Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    lucky            10-09-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
My wife and are looking to buy a new boat with in the next year. The boats we are considering as of now include SAN, Launch SSV, and Tige 20v. After reviewing the Tige catalogue with my wife she really liked the 22i. She liked the easy access to the swim platform and the abundance of seating (the initial draw to v-drives) We have not seen one in person so: How is the storage, auto ballast, comfort, and of course wake. We are familiar with the wakes of the above boats and the features of each, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
The storage is great and the seat layout is the best on that boat. I had a 22ir and loved it. The wake is great, but you will need weight. I don't know much about the auto ballast for that boat, but you can do your own for less than $1k with 2 500 pound sacs in the back and 500 pounds up front for an excellent wake.

It will handle much better than the v drive and it is excellent in rough water. Now to compare it to a SAN and SSV and any other v drive, it is a completely different boat and it would help to find out more about what you are using it for.

If you are strictly wakeboarding and are looking for the absolute best wake, I would get a 20V (actually a 22V) or the SAN. You are also talking about a $15k+ difference in price. If you are a beginning to intermediate wakeboarder and will be doing other things such as skiing, tubing, etc. with the family, the 22ir would be a great choice. It would really help to know what you feel are the most important features of a boat. Price, wake, performance, resale, quality, storage?

And of course as always, test drive.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have a 03 22I Riders Edition and love it. We do weight it with a 350# in each back locker and a 500# bag in the bow. We love the seating layout, you can get 9 behind the windshield with 8 facing backwards towards the rider, the storage works for us, even with the sacs in the back lockers we have room for vests, towels etc.

I would rate the wake great to excellant, I have not rode behind a SAN, but I have behind the SSV, and I found the weighted wakes to be very similar, the 22I is a little wider because of the 102 inch beam. But I have found it's rampy unweighted and the more weight you add the more vertical it gets.

Being a D Drive I find the handling to be great, even weighted. In rough water I agree with Brent, that is where the Taps comes into play keeping the bow higher through rough water.

I would rate it as one of the most versatile inboards out there and in my opinion the best seating layout going, if you are into hardcore wakeboarding only, you can find a better suited boat. But for an all around boat, with a very respectable wake, look closer at the 22I.
Old    kent            10-09-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
Yeah its sooooo huge. Not even comparable room wise to the other three boats you are looking at. We would have actually gone with the 22i if our dealer had an 03 in stock, but after testing the 22v and 21i we went with the 21i. One of the guys we ride with has a 22i he puts 4 sacks, 2 in the rear storage and 2 under the bow seats and the wake is really nice. Plus he'll take out 9-10 people and you dont even think about room. Super rough water boat, any of the 03 Tige` boats seem to perform really well in the chop though, which was a must for us as we are on a big lake. Trust me, sit at the back of the 22i and it seems like a mile to the bow. its awesome.
Old    lucky            10-09-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Thank you very much for the feedback. We primarly wakeboard, but did want a little versatility. Price is not really in the equation, though saving is always good. From the descriptions above I feel this boat could suit our needs well. The most important things to me are storage, auto ballast and an above average wake. If the wake is like the SSV I will be stoked. After three years of stepping on 1600 lbs of weight I can't wait to be able to walk around my boat unobstructed. Not to mention it will be friendly for the happy hour evening cruises around the lake. Thanks and I would love more feedback if anyone has more to offer.
Old    lucky            10-10-2003, 5:33 AM Reply   
On the other board I posed this same question. One response was that the wake is very wide on the 22i. Is it wider then the SSV or about the same. If you cannot compare the two please compare it to any boat you can. Thank you!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
It is a wider wake due to the 102 inch beam. Simple solution...just take your rope in 5 feet. Most boats I ride at 75 and on the Tige's I ride at 70. If storage, auto ballast and a great wake are you priorities, you should really check out the 22V as well as the 22ir. You will get more storage, a better wake without having to weigh it down as much, and a lot more options for an auto ballast system. Both are great boats, but from your priorities, the 22V would better suit you.
Old    kent            10-10-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
We are now riding at 85-90 feet behind our 21i at about 24mph. you can go SO huge and still land on the trannys of the wake. very nice.
Old    mikep            10-10-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
I own a 22V with Brent, but have been in the 22i. I love the layout of the boat. If storage is your main criteria then you can't beat the 22V or even the 24v. It's crazy how much storage there is. In our 22V we have a custom ballast and lead that puts over 2200 pounds in the boat and takes up maybe 20% of the storage. With the ballast full, we even have room to put wakeskates surf boards and wakeboards in the rear storage hatches. We also have two 12" woofers installed in the storage compartment in front of the driver and three amps in the passenger storage compartment - not to mention 22 other speakers. This boat has tons of room!

