At least it isn't broken or any tendon damage, but I have to stay off of it for a little while.

Keep me posted. I won't be able to go on Wed though, I have a team outing that day.
Old    dhorton            07-19-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Ryan, Thursday and Friday will work best for me. Matt or anyone else let me know if you want to join. I haven't ridden in nearly a month, I feel the summer already slipping away.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-19-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
Dave, I'll let you know ASAP. FYI, I have to work on Friday until about 12-1pm.
Old    dhorton            07-20-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Ryan, Thursday looks best for me as Friday is a UT holiday, and will most likely be a zoo. How did the new PP GPS work?

Last edited by dhorton; 07-20-2010 at 9:02 AM.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-20-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
Dave, you're going to have to count me out, my ankle is fubarred at the moment.
Old    dhorton            07-21-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
no sweat Ryan, my week has turned out busier than expected.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-21-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
So what's the plan for this weekend? I got my friday all free'd up as well.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-22-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Ok Dave, I'll let you know when I'm able to get out again. I jacked it up on Sunday, thought I broke it but it must be just a really bad sprain. It's slowly improving each day but I still need to stay off of it as much as possible.

Jason, I'm judging the Monster Energy Drink Wake Up event at Pineview on Saturday. Shane Bonifay is suppose to be doing a demo at some point that day. If you've got time, you should come by and check it out. Info can be found at www.wakeutah.com (events section).

Yesterday, I took my speedskating team out to EC for a fun day on the water. Of course, windy and choppy, followed by more wind, lightening and rain. To top it off, one of my skaters gets my rope and handle caught in the prop and shredded it. UGHHH!
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
Ryan - That's a rough day on the water man! How the hell do you keep messing up the ankle. I think your just using that as an excuse of getting old Just playing! There's an Event being held at Pineview? That's like the worst lake ever to hold an event. They gonna have an area blocked off from other boats or something or how do they usually do it? Go throw it down in the damn area .

Well I think I'm gonna hit up East Canyon in the morning tomorrow if anyone wants to go.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-22-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Jason, my ankle finally was feeling good and was pumped to get back on water and then this happens. Sucks!!!!

As for the event, water conditions are tough but the event itself is great. Monster does a lot to make this event go off! Come check it out if you can. Have a great time on the water tomorrow.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-23-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Dave, Im back up here in the Arctic for another two weeks. When I get back lets plan on going out! Ryan, that means you too bro! Ive been getting some sweet video with that new gopro camera I picked up, I just have to figure out how to put some music to it. That and my high dollar PC Laptop took a shiat, (If somebody knows Dan the Laptop Man Tell him Im pissed!)
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-26-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
"Locals Only" at Pelican Bay in saratoga...
1. If your not from Saratoga don't come here. "I know tailors boats took you here when you were test driving your Malibu. That's where it stops. Go to Orem or Provo." They cater to your retard ways of backing and inability to drive your boat at the dock when you putting it back on your traitor.
2.If it doesn't start don't bring it to the lake. "Sitting in the water at the ramp taking up space wont make it start." Put the piece of crap back on the traitor and leave. Ohh yeah take all 14 of your family members under 10 with you.
3. I know you paid $3000 for the stereo and the speakers but what makes you think I want to listen to the sound track of "The Hangover" over and over again. "I don't care who your 3 best friends that any one could have are".
4. Why is it that when you pull you boat out of the water, you think you can stop at the top of the ramp blocking every one so you can unload all of 14 kids, the biggest tube made, and wipe down. "See rant 2, and 3" Move out of the way wipe down and unload some where else.
5. The dock is not the place to teach your wife and or 16 year old how to back a traitor. Do it some where else. See rant 1.
Sorry for the rant I know I'm going to get slammed for it but it has to be said. These people can still enjoy the lake they just got to do it from Orem or Provo.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-26-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Lol kinda funny... Ya Know.. I agree with most of the stuff you said. People really need to be considerate on the ramps. But ya Locals ONLY bull***** LMFAO! You don't own any lake, therefore, you have no right to say who can and who can't go anywhere on a UTAH STATE PARK! End of discussion. If YOU don't like it, YOU need to find somehwere else to go. Or maybe setup a cool little seminar to teach people boating ethics that go to Pelican Bay.

BTW, I won't ever touch Utah lake EVER so lol. I could careless about this post just thought it was funny

Ryan: How did the Wake Up event turn out?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-26-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
Holy **** I'm back!

David ~~ Let's ride sucka!

Shima ~~ DAMIT! Heal fast and take it easy!

Mike ~~ LOL, you should have seen Powell. I had to wait like 20 min for our boat to come in and the things I seen. The worst was a dude got a ticket for not having a proper Mussel paper even though his boat was already in the water for over a week. IDK the story but the rent a ranger needed to be punched. Nobody said thanks while I was way out of the way and gave them plenty of room to load their stuff on the dock and then find out their boat wouldn't start. Even better was I pulling in a slip next to the bar... I come in myself and do it like I had a 4 man crew, boat next to me comes in with at least 10 people and all hell broke loose, LMFAO. If you can't do a boat yourself, it's time to buy golf clubs!!!

Holy F Powell is stupid nice having a HB, WTF is up with riding and coming back to AC and 80 deg. I can't say enough about this trip and finally know why having a HB is SO much nicer! The trip was a total success except we didn't move the HB back for the last 2 days and got stuck, and my oldest pup got nailed by a rattle snake... Ya I was driving the lake at 1am sober, screw that! Should have some pics to share once I clean them up a little.

