Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have read the forums for a few months but have never posted. Try not to tear the newbie apart.

I am a wakeboarding novice but am ready to buy a boat. I have searched around and have decided to go with a used/custom boat over a new/stock option. I honestly don't know much about boats but this seemed like a decent deal.

What do you think about a 1993 VIP Wakeboard Boat (pics attached):
  • 4.3L Mercruiser inboard outboard
  • that was in storage from 1996-2006
  • Custom paint job
  • New leather seats
  • Never any serious work done - just standard maintenance
  • 4 LOUD Eclipse Marine Tower Speakers
  • 12" kicker solobaric sub
  • 2- 1200 watt amps
  • Big Air Wakeboard Tower

$10k

Am I way off base or is this a decent option?
Attached Images

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
That is an Inboard/Outboard, not an inboard.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
It looks like an I/O to me too, which means NOT GOOD for wakeboarding - the wake just isn't like a true inboard
you will not be able to surf behind it - least not with keeping all of you limbs.... it looks nice but anyone can dress up a turd

10k would go to a nice:
Malibu Sunsetter
Sport Nautique
MC 205
Tige 2200

add another 5k to your budget and get a real v-drive
Look for
Nautique Supersport
MC 205v
Sanger v210
Sunsetter VLX
tige 21v/2200v
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
It looks like an I/O to me too, which means NOT GOOD for wakeboarding - the wake just isn't like a true inboard
you will not be able to surf behind it - least not with keeping all of you limbs.... it looks nice but anyone can dress up a turd

10k would go to a nice:
Malibu Sunsetter
Sport Nautique
MC 205
Tige 2200

add another 5k to your budget and get a real v-drive
Look for
Nautique Supersport
MC 205v
Sanger v210
Sunsetter VLX
tige 21v/2200v
Thanks man - that helps a lot. I am going to continue searching and see if I can find one of the models that you mentioned.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
That is an Inboard/Outboard, not an inboard.
Yeah - my bad. Given that it's an I/O - and the information listed above - would it be a decent option for a beginner?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Matt, is 10k your maximum budget? What is your main objective with the boat? Do you want something that is better for hanging out and can fit more people or a pure wake boat? Do you want a boat that looks cool because of tower speakers and a wrap or one that functions better?
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Matt, is 10k your maximum budget? What is your main objective with the boat? Do you want something that is better for hanging out and can fit more people or a pure wake boat? Do you want a boat that looks cool because of tower speakers and a wrap or one that functions better?
I would suggest that my priorities are:

65% wakeboarding
25% hanging out
10% looks cool

I could probably up it to $12K if needed - functionality is obviously really important but I also don't want to drop $12k on something that I'm embarrassed to take out!

Last edited by utb; 03-10-2010 at 9:48 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I should of asked this in my last post but how many riders are in your crew or how many people normally come out with you? Is it going to be used as a family boat at all? Does your lake/river get really rough from wind and large boats so that you would need something with more freeboard? Do you have any limitations as far as length of the boat or towing capacity on your tow rig?

Nicks suggestions are all good boats to keep an eye out for.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I should of asked this in my last post but how many riders are in your crew or how many people normally come out with you? Is it going to be used as a family boat at all? Does your lake/river get really rough from wind and large boats so that you would need something with more freeboard? Do you have any limitations as far as length of the boat or towing capacity on your tow rig?

Nicks suggestions are all good boats to keep an eye out for.
Probably will have a consistent group of 4-5 in the crew. It will rarely be used as a family boat but there will probably be times when girls just want to go hang out on the lake. The lake doesn't typically get too rough...will be keeping it on the water so towing limitations should be minimal.

Thanks again!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-10-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm just assuming that's about a 19' Valiant from '93. NADA is only showing that boat worth about $2800 even with a tower. Might now be a bad beginner boat, but though I don't do a lot of low end I/O shopping, you could probably get a new Bayliner for not much more.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
I think most of us probably started with an i/o and ended up moving to a true inboard. I am sure we did it cause we either did not know better or that is what our budget allowed. It is not a bad way to start for sure, but if your objectives are really that high, you might save up a bit more and get the right boat first. Not a bad move though. You also could get a lot more I/O for that kind of money unless you just want it to look pimp. I bought my first I/O (98 Four Winns with 30 hours and a V8) for that kind of money and that was some time ago. That guy has just put a lot of money into paint/wrap and an interior. You have to decide if that is really that important to you, and it does not sound like it. Besides it just kind of looks like they are trying to disguise the boat as a wake boat.

Either way not a bad choice to go I/O, but don't get pressured into making a decision. Find some local people on the board that are knowledgeable about both types of boats and try to go out and see the differences yourself.
Good luck to you....
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Either way not a bad choice to go I/O, but don't get pressured into making a decision. Find some local people on the board that are knowledgeable about both types of boats and try to go out and see the differences yourself.
Good luck to you....
Thanks Tyler.

If you had $10k-$12k to spend on your first wakeboarding boat, would you go straight inboard or would I/O suffice for a few years? Or do you think it would be better to just go for the best inboard I can get, even if that means sacrificing "dock appeal?"
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/1632840611.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1618200438.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1623746936.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1619149793.html

Just some options. Some are a few thousand more than you said but may be able to be talked down. The hydrodyne will make a good wake as Nick can attest to but will be smaller. It will fit 6 people but will not be super comfortable. On the other hand it will drive great and burn little fuel.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-12-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
found this one in denver don't know if this is to far for ya.http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1639148318.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake26 View Post
found this one in denver don't know if this is to far for ya.http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1639148318.html
Wow, that is a great deal if the boat is all redone and in good shape. Huge freeboard, lots of room for a direct drive, great wake making ability all around it is a great boat. Again, just check the stringers and floor.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-12-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
agreed. i would be all over that.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yeah that Supra looks pretty good and I'm sure you could talk them down. I know there was a supra like that up here in Washington that was all re done the guy was selling it for 12k and he ended up taking 9k for it, that was like a week or 2 ago. People are super negotable these days.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
The older Sunsports like that one in Denver are great boats. They feel a lot bigger with a lot more storage/hidden ballast space than any other direct drive I have seen and I think they went to all fiberglass in 92 but dont quote me on that. Just for a point of reference I sold my 1990 SunSport 2 years ago for $9500 which was more than I paid for it 2 years before that. I now have a 97 SunSport and I love that boat. With that said I still shop around for deals on V-drives...My wife tells me I have a problem. :P
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx_wake View Post
The older Sunsports like that one in Denver are great boats. They feel a lot bigger with a lot more storage/hidden ballast space than any other direct drive I have seen and I think they went to all fiberglass in 92 but dont quote me on that. Just for a point of reference I sold my 1990 SunSport 2 years ago for $9500 which was more than I paid for it 2 years before that. I now have a 97 SunSport and I love that boat. With that said I still shop around for deals on V-drives...My wife tells me I have a problem. :P
I'm on the trail!