Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
So I've seen posts on here before about wakeboarding on Kauai. I just got a new job on Kauai (in Kapaa) I will be moving in early July. I'm pretty stoked to get a chance to ride there. Can anybody hook me up with some pulls or let me know who to get a hold of? Thanks.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
wow, i was there in 04, beautiful place, but anyway, i read in wakeboard mag to check out hawaiiwatersportscenter.com i think they're in kauai. congrats on the new gig
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
I checked out the link, they our based out of honululu. I'll be on a different island. I know people wakeboard over there, I just don't know hw to get a hold of them.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-11-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the riding is done in the Wailua river.

Aaron, what kind of job is it you're going to? I used to live on Kauai and you better take your golf clubs too.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2007, 11:52 PM Reply   
DTW... what is the most affordable, but really good, golf course on kauai?
Old    catfishh            06-12-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
my friend is stationed over there in the Coast Guard and he is from orlando..big wakeboarder, but he says the scene is non-existant! everyone just surfs or kiteboards instead. The only time he gets any pulls is when he comes back to florida, and he has been over there for three years now!
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
The guys name is Kenny that gives pulls. I think his shop is Kauai ski and surf. Everyone should ride the Wailua one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Joshua....by far the most affordable should be the little muni right there in Kapaa....it is called Wailua Golf Course. It is extremely affordable and one of the best public muni golf courses ever. Holes right along the beach.....it is awesome. Give it a go....I wish I could play there right now.

There are plenty of world famous type golf courses there that will undoubtedly cost quite a bit more. Wailua, I believe, is still less than $50 weekend & holiday and that includes cart.....you won't be disappointed.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-12-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Correct, Kenny would be the person to contact. You will be riding behind a Malibu on brackish water.

Also, wait till you get your Hawaii driver's license before you start paying for golf over there (Kama'Aina rates).
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Yes to what Keith said about Hawaii driver license. Get one as soon as you can.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-12-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Jeff H, are you referring to Camillo? If so, Camillo is a good friend and I hooked him up with riding once he moved out here. He's actually the wakeboard Chairman of the Oahu Waterski Club now and rides a lot. The scene is far from "non-existent".
The only islands to wakeboard on is Oahu & Kauai. Brad, Keith & dtw gave you good info.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-12-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Hijack start: Ryan, Camillo just came out to visit us. He got a good idea of CROWEDED lakes in the mainland.

Hijack end~
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-12-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Kenny's the only place to ride in Lahue. But it's worth it!

Upload
Upload
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-12-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
How much does Kenny charge to ride there?
Old     (jasa_rhone)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-12-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
I rode on the Wailua last year, if I remember right he charged $60 for 30 minutes of riding... worth every penny. Kenny doesn't weight down his Malibu out of respect for all of the kayaker's on the river, but it still put out a decent wake. He had two or three different LF boards to chose from when I was there.

I got in two quick sets and my wife got in one as he let us ride over the time limit by 10-15 minutes.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
Another option would be to get/build a winch and hit the many many secluded beaches there.....
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-12-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Hijack start: Keith, Camillo told me all about it when we were discussing issues with OWSC, new bylaws, etc. I told him most of the club members don't have any clue on what they have at Keehi.

Hijack end!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-12-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
If you have a boat, can you just drop into the river and ride?
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-12-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone, I will definitely try to hook up with Kenny when I get out there. I was hoping to find some people that go regularly, since I will be living there, not just visiting. I also plan to try my hand at surfing, and it sounds like I might have to take up golf too.

dtw: I will be working at Kapaa Middle School as a teacher/technology coordinator.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Aloha,

Kenny's number is 822-3574 - Kauai Waterski & Surf Co
He just got a new v-drive malibu