Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-21-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
I am getting ready to purchase some more ballast for my Nautique 2001. Any advice on how to load it up? I currently have one 540lb bag. I was thinking two on either side of the engine but not sure were to go from there. I like the keep my rear seat in so that limits me there. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
depending on how many people are aboard and what your looking for. Generally we take ours out with 2-3 people counting rider. Usually a 540 across the back is sufficient for us. And today a 250 towards the spotter seat to even out the drivers weight was decent. A buddy has some lead were going to melt into bricks to put under the rear seat in the storage comp. which should hopefully do away with at least 1 sac.
Old     (rmm025)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
We have a 2001 and we weight it 600lbs in a custon locker across the back with about 500+ a little in the front under the bow. The wake is unbelievable for that boat. We reduce it a little when more than 4 or 5 go out but thats only to help the engine out a little.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-21-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
I run a 750 lb fly high x-series (the square sacs)across the back on the floor, about 80 lbs of lead under the back seat, a 350 lb sack on each side of the engine, and about 220 lbs of lead in the front. I usually only have 3-4 guys total in the boat (another 600 lbs). I have the boat proped with the acme 542 and it handles great. The wake is very large and steep. I ride behind a lot of boats and I have to say that the little 2001 throws as good of a wake as any boat I've been behind. My only complaint about the 2001 is room. But if you just want to ride hard with a small crew, you can't beat it.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-22-2006, 12:17 AM Reply   
suggestion number 1....get rid of all the sacs. (all but one in the ski locker) I did that for a while and they are a pain to fill and a pain to empty. Not to mention the space they take up and the limited locations you can put them and essentially the weight overall. Two words...I put it in wakeworld terms...lol....GOT LEAD? Lead it up man. I run 400 lbs under my back seat. Nobody knows its there. Its far to the rear so the wake is super steep. Then I have 200 far foward under the bow of my 94 Sport. The I recently decided to run a 350 sac in the ski locker and man it was the Ketle One in a grayhound....ok what I mean was it was the shiiiiiznit! It brought down the bow enough. When you got two or three peeps on the back seat, two or three in the middle, and man on the motor box. Forget about it....you'll be the next one to the moon....not NASA.lol Plus the overall convinience of freeing walkway space.

Ok let me tell you the disadvantages. Your tow vebicle will not be happy and neither will your trailler. But 400-600 lead is all good. I have been runnin it on a dual axle DHL trailer and she is holdin up reletively speaking. Anyway good luck and take care

(Message edited by zride on April 22, 2006)
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-22-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
I agree with Isacc that walking over sacks sucks! But, I don't think you can relate what he does with his super sport (open bow I assume) to the 2001. With the 2001 you could put lead under the back seat (I don't know if you could get 400lbs because it is shallow, but maybe) and a couple hundred lbs of lead in the nose - BUT the 2001 doesn't have a ski locker to add the other 350lbs. IMO 600lbs of lead is NOT enough. Even with the extra 350 you are still under 1000lbs. I run just over 1700lbs in ballast (plus people would put me around 2200lbs) and think it is just about ideal. If I put more ballast wieght, around 2000+, I don't think the boat handles as well. Anything less than 1500-1700 in ballast still has good shape to the wake, but is not as large in volume. Another thing that is definatly different than what Isaac is doing is the amount of people. Including the driver, he is running with 6-8 guys. I personaly don't ever have more than 3-4 when I am going out to just wakeboard. I guess if you did you have the lead and 6-8 guys you would be around 1200 - 1400 total wieght, I just personal wouldn't want that many guys in the 2001 and think you need more wieght than that. Sacks on the floor do suck, unfortunatly it's just something you have to deal with on the 2001. Just keep telling yourself that those sacks give you the same, if not a better, wake than a lot of new boats but that you saved about 40 grand going with the 2001.

(Message edited by centralcali on April 22, 2006)
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-22-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
I run my 2001 with the rear seat in, four dive weight bags filled with tire weights (about 200+ lbs) behind the engine cover on the floor in front of the rear seat and two 775 lb sacks along the sides of the engine box. One dive weight bag in front and a bunch of stereo gear in the bow. This configuration gives a place to stand in the back to get geared up. If we're only running with 3 people, I have two 85 lb cubes for the back seat and to even the wake out. You've got to re-prop at this point to the Acme 542 or you'll never get out of the hole. Like Trevor said, for the money if you're willing to compromise on space the 2001 is a great boat.

