Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Finally got my first ride of the year in this past weekend. Rode my new to me 07 Marius. Rode all last year on an 05 Trip without center fins. Left the Center fins in on the Marius to give it a try. The Marius seemed to ride so different then my trip. I was expecting them to be somewhat similar. I'm wondering if it was the center fin that caused the difference, or are these boards really that different? The Marius seemed to have so much drag, if that's the right word to use? When cutting out, as soon as I'd let up on the edge a little, it seemed like I was immediately getting pulled back into the wake. With the Trip, I could cut out, pause, and then make a gradual cut to the wake. I'm hoping it's just the center fin being in causing this? Didn't get a chance to take it out and try another set as it looked like a storm blowing in and had to get off the water. Wish we had a place around here that demos boards. I purchased the 07 Platty based on reviews from this site.
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about the Marius. I did have an '06 Trip with the center fin in, and I couldn't hang out in the flat for too long. It would track back into the wake pretty fast and steady. My new board is a Shane 140 that doesn't have any center fins and I feel like I have a lot more freedom, and it is a lot easier to spin and kick.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I thought the Trip wasn't made in 06 and made a come back in 07?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Very different boards with hugely different surface area and rocker. Ride the Marius a few more times before you really make a final decision. I'll bet you start to like it.

BTW, the '08 Marius is a lot faster than the '07 and more comperable to a board like the Trip (which is a rocket ride).
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Anyone here riding the 07 Marius without the center fin? I don't seem to like that locked in feeling of riding with this board and hope removing the center fin will help.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yup.. Take it out. I like that board a lot better without the fin. It's really loose, but if you can't ride a board finless you need to check your edging technique.

Of the guys that I ride with that ride the Marius I'd say it's 50/50 with and without the fin.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-27-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Take the center fin out, the Marius is way to locked in with the center fin in IMO.
The 07 Marius is also known to be on the slower side, so it will not be a fast board no matter what you do.
It will take some time to get used to for sure, but once you get it dialed its a great board with big pop and soft landings.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I have an older Trip as well but now ride the 06 Marius... I liked the trip but the landings were brutal! I rode both the Trip and the Marius with and without fins. I liked the trip without the center fin but am struggling to get the same pop without the center fin on the Marius. I bought the Marius after watching guys like BG and Matt Norton kill it on this board. I am sad to say that the board did not turn me into the same caliber rider overnight. LOL
I would like to move to the smaller CWB fin from the Absolute however I have had a really hard time tracking a set down. Can any CWB guys point me in the right direction on getting a set of Absolute fins? The local board shops are always out of stock!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Yo Attila... I'm pretty sure CM or Norton will be out at the INT stop at Bell Aqua this weekend. I bet they have a set of fins in with their demo stuff that they'd part with.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Good to hear Evan... I am almost ready to trade this thing in for a Hyperlite Tribute
...hoping the smaller fins will help me change my mind about corssing over! LOL
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have been anti marius for years but friday I rode the 08 and I can tell you that I ordered one friday night. You might want to give the 08 a try
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have been anti marius for years but friday I rode the 08 and I can tell you that I ordered one friday night. You might want to give the 08 a try
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Sticker shock!!! I would love to pick up an 08 but they are pricey...

I will have to demo one to see if I can justify the upgrade. Thanks for the valued input.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2008, 1:13 AM Reply   
Attila I'll let you try my 08 platty with little fins in trade for a pull! And gas and cleanup of course. It even has Answer boots on it.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Sure hillbilly, PM me your schedule.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2008, 10:43 PM Reply   
Really bad all week, But anytime on weekends!I have this nasty habit of being sickly though! I will try and introduce myself @ Bell Aqua this weekend.