Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-27-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
CONGRATULATIONS TO RUSSELL RAMEY FOR WINNING THE HUMANOID WAKEBOARD DESIGN CONTEST.
RUSSELL I HAVEN'T SEEN BOTH OF THE DESIGNS WOULD YOU POST THEM UP ON HERE????
THANKS
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-27-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
STOP YELLING!!!!

thanks
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-27-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
that hurt my ears!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
WHAT!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-27-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
this isnt a craigslist add for a 92 jeep wrangler in great condition.
CALL FRANK.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
here are the winners, i just kinda copied and pasted from the web site

the first two are Russell's and the third is Robert's

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-28-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
thanks jeremy
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
WHATS THE BIG DEAL WITH CAPS? YELLING??? YOU GUYS READ CAPS AS SOMEONE YELLING, AS IF SOMEONE (MAYBE YOU?) CARES ENOUGH ABOUT AN INTERNET TOPIC TO ACTUALLY HAVE TO "YELL"...PRETTY SAD, GUYS. DO YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY READING CAPS? OR DO YOU JUST NEED A "REAL" PROBLEM TO WHINE ABOUT? IF ANYTHING, CAPS LOCK CAN HELP A MESSAGE BE READ EASIER, AND FOR OLD GUYS LIKE joe, CAPS LOCK MAY AID IN DISTINGUISHING ONE LETTER FROM THE NEXT. FOR MANY PEOPLE, LIKE MYSELF, MY JOB REQUIRES THAT I TYPE EXCLUSIVELY IN CAPITALS, FOR CLARITY OF ALL THINGS. SO, WHEN SWITCHING BETWEEN WORK AND WAKEWORLD, I CANNOT BE BOTHERED TO TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK JUST TO APPEASE A FEW SNOBBY WAKEWORLD REGULARS. GET A PROBLEM! ...AND WHEN YOU OPEN A THREAD, TRY YOUR HARDEST TO OFFER SOME REAL ADVICE/KNOWLEDGE/OPINION, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WAKEWORLD IS FOR, NOT FOR ADULTS TO BELITTLE OTHERS BASED ON THE CONTENT OF THERE INQUIRIES. OH, AND ANOTHER THING. EMOTICONS ARE GREAT. GREAT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL AND/OR ARRANGE THE WORDS THAT DESCRIBE HOW THEY ARE FEELING. THEY WERE ACTUALLY INVENTED TO AID NON-VERBAL AUTISTIC CHILDREN IN EXPRESSING THEMSELVES. ANYWAYS, JUST SAYING, I DON'T FEEL THAT I NEED TO TAKE GRAMMAR LESSONS FROM 40 YR OLD MEN WHO USE EMOTICONS. END RANT, FOR NOW.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
^hypocrite!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
dude its just plan annoying that’s all. its way easier to read lowercase letters have all caps.

"I CANNOT BE BOTHERED TO TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK JUST TO APPEASE A FEW SNOBBY WAKEWORLD REGULARS."

It is super hard on the pinky to hit that caps button.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
ACTUALLY, THE REST OF THE WORLD WOULD LIKE TO DISAGREE...CAPS ARE WAY EASIER TO READ, THAT IS WHY MOST SIGNS/WARNINGS/IMPORTANT WORDS/ETC.. ARE IN CAPS, FOR CLARITY! ARCHITECTURAL/ENGINEERING NOTES, TECHNICAL DATA, BILLBOARDS, TITLES, LETTERHEADS, THE LIST GOES ON...
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-28-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
And that is why this is NEITHER of those...
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Someones got their panties in a wad... Oh crap hang on.. SOMEONES GOT THEIR PANTIES IN A WAD The words I would use to describe my emoticon are lmao
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-28-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
We don't care how you type your engineering notes. It's just not polite to YELL on a forum. But it sounds like you know WAY more than we do about how the world works....
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-28-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
Apparently, I'm not included in the "rest of the world". At FedEx & Coca-Cola (my only two jobs in 23 years), it's actually considered unprofessional to type in all caps. I personally find it more difficult to read, but I'm old (which I think has been defined as over 40). While I believe it's generally viewed as RUDE to type in all caps (so do Wikipedia & most email etiquette sites), perhaps the person using all caps is just very enthusiastic and excited about the discussion. If so, good for them!

As for the Humanoid contest winners....Nice Job & look forward to seeing your work on the water!!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
Everyone is wrong if you ask me. We dont have to post pics, or make rude comments. Simple info in a polite manner should do it. Then if someone still wants to "YELL" let em do it. Who cares. More people antagonize on this site. its like a bunch of 4 year olds running around. I know we all think we are "core riders". But ive talked to some seriously "core riders" ie. some of our heros to the sport, and they think this site is the gayest thing ever because of stuff like this. I would also say more people lurk here than post and just think what an argument like what has occurred here says about us.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Bingo! We have a winner.

THANKS KEVIN!
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
I THOUGHT MY SECOND POST WOULD HELP PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT I REALLY DON'T CARE THAT MUCH AND AM ADDRESSING THIS PEEVE WITH A VERY LIGHT-HEARTED...SHOULD HAVE USED AN EMOTICON.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
why did you not capitalize Joe? thats rude....
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-28-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I guess it is gay to have etiquette these days.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-28-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
SORRY TO CAUSE SUCH A RUCKUS THE ONLY REASON MY POST WAS IN CAPS LOCK WAS BECAUSE I AM AT WORK AND CAPS LOCK IS USED IN EVERYTHING.....