This is a pic of the wake with that configuration.

Upload
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-22-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
add a 400 to either side of the eng and leave it alone. the only problem w/ this hull is the wake is very narrow. half the time its only 2 in the boat, a rider and a 600# behind the eng cover... the wake is fine... who wants to land 12' out in the flats all the time -- other problem w/ this hull is -the more weight you add the faster you have to ride to clean up the wake -- 800#'s and 75' 22mph is all you will ever need...
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-24-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
I got a chance to borow two sacks this weekend. I probably ended up with about 400-500 on either side of the engine and then we put a 200lb sack in the back. We had about 5 guys in the boat and it was sick. I did need to drive a little faster and I was landing all my tricks in the flats, so I think a longer line is in order also. Sounds like I should get two new 400s for either side and then I can take the back seat out and run the 540 as needed. I may also try and run some sand bags in the nose, or maybe I could just get a sub and amp! Now I just need to figure out a good wakesurfing configuration
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-24-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
let me know what you come up w/ on weighting the boat for surfing -- we have had a difficult time w/ that...
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-24-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
2 x-series 250# on each side of the cover with 100# of lead up front and 110 # x-series bag in back too move around to clean up wake. 2 in boat plus 1 rider 70-80 feet at 22-23 MPH. So far this has worked really nice. I suppose if i had more weight it might get bigger but i like the area in front of the back seat opened up. Had a chance to buy in on new boat this year but i like the way the old girl looks and wake is fine for people that are way better than me. I've ridden best behind Sanger or Malibu. Wen't with the Acme prop.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-25-2006, 4:03 AM Reply   
Trevor....You ever been behind Squid's ride? Now that is a Fat ass wake....Almost makes me want to get rid of my 2001 !!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Dude, that wake looks wicked. I wish CC would bring that boat back. Could you imagine how cool it'd be to get one of those with a 400lb tank under the bow, 400lb tank under the back seat, perfect pass, fuel injection and a nice tower. It'd be sick. Price it at $28k and sell
em like hot cakes.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-26-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
2nd that bring it back

(Message edited by Jon43 on April 26, 2006)
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-27-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
So I orderes two Pro-X V drive sacs for either side of my engine box and then I guess I will just play aroudn with my old 540lb bag and see where I should put it. How do you guys keep the scks from pushing on your engine box? I am also tryign to figure out a good way to put weight in the bow. I'm not sure if every 2001 has this but I have a kickpanel under the bow with a heater (that doesn't work) behind it. I feel like I would need to remove all that stuff to get a sack up there.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-27-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Midwesttex- Gordon and I run straps around the bags on the side of the engine cover to keep them from pushing it in. As far as the bow, I run about 100lbs in lead and usually have 2-3 guys (includes the driver) in the front. That seems to be enough wieght, any more the nose may dip. As far as the 540, I would leave the back seat in and just lay it on the floor across the back. As far as your kickpanels, I wouldn't take them out. I have the same set up as you with the heater (mine didn't work either when I first got it). I would fix the heater, a core is only $30, and use the panels to mount future amps. I have a kicker 400.1 amp, for the sub, mounted on the panel facing the driver and a kicker 650.4 amp, for my tower, mounted to the side panel that runs down the middle to the front. I then used the panel in the middle to support, or wedge, my sub up in the nose. I put a kicker soloberic 10" sub (the square one) as far up in the nose as I could. I cut, or nothched, the panel to hold the square box I had made for the speaker. I can try to email you pics if you want. Hope this helps.

Hillbilly-
No I haven't been behind Squids wake yet- it sounds nice though. He has been behind mine a couple times. If you live local, you should come out to Stockton some time and ride with us.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-28-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
These boats are overrated. Absolutely no wake!

Upload
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-28-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Trevor...Local as in Woodland....North of Sac but I always seem to be driving down to Don Pedro to ride with Squid and the boys from the gated community. I need to qiute riding and start working on my boat(bad stringers) and get it fixed for summer. Thanks for the offer....Jeff
Old     (m_r_d)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-30-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
I run about 1000# and 4 -6 people most of the time.

Have been thinking about the upgrade to an Acme 542. For the guys that have done this what difference has it made to your fuel economy? and are there any other good/ bad side effects?

Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-01-2006, 12:18 AM Reply   
improved the millage alot for me. never have to floor it.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
Never worried about feul economy but It sure made it easier to hold speed and get out of the hole