Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
I ride with two other guys - all three of us own boats. Anyway, when I am picking up a rider (done with his/her set), I go to neutral far enough away to slowly glide to the rider to they can grab onto the swim platform and hop aboard. Alternatively, I sometimes swing the back end around to swing the platform to the rider (again hitting neutral well before reaching the rider). Both of the guys I ride with approach the rider at idle speed and then quickly pop the boat in reverse to come to a dead stop at the rider in the water. I don't agree with their method cause the prop is spinning in reverse really close to the rider (one guy in my group has it in reverse and I can reach out and touch the side of the boat). Secondly, I feel it puts strain on the trans - esp going from a quick idle directly into reverse. I haven't said anything to either one yet - wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!!
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
I don't get close to anyone, but I have to put it in reverse for a second just to try and stop the boat. I usually stop next to people though and make them swim a few feet at least. I never have my boat running or in gear with people around the swim platform. I would ask the other guys to not run the boat around you if you don't feel comfortable. Explain it to them like you did here and they shouldn't have a problem. If someone asked me to change something that made them feel uncomfortable, I wouldn't have a problem.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-26-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I always hit reverse, but the prop is well away from the rider. Most of the time I will swing the back of the boat towards rider.

(when I say "hit reverse" it only means that I engage reverse until forward motion is stopped)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
I hit reverse when I'm approaching the rider to slow down & scoot the swimstep closer to them. Maybe it's unsafe for the rider or the trans. But I've never had an issue in over 20 yrs of riding with multiple boats. I try to be very aware of where they are located & kick it into neutral when I feel like I'm close to them.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
I approach the the rider slowly, taking it out of gear well before reaching him (always on the drivers side), and then when the rider is about even with the helm, tap reverse to help stop the boat from drifting past, and SHUT IT OFF. The rider can then swim to the step from the side of the boat.

Safety first when anyone is in the water near the boat!

Even with inboards, I've heard of tragic accidents that have happened leaving the engine running.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
I do a combination of all of the above

turn wheel left, neutral, drift, reverse, shut off engine

the swim platform will wind up (drift) right beside the rider

no swimming

seeing it from the water, newbes think that I am going to make them swim several yards

I don't want people hurt or board marks on the side of my boat

(Message edited by ord27 on September 26, 2009)
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-26-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
whenever im down and getting in the boat my dad just gets the boat close to me and even if its still moving shuts the boat off. the boat is going slow enough that i can just grab the platform and drag. if i dont get the platform the ropes are still out and i can grab that and pull myself to the boat. id rather do that than have the prop spinning anywhere near me
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-26-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
When I pick up a rider I approach at idle, hit neutral when close and when alongside briefly tap reverse to stop. This is how I prefer to be picked up as well, to avoid swimming more than a couple feet tops.

My one friend drives in and kills motor when coming up on me. Doesn't understand either tap reverse to stop or hit neutral before getting that close. I get one shot to grab swim platform or pull myself in on the rope.

So long as driver approaches with you on their side and is aware of where you are I see no problem with hitting reverse to come to a dead stop. As for the trans... I wouldnt' sweat it. They take much greater force pulling someone up than a reverse tap at idle speeds. I also use reverse almost every time I dock. I launch where tidal currents are usually strong so no choice but to come in quick and precisely. If not you'll never get to the dock if the current is really strong.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I did not mean to imply that the rider has to swim any distance, but basically, if done correctly, by the time the boat comes to a stop the swim step is right at their side.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
I see no problem using reverse around a rider in an inboard, I do similar to cliff that i spin the boat and stop it so that the swim platform is at arms length to the rider. I have gotten really good that they do not have to swim an inch.

With that said, if you are driving then do what you know to be safe and what makes u feel comfortable, and when u are the rider, just request the driver do the same for you.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2009, 10:33 PM Reply   
I always get to the rider and reverse to stop the boat near them, it's not unsafe for the rider or the transmission. In fact, it usually bothers me when people don't seem to be able to utilize reverse well in a boat. It's the only brakes you've got and if you're driving my boat I like it when you can demonstrate you can stop the boat on a dime when you need to.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2009, 3:46 AM Reply   
Idle up to downed rider with rider on drivers side of boat as to never lose site of rider. Hit neutral right before i pass rider ,tap reverse when rider is at back of boat this stops the boat and pulls platform right over to the rider.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-27-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
USA Wakeboard and WWA both use www.idirve.com which is a online driving course to certify tournament drivers written by Shannon. There are not specific answers to you question but if the rider can touch the boat the engine needs to go off.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
agreed gangstar
one of the first things about boat driving that I taught my wife, was to parallel park the 'Bu.

I am currently trying to teach my daughter the same skill

it's not only import to know the rules of the waterway, you have to know how your craft steers and drifts

a skill that many jet skiers don't seem to understand!
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
You dont need to use reverse if you put it in neutral far enough away, then when you get close just turn left to swing the swimstep over. If I mess up and dont time it right or get some waves I may have to use reverse about 1/20 times. I can see how using reverse can get to be a habit if you aren't thinking about it.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-27-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
"You dont need to use reverse if you put it in neutral far enough away,"

"I can see how using reverse can get to be a habit if you aren't thinking about it."

Those are the two funniest lines of this whole thread!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-28-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Completely agree with gangstar's statement. Knowing how to use reverse properly is essential.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-28-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
i use the gangstar method too. just make sure to hit neutral between forward and reverse...give the prop shaft a second to stop spinning before you reverse rotation...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-29-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
To me it is situational which depends on a lot of other factors such as: other boat traffic in area, wind, rider ability or comfort in the water, how close rider is to bank or other obstacles, whether they have their board off or not, if there are other distractions in boat..... Sometimes having a tiny bit of momentum or directional drift after picking up rider is good, sometimes not.

I do use the reverse tap method, the reverse swing method, and will also use the neutral drift method. All 3 have there places.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-06-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I usually get near the rider with the rope. Turn the boat off tell him to grab the rope and I pull them into the swim step. Usually whomever is down is tired so its nice to have someone get you that close. If the rope is not near them I usually just flip it to them. Not a big deal getting out of my seat.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-06-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
same as Tampa. get close, kill it, they pop their board off, grab the rope and spotter pulls them to the step if need be and grabs their board.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
It really depends on where you ride as well. On a big open lake without much current you can take your time a lot more in getting to your rider. If you ride in a river or something with a current you dont get the luxury of going into neutral at a distance.

I use Ganstar's method as well. I usually start my left hand turn while in drive and use reverse to finish it off. With Nauti's its a little different due to the prop rotation.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-06-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I bump reverse. Have been doing for a long time. My tranny is fine and so are my riders.
Old    supraguy            10-06-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
I agree with Nacho. We ride long set and what if a ridder is hurt make them swim sick I love swimming after a head knock.... Learn to drive your boat !!!