Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-24-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys, new to wakeboarding here. Just started this season and got out maybe 8 or 10 times. I can go wake2wake but never really tried any other tricks.

I have a cwb sol board and don't like it. It's heavy and doesn't have much pop. I'm getting a new board for next year and want to know if a high-end board is something that I could still ride at my lvl and grow into. I don't want to buy a different board every year or two. Would something like LF Watson or Ronix One be too much board for me?
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-24-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have a LF trip and love it! It's a board u can advance on for sure. Go to the board reviews section on this site and do alot of research.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-24-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Just my opinion, but I say go for it. I have only been riding a couple years and I have an Ibex, which is a pretty aggressive board. I dont have any problems with it. The advanced boards have a lot of features that are still helpful for beginners, they just might ride a little more aggressively, but that is something you will get used to as you ride the board more and more. I think its worth the money to buy a good board that you know will last you for years. And I also agree with Steve, check out the reviews, they will give you a lot of information on how the board rides.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-24-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
This year's high end board may be next year's beginner's board.

That said, at this stage in your progression, pop is more your technique than the board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-24-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
what's been said is pretty spot on

This is quite cliche, but very truthfully recommended, "DEMO as much and where possible"

everyone has a different preferences. what works for one, or even many, might not work for another, but i totally understand if demoing is difficult, i know it is for me. this is where reviews can help a ton. t&c wake has a demo program that works online/through the mail. that might be an option for demoing http://www.tcwake.com/

just out of curiosity, what is your size (weight and height) and what is the size (length) of board you have??? also, you might try removing the center bolt-on fin if you have not yet. it might be tracking more than you'd like which might be contributing to the "heavier feel"

as for technique, watch these videos (both from learnwake)
http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2258
also check the last video on the bottom left of this home page on setting-up for a jump. the way you cut out and prepare for a jump is often overlooked and underestimated http://www.humanoidwake.com/
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-24-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
oops, i guess the sol comes in the one size, 141. but hit us up with your size anyway. maybe the board is too big... and maybe it is fine
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
I you have any...ANY talent at all...get off the Sol. I have been riding about a year. Started on a Hyperlite State. After riding it about 10 times...a coach had me try a LF Witness 140...which I love and have been on ever since.

One time a I left my board at home...and borrowed somones old Sol. Nightmare. It was like trying to ride a lunch tray. It will pop OK...but that thing won't edge at all. The only good thing I could say about it is that it surface spins like crazy if you want to practice handle passes.

I highly recommend you demo a Witness. Very easy board to ride...but great all around performer. There are probably a dozen other boards out there...from multiple mfgs...that are 'high end' but still easy enough to ride that a talented beginner could ride them and progress well.

The only thing I would recommend is stay away from a 3 stage or aggressive 3 stage board. Go with continuous, hybrid, mild 3 stage. Going with a aggro 3 stage will cause you to struggle with learning consistent pop.

(Message edited by kitewake on October 24, 2009)
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-24-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
I would highly suggest the Liquid Force Watson. Its an excellent all around board thats super forgiving and has a ton of pop off the wake! It wont be too much for you to progress on, but at the same time, will give you everything you need out of a board as you progress.

CH
Old    dperizzolo            10-24-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
PS3
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-25-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. Jeremy, I'm 5'11, 195. Demos aren't really an option for me. I'm in Canada and will be buying from the States, so I gotta bite the bullet and hope I like the board. Can't wait to get out there next year and rip it up!
Old    dperizzolo            10-25-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Where do you live Darren?
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-25-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
Manitoba
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-25-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
well, the size match up is good. hope whatever you find works out for ya
Old    dperizzolo            10-25-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
I don't know of any shops out there because I'm from Alberta, but I think you would be very satisfied with a PS3
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-30-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat<haha... I don't really like my board at all. It doesn't edge well and kicks out on me. This summer I found my old '92 Hyperlite Skurfer 2 and had a ball! I'm old, so inverts and all that crazy younger guys do ain't gonna happen.
Is there a board out there that's stable and fun like my old Skurfer?
I'm 5'9 165lbs. I had someone tell me that a 138" Hyperlite State might fit the bill. I might check out the LF Watson also. Any other suggestions?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-30-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
what board are you riding now that your not liking? it might help to know

other than that. it sounds like maybe you prefer a good, hard tracking board. most anything with bolt on fins in each corner would be good in this regards. pretty much all modern boards will have either bolt on fins or molded in fins on the corners. there is nothing wrong with molded-in fins, but if you specifically look at those with bolt-ons in the corners then you can play with the size of fin you want on 4 fins vs only 2.

