Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2008, 11:58 PM Reply   
Hey Guys and Gals,

We picked up an 08 VLX, we are done for the season... What do we need to do to the boat? At the dealer, it said something about winterize your boat or something of that nature..

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance...
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2008, 1:08 AM Reply   
You need to get all of the water out of the engine to prevent it from freezing and cracking the block. There is another thread on here with more details.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2008, 4:35 AM Reply   
I noticed your in NORCAL from your profile. Will you be storing the boat indoors? I'm in Folsom and keep my boat in the garage therefore I dont winterize my boat. Usually you dont get long hours of below freezing temps in Manteca, but if storing outdoors better to be safe than sorry!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Probably a good idea to just bring the boat back to the dealer to have it winterized. There is more to it than just draining the engine. If your not running it for 4 or 5 months, then you will want the cylinders fogged too. Plus all the water drained from all the other systems too.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Other systems, like the heater core Bill? ;)

JT
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
I don't think fogging the cylinders is necessary for a 4-6 month lay-up never done and never had a problem.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Your best option here is to go buy a drysuit and just keep ridin all year!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
JT (peachman) :-Other systems, like the heater core Bill? ;)

JT

Yea, systems like that.

Two nights ago I installed a pair of radiator Flush Ts in the heater lines down in the bilge. So now all I have to do is reach down between the serpentine belt & the muffler & pull those two caps.... gravity will drain the core in a few seconds. Tonite I'll get that heater back in the boat. And then we ride tomorrow at noon!

Get your butt out here for a ride, JT!

Upload
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-10-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
We store it in doors all year long and the boat just had it's 20hr service done to it... The boat only has 19 hours. I know, I don't ride as much as a should, but its been a busy summer...
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
If your storing indoors I wouldnt worry about it. I've never done it and havent had any problems.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hey Shawn how cold does your water get? We were dry suiting last year in 42 degree water. We were just surfing so crashes weren't a worry and we could reach the riders feet with the hot shower. Good times!
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
We were ridin all winter and water temp was about 49 at its lowest and air temp around 42. Definately good times!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-10-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I'm with Shawn, take that beast out at least once a month and stay in wake shape. Drysuit and a thermos of cocoa/Bailey's and you are golden.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
And don't forget a cooler full of hot, hot water... We throw all our gloves, booties, etc... in the cooler so you have warm stuff to put on before you ride, then stand in the cooler to warm the feet/hands after a run.

Oh and Big Heavy's cocoa/Bailey's suggest is golden! ;)

JT
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-10-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Put some Stabil in your gas tank.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Bill, I did something similar. I put those quick disconnect hoses on my heater lines. This allows me to simply "unplug" to drain the lines. It also allows me to bypass the core if it springs a leak. (I installed each line in opposite directions allowing me to connect the male outlet to the female inlet bypassing the heater core all together)... if it goes.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey Liquidmx,
I think I saw a sticky on the Crew site about how to install the quick disconnects. I looked at doing it in this location (under the engine) but didn't think I could connect/reconnect them very easily..... ie; one handed. I have used the flush Ts on an old boat, had pretty good luck with it & figured I could screw a cap on or off one handed pretty easily.

Someone brought it to my attention that gravity may or may not be enough to get all the water out of the core though. So I've thought about installing a third one up by the core, under the dash. Then I could blow air or anti-freeze thru it easily. I like the idea of using quick disconnects under there & being able to bypass the core. So do those quick disconnects leak at all? My core is sitting right next to my subwoofer, that I don't want getting wet.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-10-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
i have never winterized and i keep my boat at orwood indoor storage. in brentwood. like said above. keep her in the garage and take her for a spin once a month or 2 and you will be more than fine. if you have absolutly no desire to use it until next summer then fine maybe drain the block, look in owners manual, d.c. the batteries and put a fuel stableizer in it.