Still the 22i has almost as much storage and if you like the layout then go for it. I think the new Tige' ballast gives you 1000 pounds and you can also buy 600 pounds of factory lead that can be removed. We got he Rival Ballast which is amazing. Terry Barrett, the Tige' dealer from Arizona sells this. I would highly recommend looking into it for maximum weight. Also, if you are running a bunch of weight then a custom ACME prop is nice. Even better would be the new Vortec engine Tige' offers. Good luck!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
As far as stereo, in our 22I we have a sub 10" under the drivers feet and one under one of the back side seats across from the engine, the sub box goes under the seat from the rear storage comparment, takes up maybe the front 1/3 of the rear storage compartment but only half way up or 12"s, it fires out from under the seat, the 10 is not mounted on the outer part of the storage but we had a 6 X 9 grill put in so it could fire through that hole. We had to do this because the wall under the seat is not tall enought to fit a 10 in. I will take a picture over the weekend of the setup. I can put a 3rd 10 under the other side seat too, if I wish down the road.

We placed the back sub under the seat opposite of the driver where the other sub is, it really rounded out the sound.

Plus 6 speakers throughout the boat, and 2 niles os20s on the tower. Running 3 amps, 1 - 1000 watt and 2 - 500 watts. Sounds great, it can thump with the best of them. I have not even felt like I need the extra 10, even though it would not be to big a deal to add it. I guess if it sounds good, why mess with it? Nice to know you can add to the arsenal if you need though. LOL

By the way, our 22I came with an ACME prop a 13X12 I believe, we just had to replace it "don't ask" and I went with a 13X11.5 for a little more holding power when weighted.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Here is a shot that shows you all the room you have in a 22I.

Old    aquajack            10-11-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
Hey folks, with all of the info on the different size Tige's in this post, can anyone tell me if they use a boom with their Tiges (newer hulls only 2003 or 2004) as far as hull spray goes? Since I teach a lot of people this info is very important to me.
Also has anyone ever footed BEHIND their Tige's?
What is the top speed of your boats?
Weighted and unweighted?
Does it make a big difference.
I am considering the Tige Line and your opinions both pros and cons would be greatly apreciated.
Feel free to email me and send me any pics to help me with my decision, please.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-12-2003, 12:51 AM Reply   
Where's ExTigeman? in 5.4.3.2.1.....
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-12-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Steven Hahn (solo) ,

Ya really! Should be here any minute. He is notorious for posting under Tigé threads.
Old    matt_dettman            10-12-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
JD,

There is some spray on the new v-drives. We use the Barefoot international Uni-boom with the extension on the 22v. It puts the footer or student out well beyond the spray. For long-line the footing characteristics are excellent IMO.

Matt
Old    lucky            10-14-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
Tige' MSRP's

Do the MSRP's on the website include such items as tower, ballast, PP, and stereo. The prices seems to be about the same for Rider's Edition vs. Limited. If you look at sites for Malibu or Nautique the wakeboard specific boats have the riding esentials standard. If not I do not understand why you would advertise a MSRP for a Riders Edition boat and then you have to pay extra for tower etc.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Greg,

the Riders Edition is the same as the limited. They just have different graphics. Pretty funny huh? I bought the Riders Edition, but at the dealership in SoCal the first time I was in, that was the first point the told me, was that only the graphics are different, that was the number one question they got when people checked out their brochure, what is the difference between the two.

I have not checked their site lately, but from what I understand the MSRP includes, tower and basic stereo. But not PP, or balast.

We paid $40,000 for the 2003 22I Riders Edition, which included everything but the balast, and with a tandem Extreme trailer. That "does not" include tax and license.
Old    lucky            10-14-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
Jonathan, Thank you for the information. Did that price also include TAPS.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
Yep it included taps. That is standard on all Tige's
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
What I found cool was the Tower was standard equipment, but the ski pylon is additional. LOL Now that is a wakeboard boat! We did not add the ski pylon, we wouldn't use it anyway and it just gets in the way.

