Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
This weekend I was driving around looking for some replacement in boat speakers at some of the local shops in the area and figured I would swing Best Buy to see if they had anything worth while to demo. The demo started off poorly as the first salesperson couldn't figure out how to work the sound board and didn't have a clue which HU was controlling the speakers. He spent about 10min adjusting about 20 different HU's before he went to get "help".

Finally help arrived and the "more experienced" BB salesman came over to help and proceded to give me a very poorly executed and incorrect rundown of how speakers work. He asked a reasonable question of how the speakers would be wired and I responded parellel for the two 4 ohm speakers. He then told me that it's not possible to wire speakers that way because it would "change the speaker" to a 2ohm speaker and blow them immediately. I corrected him politely telling him the correct way to wire an amplifier using parallel wiring with 4ohm speakers to draw a 2ohm load but then he started to argue with me not giving in to the idea of being wrong and continued to push the subject. Finally I just said ok whatever and let him dig himself a hole! The moral of the story is do you own research and know your stuff before you run into some idiot that try's to tell you different and sell you on the wrong stuff.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
Here I thought the moral of the story was gonna be don't go to Bestbuy to find speakers. Kinda what I got out of it anyways .
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Me too but I already knew that.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
I think most of us do, but unfortunately in order to "demo" stuff you usually have to listen to the salesperson rant. I never buy from a place like that only listen.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-14-2011, 5:02 AM Reply   
HAHAHA That great. That's almost like going into Home Depot and getting advice on how to build a house HAHAHA These companies really need to do there research. I have been in the construction business for over 22 years now. I worked, briefly, at Lowe's (briefly). All but one person had experience there. The other was a retired plumber. I find it entertaining to hear an explanation on something a person has now idea what they are talking about.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
3/4 of the car audio they sell is junk. Why not go over the that Rhodes rides dude you were talking about for a demo? Or you'd have a 99% better chance to find someone who knew what they were talking about at Cartoys, or you could pick one of the other 25 or so shops around the area. I stay away from Best Buy.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Nu Bu your right, I did go to 3 other places like Car Toys but every place has different options so I swung by BB too. I have no experience good or bad with Rhodes besides hearing the name, I gave them a call so I could go by and its just an install shop not a showroom with any demo capability. I ended up hearing some infinity's at CT that sounded pretty awesome tho!

Shops are good for demo, most but not all are pretty poor for knowledge.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Man I know what you mean, not many peeps in shops around here know what they are talking about. They get pretty defensive and give you the 100 mile stare when asked an intelligent question about the stuff they are supposed to "know" about.

As far as the big stores go I think car toys is the best around here.