those older skurfers had gnarly huge/deep fins. if it turns out that you really like a larger fin like that then you can get some up to 2.4 inches in depth from http://cdifins.com

but i am guessing here and just throwing out some info
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-30-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Darren Smith and Brown Clown and anyone else lookin' for info.

Not sure how it has escaped us soo long, but (if you have not yet) you should take a look at getting some comfortable-to-you "high-end" bindings. You can have the best board on the planet, but if you don't have good boots, you wont be able to control and fully utilize that board. The same goes for a good rope with no stretch (made of spectra and/or dyneema). the rope is what connects you to the boat, it is your life line to your ride. very important!!
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-30-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
Jeremy,
Thanks for the info. You're right on the money about a hard edging board for me.
My current board is prob 6 years old. It's a Hyperlite of some sort. At the time, it was pretty high end. Now...not so much. I thought getting some better/new bindings would help me, so I got some 2 summers ago. I still don't like the board. I also got a no stretch rope.
Thanks again for the input Jeremy.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
brownclown

might also stay away from the purely 3 stage and agressive 3 stage boards, again, not that they are not great, but since it sounds like you prefer to remain on the water more, a continuous rocker style board i think would be most suitable and will have the most fluid and quick carving. BUT IF you DO like a more aggressive buck of a pop when you do hit the wake, a threestage would be good

also with your size and weight you could ride a board closer to 140-142cm. the longer length will also help keep things more stable for you

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 31, 2009)
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-31-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeremy! Any suggestions on particular boards?
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-31-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
To add on to my question above... If you could point me in the direction of a few that you would recommend I would be able to narrow it down. Getting on Wakeside or some of the other sites is overwhelming.

Thanks again!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
These all fit the multiple (more than 2) bolt-on fin and continuous rocker style category.
F.Y.I. i have not ridden any of these boards myself, but I know from my going's-rounds that these are all good boards. if you can, demo before you buy. everyone's tastes are different. you can check the reviews on these boards too and/or ask others about them and additional suggestions.

CWB: Faction 144

Hyperlite: Marek 141, Murray 142 (2010 model, though it is a very mellow 3 stage hybrid rocker), 3DS/Pulse 139 or 143, Sub VI 142 (same as the 3DS, but a lighter core)

Ronix: 2008 Frontier or Covin,

Boards with Flex features. these boards are all quite void of channels and such on the bottom and can be considered quite LOOSE, *with an exception to the Company Vandal board for 2010. PERSONALLY these are my favorite types of boards, I just have more fun on them. i feel like landings are really soft too. some don't like them though.

Company: Recruit 143, *2010 Vandall 140*

Slingshot: Response 142 (this board i have ridden)

if i narrowed these down to a top 3 that I Think would have the highest chance to work for you, i would suggest:

1. CWB Faction 144 (great board for all levels and has been popular in reviews and discussions on this site. the faction has quite a following it has a large deep center spine on the belly to displace water and make landings soft. there is even a special lighter bamboo core version for 2010 for extra $ called the DB9 which is probably unnecessary for you, but i thought i'd share the option)

2. Hyperlite Marek 141 (voted wakeboard of the year 2009 in riders choice awards) (2009 is a special lighter core, 2010 has a choice of the lighter core at a higher price or the traditional foam core at a lower price)

3. Hyperlite 3DS or Pulse or Sub VI (Popular shape, popular enough to be made into a special lighter core, sub VI) (it is known as the Pulse in 2008 and as the 3DS before 2008)

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 31, 2009)
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-01-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
SS recoil.