Also on the PP, we went with the Wakeboard Cruise version, our sales guy talked us out of the Wakeboard Pro, they basically do the same thing, but the cruise version is around $700 less!
Old    lucky            10-14-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
That's good stuff. I have PP Cruise in my current boat. I think it is a great system, you really can't go wrong either way. Do you wish you had added factory ballast?
Old    lucky            10-14-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Jonathan, Is that a Phat Budde tower, if so how do you like it? Would it still be your first choice.
Old    lucky            10-14-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Jonathan, Is that a Phat Budde tower, if so how do you like it? Would it still be your first choice.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
I think it is well worth the money for the digital perfect pass. It is so much easier to dial things by using the digital speedo on the PP, especially when pulling multiple riders and surfing. Just saves time and is much more accurate.

If I were to do it again, I would get the lead from Tige for 600 pounds, but get an aftermarket ballast system. I have one in my boat that fills and drains 1700 pounds in less than 5 minutes. There are 5 bags and 5 switches for independent drain and fill. It makes it effortless to change between wakeboarding to surfing regular, then goofy, etc. You have total control. Terry who makes the Rival Ballast System is what I use and it is awesome. It is one of the best and most useful features on my boat.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-14-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
Greg.. definately lock your boat up at night, someone got in my boat on the lift, tore out the dash, ripped out the glove box, and stole the stereo and a ship to shore radio and about 50 cds last week... the worst part is i know who did it, but cant do anything about it yet. I dont know if you live on the water or not, but just a fair warning about the jackasses around here.
Old    lucky            10-15-2003, 5:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Brent... I think you have helped me greatly.

Cory, That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear about your boat. Good luck on your insurance claim and handeling the bums that messed up your boat.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yep that is the tower and I like it a lot. The only problem is the area to mount speakers on is not real large, we fit 2 Niles OS20s on it and that works very good. But if you went with 6 1/2" cans you could only fit 2 maybe 3, or 2 6X9s. Because the top of the tower is tapered in. But it adds to the style in my opinion. I don't really care for the towers that go straight up boxy style. The board racks work well too.

As far as balast, I have net seen the system that Tige' puts on their boats. So I am not sure if I would want it or not, if it is a quality set-up that works well, then I wish I did order it. But I think it is some Phat Sacs in the lockers that are plumbed into, I would have to see it first to know if I want them. For now I go with 1 350# sac in the each back locker and a 500# one in the bow, but I am going to get lead for under the bow seats to get the sac out of the bow walk way.

Then all will be hidden.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
This gives you a little better shot of the tower and speakers.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Another thing you can see on that pic is the size of the swim platform. You could play football on it!!! Every person who sees it coments on it and loves it.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-15-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
Tige sponsered rider, Keith Lyman was so impressed with his Tige he left it uncovered for more than a week (it poured)and it sunk!. Yay, you heard me, sunk! It found a home on the bottom of the lake, dockside.... Take it for what its worth...
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
And your point is?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-15-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
Greg,

Is there a reason you ruled out the Malibu VLX or the new LSV? Obviously I'm biased since my VLX is for sale, but I thought you had a pretty good Malibu dealer there in the Green Cove/Doctor's Lake area.

The VLX can't be beat when it comes to your criteria - storage, ballast, wake. Stock MLS, Wedge, and 400 lbs of lead = world class wakeboard wake in two minutes...just a thought.

I would (will) buy another VLX some day!

Old    mikep            10-15-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
Hey BT. I own a 22V and ride behind a VLX just as often. In my opinion, the VLX is really nice but the space and storage of the 22V is quite a bit more than the VLX. The VLX has a 93" beam vs. the 102" of the Tige' and the Tige' is quite a bit deeper. As far as wake the VLX doesn't have quite as steep of a wake, but of course it's a great wake. Still the VLX has tons of space, just not quite as much as the Tige's do. For a sportier feel, I like the VLX. If you want the big ol' Escalade of boats, the Tige' is a good choice.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-15-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
Porter,

Is that wake from your 22V in your profile pic? If so what do you have in there? Like your boat too.

Old    mikep            10-15-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
Thanks! I have a Rival Ballast System. The Tige' dealer in Arizona manufactures and sells it. I have two 550s in the rear hatches, two 200s in the very front bow storage area and another 550 under the floor in the bow. I also run another 350 pounds of lead. The center sack doesn't fill all the way, so I think the overall weight is around 2100 pounds, which is all hidden and automatic.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-15-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
Porter,

That's one of the sharpest boats I've seen.

I bought based on what was available in Tampa Bay - MC, Malibu, Moomba. No Tige, Supra, Calabria, Centurion, MB Sports, etc.

I know there is a pretty good Malibu dealer in Jax, so I was curious why no Malibu, that's all...If there were a strong local dealer I'd also consider the 22V next time around, especially with the new hull and stringer design.