(Message edited by devildog_ra on January 28, 2009)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-28-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
ACTUALLY, THE REST OF THE WORLD WOULD LIKE TO DISAGREE

You can't argue with a man who speaks for the rest of the world.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
It’s not about etiquette or respect, because if that was the case, we wouldn’t got out of our way to bag on someone for something as trivial as typing in ALL CAPS!

The reason these arguments start is simply because we are all hiding behind our keyboards and the likely hood of any kind of personal ramifications for what we type or say is next to nil.

Here is an example of how screwed up this really is:

So you are in line at the grocery store with your kid and a couple of dudes are in the line next to you and they are spewing profanity left and right, or maybe they weren’t even swearing, maybe they were just BEING VERY LOUD!. How many of you have the balls to ask them to keep it down, or to stop swearing?

I don’t think many of you would.

But get behind a keyboard and watch all the etiquette police step up to the front of the line!

So I guess my point is , if you wouldn’t say it to their face, then don’t say it on here!

Anyone want to talk about wakeboarding? I went riding last weekend in the Tri Cities, WA and it snowed all day. Here are some pics:

Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
MR.JAKOBER, YOU ARE A WISE MAN.

i put that in caps cuz I really meant it.
and i posted the thread earlier cuz i feel the same way. i type in caps lock and don't like emoticons, big deal. i'm just looking for the type of thing you are providing, a general stoke and some cool pics/convo to get me through winter. thanks.

p.s., sometimes you have to be "that guy" and say something.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-28-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
"sometimes you have to be "that guy" and say something"

Pointless exercise, because no matter how you whine like a 7 year old lil girl, it's not going to change what is already accepted. Make no mistake though, today, you are without a doubt "that guy." Might I suggest some gymnastic lessons, shoot for the stars too, LEVEL 10.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-28-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
OH SNAP!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
J-

GREAT riding Photos! Cant believe you are already slaying! AWSOME. Are you rocking one decade boot and one Vice Boot??????
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Sweet pics man! your setup matches that boat! i never much cared for obrien, but over the years their stuff has gotten better and better. Those white boots are sweet! Im guessing you traded with someone to get the different colors. someone else has a black right foot and left white? lol

and im not sorry for the hi-jack either (how is the italics on the eyes, it means that im feeling profound on the subject)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
i noticed the two different colors too. isn't one the vice and the other the decade boot?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, thats one of each. They are samples from the factory, so instead of sending a pair of each boot to each person to check out, they just split them up and send one of each. It's an easy way to save a dime!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-28-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
id rock that for sure!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
J-

Funny! Hahahaha, they just sent me boots, no choice just here you go nintzel have some boots!

I cannot believe that you are about to jump off the dock with no HAT on, WOW!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
Wow, talk about a bomb. All I wanted to see was some pictures of a new board. New O'Brien stuff looks pretty good though. How is it riding with the different boots, because aren't they different stiffnessesessesssess(it comes off the tongue/eyes better that way)?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
the last time i saw someone wearing two different bindings i think was eric ruck back when he was with Blindside. he was wearing two different year's models of the same boot because mostly just the colors changed... or at least this is how i remember it...
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
That is some crazy riding! You are NUTZ! LOL!!! j/k
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ben,

As cold as it was that day, the boots were frozen, so varying stiffness was not an issue!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
As for CAPS

caps work great for making something POP! and sure they are great for making things like "WARNING" and "FREE" pop out, but that is because they are stand alone phrases or words mixed with just a few other words. same thing for Billboards. no billboard is gona have more than a sentence... if there is even more than just a phrase. Otherwise people never read them going 75 mph or else crash!

If you read instructions for any appliance it will say WARNING! followed by smaller words, to grab your attention to the underlying warning

I personally don't think of CAPS as YELLING! (all the time) but more of an emphasis similar to BOLD and ITALICS
So when an entire sentence is CAPS there is nothing emphasized because it ALL IS! except for a case of not capitalizing a single word,.....
..... THEN IRONICALLY THE lower cased word(s) BECOME THE VERY THING THAT IS EMPHASIZED WHILE THE REST OF THE SENTENCE APPEARS ORDINARY (TO SOME)

CAPS become harder to read when many of them are used in an entire sentence or paragraph, especially for those who do not commonly read caps, which actually is most people. This is why all books are NOT written in caps

I learned of a study in an English class in college that shows why CAPS are actually not as recognizable. words with lowercase letters tend to make a more distinguishable shape while CAPS make identical box shapes of words. we tend to look at the overall shape a word makes to help us read and that shape is lost when caps are used
see pics bellow. i think they will speak for themselves:

Upload

With this said. i can understand to a point that it could be difficult to an extent to break a habit of writing in caps... strangely, my Dad seems to like caps better too. but if you try better to accommodate, then people will be more likely to answer your questions without commenting on your method of presentation. If you forget to undo the caps lock, surely you will see you forgot within the first sentence and you can go back and change it. Same applies for work, if you go back to work and you forget to go back to CAPS i am sure you will catch it right away. in the end it will be hardly an inconvenience that you think it might be, especially to avoid all these arguments.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-29-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
why is this still an ISSUE?
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
This is a battle we MUST NOT back down from. ITS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-29-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Epic derailing of a thread.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-29-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Two tone boots - I am sure I have seen pictures of Murray and JD Webb wearing the two different colours of the Murrays (or maybe it was Rathy prior to Byerly). Looks pretty sharp actually, I like the style.