Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old                04-25-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
I just bought a used air chair on ebay. I have be on an air chair three or four times but no one with me knows how to ride. What rope lenght and speed should I start at and as i get better should it change. Thx Will
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2003, 8:10 PM Reply   
I have mine since Oct. I started riding at 15 till I got control. Then I rode at 18 learning small jumps and landing. It's easy to jump but only go fast enough so you can ride away with it no matter how much bouncing there is. Today I was up to 23.5 and getting wake to wakes :-)

Biggest problem to get over- don't ride to high. If you get to high, you can get air under the front foil causing the nose to dive suddenly.

I ride full rope. Don't know if rope affects much.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
I think you'll find it's a bit easier with a longer rope. It will slow things down a bit when turning giving you time to re-cover.

Also, when you pop the foil, do it again, let go on that thrid pop in a row. It's the one that will hurt.

I ride a full rope plus two extra lengths, it's pretty long but at 25 to 27mph the wake narrows up a bit.

What airfreak notes is right. Start off slow and work your way up. The foil should start to fly at 12mph. I'd stay around 15 to 18mph then work up to 24 or more.
Old                04-27-2003, 5:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for the good info. I rode twice this weekend, 65 foot rope and 16 to 18 mph. Already doing small jumps and made wake to wake once. Tried a gainer and didn't make all the way around. Nice nose dive ha ha. But still alot of fun. Thx Will
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-06-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
I ride at 25 to 27mph also, but my rope is 75.