Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dcel22)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-15-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with a few models to research further. I'm an intermediate wakeboarder and am looking to spend $30k-$50k on a boat. I've ridden behind a few boats but haven't really gotten to ride behind a lot. I'm hoping to find some of you who have gotten a chance to ride behind a bunch of boats and get your feedback on how you stack certain models up.

I'd like to get a boat that has an excellent wakeboard wake. I like to wakesurf as well but I would put priority on the wakeboard wake. I'm not sure how much the length of the boat will affect the wake. Usually larger boats provide a nicer wake, yeah? I'd like to try to get a boat with a nice wake but also would like to minimize fuel consumption so I figure maybe something shorter than 23'. I am fine with having all the bells and whistles like LCD displays but would probably prefer the simplicity of analog gauges in the long run.

I figure I will most likely end up spending near the upper end of my $ range.

So far I'm really only considering an Axis A20/A22 or a Malibu VLX. What do you guys think? Would you prefer say a 2009ish VLX wakeboard wake or the wake from an A20 or A22? Is there a big difference in wake between the A20 and the A22? Is there a big difference between the plug and play and without for axis boats? Any suggestions or comments on experience would be very much appreciated.

Also what other boats would you suggest that meet this criteria? I'm not sure I want to go new. I want to find something that hopefully won't depreciate much. (Hoping to save some money on those first few years of depreciation).

Thanks!

Last edited by dcel22; 07-15-2015 at 8:12 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
Fuel wise - http://boats.oodle.com/view/2009-cor...977-denver-co/
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-16-2015, 8:04 AM Reply   
you can get into a 2013- 2012 Mb 21' Tomcat in that price range.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
The A20 and A22 wake from 2010-2014 is VERY similar. A20 wake is a little wider, but very similar shape. The A20 wake is VERY big for a 20 foot boat. I've surprised a lot of people that thought they were coming out on a 20 footer and getting a small wake. Simply not the case.

The plug n play makes ALL the difference. You need to add bags to the plug n play on A20 and A22, and I would argue even on the VLX you still need plug n play.

I'd recommend with the Axis that you look for a 2013 model if you want to save some cash. They will have the best quality interior, updated swim platform and in general many small enhancements that were made over the years that improved the quality of the boat. 2014 Axis boats will have surfgate. That may drive the price up a bit, but you'll get better resale value too. 2012 and older Axis are great boats too, but some people complain about the vinyl quality, and the surf wave won't be as good due to swim platform shape.

IMO, you can spend in the low 40s and get a GREAT boat with either the A20 or A22. Heck, I was reading on another forum that someone found a 2011 A20 in the high-30s...tough to beat that.
Old     (dcel22)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-17-2015, 4:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The A20 and A22 wake from 2010-2014 is VERY similar. A20 wake is a little wider, but very similar shape. The A20 wake is VERY big for a 20 foot boat. I've surprised a lot of people that thought they were coming out on a 20 footer and getting a small wake. Simply not the case.

The plug n play makes ALL the difference. You need to add bags to the plug n play on A20 and A22, and I would argue even on the VLX you still need plug n play.

I'd recommend with the Axis that you look for a 2013 model if you want to save some cash. They will have the best quality interior, updated swim platform and in general many small enhancements that were made over the years that improved the quality of the boat. 2014 Axis boats will have surfgate. That may drive the price up a bit, but you'll get better resale value too. 2012 and older Axis are great boats too, but some people complain about the vinyl quality, and the surf wave won't be as good due to swim platform shape.

IMO, you can spend in the low 40s and get a GREAT boat with either the A20 or A22. Heck, I was reading on another forum that someone found a 2011 A20 in the high-30s...tough to beat that.
Hey Tom, thanks for the reply. This is very helpful for figuring out what year and model axis to go with. How would you compare the wake of an A20 vs a VLX? Which would you prefer?
Old     (dcel22)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-17-2015, 4:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
you can get into a 2013- 2012 Mb 21' Tomcat in that price range.
Hi Scott, thnanks for the reply. I haven't heard much about MBs but I guess there is a new 23 footer on our lake. One of the guys on the lake who has a bu says that the MB is very very nice. Starting to do some research on MB and it looks like an MB is also an option.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-17-2015, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcel22 View Post
Hey Tom, thanks for the reply. This is very helpful for figuring out what year and model axis to go with. How would you compare the wake of an A20 vs a VLX? Which would you prefer?
A20 ... I'm a little biased though. But I ride behind a 2012 VLX very frequently and the wake is good also.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-17-2015, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
2012 and older Axis are great boats too, but some people complain about the vinyl quality, and the surf wave won't be as good due to swim platform shape.
2012 Models have the updated swim platform. 2011 and older are the more square versions that messed with the wave.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-17-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
2012 Models have the updated swim platform. 2011 and older are the more square versions that messed with the wave.

Ahhh yeah you're right!
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-17-2015, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ahhh yeah you're right!
There was some improvement to the vinyl from 11 to 12 as well. Its my understanding that the biggest changes from 12 to 13 was the change to the helm - switch from rocker switches to toggles, improved LCD and integrated heater outlets.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-17-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2012-Tig...ida-48423.aspx

Photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125360...57651909987835