PS powellpalozza is going down in Sept and were looking to get some people together to make it worth launching the HB and staying in a slip for 4 days. Let me know if your interested and I will find out more about it at www.ijustgotbackfrompowell.com It's something like Sept 22 - 26th. Were talking to the boss and their trying to get us a slip as close to the bar so we don't have to walk so far. (Insert Hell Ya!)
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-26-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
Jason, FYI Pelican Bay Marina is NOT a state park. It's owned by Saratoga Springs. Use the lake all you want but if your from the valley go to Provo or Orem. For some reason the first part of this post didn't make it. Let me clarify.

To the Jag Off who flattened 2 dozen trailer tires last week and weekend at Pelican Bay Marina,

I hope you or someone who knows you is reading this. Although I agree with your frustration about the tards at the dock. Destroying peoples hard earned property was, or never will be the answer. If I catch you, I will personally see to it you are booked into the Utah County Jail. Even if I have to do it myself.

If anyone here knows who is responsible I would be happy to compensate them for the information.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-26-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
That's pretty ****ty that someone was doing that.... They just pull the stems out or did they slash the tires? I've NEVER agreed at any cost, destroying someone elses property no matter HOW bad you hate someone. It's messed up! Sorry to hear that tho man!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-26-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
Mike, Dave told me about the incident. Just remember that "you can't fix stupid"! LOL

Josh, welcome back! Sorry to hear about your pup, that sucks!!!!

Jason, the event was awesome despite the bad riding conditions. MP and Monster did a great job putting on a awesome event!
Old    dhorton            07-27-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Matt ~ let me know when you get back, lets ride!

Josh ~ you know I'm ready to ride sucka! Lets see some pics of Powell! HB is the way to do Powell, I've never camped, I was exposed to the HB the first trip down

Last edited by dhorton; 07-27-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: LETS SEE SOME PICS JOSH!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-28-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Tyler ~~ Be afraid... Be very afraid

A few pics got posted up of the trip so far at http://dftrdownfortheride.ning.com/ There's plenty more to go through when I find some time!

www.wakeology.com
Old     (TK3)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey guys! New to the forum but have been following the Utah portion for a while just for fun to cure boredom at work. So how are all u Utah guys doin??? Im in Idaho Falls about 3 hours away so and i visit my bro in Saratoga quite a bit......I know this prob isnt the "proper" place for this but u guys seem cool and seem like u know what ur talking about. Im looking for a new board and want some advice. Im on an 05 Obrien Oasis 142 with crappy Base bindings right now and i like the pop but its a little outdated, big, and heavy. Im 18, 185 lbs and 6'. Im a good jumper, almost have the 18-0 and 360 down (wake to wake) and just tried my first backroll! You guys have any opinions?? I want to test some out but nowhere up here does demos. Oh and ive ridden the 08 LF lyman 136 and like it but i just barely rode a buddies 09 ronix ibex 134 with Relik boots and loved it...but it might be a lil small???
Old     (TK3)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
i forgot to throw in the part where my price range is around $200 or under (board only) anybody know much about wakeology boards??
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-29-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hey Tyler, welcome to the thread!

It seems that you like boards with 3 stage rockers. Since you're already on a Obrien board, I would suggest the Obrien Coda 141 (abrupt 3 stage), Obrien Decade 139 or Natural 139 (both 3 stage). All of these boards ride tremendously smooth, edge very well and have excellent pop with soft landings. Not to mention that should something go wrong with the boards, their customer service is second to none! If you check out some of the daily deal sites like www.thedailysteal.com, they have Obrien boards for great deals. Even if it's not on their hot deal, you can buy products for a good price. The Decade will be hard to find for under 200 since it's a new design (in only it's second year) but there's a very good chance of finding the Coda and Natural for around that price range.

As for bindings, Obrien has really stepped up over the past 2 years. I'm riding the Vice CT boots this year and the construction is top notch with a great, comfortable fit. The Vice boots are stiffer then the decade boots so it's just a matter of what you prefer. If CT's aren't what you're looking for, they have a wide selection of OT bindings to choice from that will suit your needs.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Also,
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-29-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Tyler ~~ Listen to Shima he knows his Obrien stuff. As far as Wakeology the boards are right up your alley if your looking for a 3 stage board. The Stoke is a great board but might be a little small being a 137 but the Sick Transit is a 140 3 stage. The board is SUPER light with excellent pop and a tight edge hold through the wake. There is a shop in North Ogden that demo's the boards or if your in SLC I can get a demo on the board if you like. The boards are right in your price range for a 2010 board.
Old     (TK3)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
thanks guys....im coming to saratoga a week from monday and if we are able to get a boat and get out on lake ill have to try and get a demo..i think im going to pick up a pair of ronix relik boots off ebay...im hoping i can get them for around 130 unless u guys have any other CT options for about the same???. so now its just down to the board...heres a couple ive been looking at

09 LF witness 136...Hybrid 3 stage. great reviews. U think its too small??
09 LF PS3....3 stage. also great reviews.

Im also checking out prices for the Obrien stuff...im really like the decade if i could get it for cheap
Also still considering the wakeology stuff...hopefully i can get a demo while im there

Thoughts??
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-29-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
Tyler,
I think a 136 will be a little small for you, based on how you described yourself. Personally, I'm not a fan of LF but that's based on some business dealings with their company YEARS ago. They do make good boards with effective designs, but if I had to make a pick, I would choose the witness over the ps3.

In all honesty, it comes down to personal preference. We can give you all the reviews in the world but it's going to be based on how it fits your style of riding.

I have a decade you could demo, just let me know.

As for WO, Josh is your best resource since he's riding their gear.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-31-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
Got word from a buddy he witnessed two Jet skiers crash up at Deer Creek. He pulled the unconcious guy out onto his boat and headed back to the marina. They couldnt revive him there. Sad deal. Careful out there! Cuddos to Brent for responding and helping out.