(Message edited by ofwc on October 15, 2003)
Old    lucky            10-16-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
B T Lowe,

In regards to Malibu; I have not completely ruled out Malibu, but for some reason I don't care for their boats much. I know that they are good quality boats with lots of different options to fit all needs, but they do not excite me. I think I just don't like the way they look. No offense just personal taste. The guys at Big Dog Marine (Supra, Moomba, and Malibu) are very nice. Last summer I was out on our home lake. A beutiful SSV pulled up to us. They just stopped by to say hi, they said they want to know everyone that rides on the lake. Turns out it was the owner and a sales rep from Big Dog. They invited us on board for a pull and fed us beers. Super nice guys. Any way, as of now I'm just gathering a lot of facts, opinions, and details. I don't want to demo or waste a sales person time until it is time to buy (about a year). When it is time I will take a closer look at Malibu, but I have seen many up close and ridden behind a few so I know what to expect from them. Again I am not anti-Malibu, but when I spend 40k plus on a boat I want to be so excited I can't sleep.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-16-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
Porter,

Is there a website for this "Rival Ballast System"?

thx
Old    mikep            10-16-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
I think there might be, but I don't know what the address is. Terry's email is terry@tigeaz.com. I emailed him as well and will let you know.
Old    mikep            10-16-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
There is a pretty basic website they just put together at:

http://rivalindustry.com/Main.htm
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-18-2003, 10:36 PM Reply   
I can't believe xtigeman hasn't chimed in yet? Here's another pic of Porter and Hulings rig.

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-19-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
It may not be an issue for you, but the tige has full sized seats compared to the SAN. If you are very tall, when you sit in an SAN your knees are up around your ears. After a hard ride, the last I want is to get cramps because I can't get comfortable anywhere on an SAN. The Tige is going to be much better for overall comfort for the whole family, but also excellent when you and the guys go wakeboarding.

I love the black machine above, but the ones I've seen are very labor intensive to keep clean, and scratches that would otherwise be invisible, make the boat look like it fell off the trailer on the interstate.
Old    maverick_gear            10-19-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
in my humble opinion save yourself alot of time and money, and check out some other boats. theres some hardcore tige owners around and i don't want to piss anyone off however tiges just don't have good wakes compared to the other brands, trust me i know i have spent weeks with Kathy and jeff, charlie p and bisch. the nautique would be waaay better but it is smaller, if you want a good combination of space, manueverability and a GOOD wake check out a LSV, VLX or a Centurion Avalanche, or if you got $$ look at the NEW LSV. centurions go very unnoticed but there is a reason why centurion is the growingest boat company on the market right now. i personally have had extensive experience with all boats the brands and you should ride a lsv VLX and the Avalanche b4 you buy anything, the avalanche has by far one of the best hulls on the water right now they just arent' quite as nice inside.... anyway thats just my opinion so no offense to anyone
Old    mikep            10-24-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Maverick. You may be talking about the older Tige' hulls with spray pockets. The 2003+ Tige' 22V has one of the best wakes I've ever ridden behind. It's in between the VLX and SAN as far as steepness, which I feel is just perfect.

Are you saying that since you've ridden with Charlie and Bisch that you now are the authority on wakes? Opinion doesn't sound too humble to me. :-)
Old    xrated            10-26-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Hey Porter, who made the cover for your boat? is it as good as it looks? do you travel with it on?
Old    pjmicklos            10-26-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   

I just finished my first season with my 22i r. What I liked was the ride. We get some pretty rough water on the rivers here in Pittsburgh. It was a great improvement over my SN in that regard. Ditto on the space and storage. Top speed with a 13 x 13 4 blade prop was 42 mph unloaded. Plenty of poser out of the hole with the 315 hp.
Old    matt_dettman            10-26-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   
Nice Bimini Paul! Thanks again!
Old    00prostar205v            10-26-2003, 11:55 PM Reply   
Is that a BMW x5? How does it do pulling that Tige? Classy looking rig.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
Surprisingly, the X5 pulls that boat great. I have a Denali XL also and the X5 pulls the boat much better. Much more torque, quieter, and you don't even feel the tranny downshifting going up hills. It can be redlining and you don't even know it unless you are watching the tach. It gets pulled around a little more due to the short wheelbase, but that is the only disadvantage. It is a very impressive car for towing.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-29-2003, 10:03 PM Reply   
I can attest to that! The X5 pulls the 22V better than Brent's Denali. Go figure?