Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-05-2005, 12:00 AM Reply   
I am the proud owner of a new 02 Cal Air Pro V I picked up a few weeks ago. I was wondering when other boat owners who have to winterize usually dewinterize? I live in Southern Oregon, so I was thinking late March early April? I am just afraid if I do it to early and we have a late freeze I could be in big trouble.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-05-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
If you go by average temps, early March, If you go by record temps, beginning of April. Even if you get record lows, a couple days in the upper twenties will not create a hard freeze. But only do what makes you comfortable.

http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/boatandbeach/weather/climo-dly.html?locid=USOR0215&climoMonth=4
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-05-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Another thing you can do if you dewinterize early is just keep some sort of heat lamp in the engine compartment when it drops below freezing. My friend's dad has a sensor that kicks in when the temp hits 32 degrees and turns on the heat lamp - he's been doing this for a few years and hasn't had any problems yet.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-05-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Spotts, I was thinking about doing that also. I would just put 2 heaters on either side of the compartments I guess if I thought it was going to get cold enough that night.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-05-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
you could go to schucks and put a block heater on it for about $15. I leave mine hooked up even when running the boat. If the forecast calls for freezing temps I plug it in....congrats on the calabria purchase. I just bought one too! same year too...thanks Laci. I live in tacoma wa.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       02-05-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Daniel - I don't remember any hard freezes in Medford after March. If you want to take it out, just drain the block when you get back - it only takes a few minutes.

You must be getting the itch after that 65 degree day last week. Hint - the water is still way too cold.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-05-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
drysuits neo gloves and hoods usually take the bite out of the water. we hit it this mornin around 9....a little windy but hey we were the only ones on the lake boardin.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-05-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
John, I remember reading Laci's ad for that boat. Even talked to her on the phone. How do you like Yours? What is the wake like with the ballast full? I just bought some really kewl Tower Speakers From Wakeproducts. putting in a couple Subs and amps to power them. I cant wait to get out there. By the way, I am probabbly the least mechanical guy on the planet, so if I go to Shucks and tell them I want a block heater, they will know exactly what Im talking about right? And does it fit in the engine compartment or something? It must be pretty small.

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-05-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Oh dude I love it! Right now I'm running the stock ballast and a 540# sac between the driver and spotter seat. Still learning how to drive it when going slow to trailer it but I have all summer. (had an I/O) I think for right now I'm just going to install an amp I have in the shop and power the four speakers in the boat and just add a bazooka tube behind the drivers seat. Cant afford much more at this point....
There are two different types of block heater. There's one that goes in one of your freeze plug holes in your block or the one that is magnetic. I bought the magnetic. It is small and thats good cause where I put mine, the space is tight. I took the panel inside the v drive compartment off and stuck it to the bottom of the block just above the oil pan. Then put the panel back on and just let the cord hang out. Sweet boat though...massive rooooom!!