Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-18-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
These will take 400w RMS each. They have a 3ohm load. I don't want to break the bank either. Any ideas on amps?
Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-18-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-18-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I would try to find something of the 4 channel variety. Bridge it down to 2 channels and get the power you need. I have run those speakers with a Tru 200 watt amp and they were awesome.

I found the amp linked below at crutchfield.com. You will be able to find something like this pretty much everywhere. I would say look to get between 300 to 350 watts per pod. It will be tough to get more power on a budget.

Alpine MRP-F600
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-19-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
Good morning guys!

I want to jump in here and share my thoughts.
So you know, I am on a crusade of sorts, and my crusade is a NO BRIDGING crusade...

I have lurked on this board, on other boating boards, on car stereo enthusiast boards... Way too many times I have read recommendations that someone go and buy a 4-channel amplifier only to then immediately turn around and bridge it to drive a pair of speakers. There are tons of great 2-channel amplifiers out there. There are tons of 2-channel amplifiers that will deliver the kind of power that these speakers are asking for.
I have a hard time understanding the logic that makes people go and buy a 4-channel amp when they are shopping for an amp to drive a pair of speakers.

Sometimes we have stuff lying around, and I know that the finance department, (AKA Mr. Wallet) usually likes it better when we use what we have rather than going and buying new. Sometimes that means using an amp in bridge mode. In this instance though, Brian you are looking to purchase a new amp, right? If you have two speakers, get a 2-channel amp!

Okay, I am stepping off of the soap box now... In this particular instance there is a pretty legitimate reason for trying to find a suitable 2-channel amplifier.

It has to do with properly loading the amp; i.e. getting the impedance correct. Brian, you share that these speakers have a 3-ohm impedance. That sort of load is pretty nice on a 2-channel amplifier, especially one that is rated down to a 2-ohm stability. When connected, the amp will deliver more power than if it were driving a 4-ohm load, yet will run cooler and more reliably than if it were connected to a 2-ohm load.

If we use a 4-channel amplifier in bridge mode, each individual amp channel sees half of the speakers impedance. In this instance, the 4-channel amplifier will "see" a 1.5-ohm load on each amplifier channel. This is a hard load to drive, as most amps are not rated for less than a 2-ohm load per channel. This odd impedance issue, (3-ohms) shows up in other speakers, including our Kicker KMT6. It is not a bad thing, just something we all need to be aware of.

If I made a recommendation for a 2-channel Kicker amplifier for your Skylon speakers I would recommend the ZX850.2. It is a 2-channel amplifier will deliver somewhere around 350 watts into each pod. You may choose to try to find a deal on that Kicker amp, or you may decide that you have a better deal on something else. Regardless, shy away from the bridged 4-channel amp no matter the brand. In this instance it is not a good solution.

Sorry Spencer, I really do not want to step on your toes, please don't take it that way!

Have a great day everyone!

Phil
Kicker

(Message edited by philwsailz on March 19, 2009)

(Message edited by philwsailz on March 19, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-19-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Boston Acoustic GT-28 would be a good choice too. At 3 ohm's it should be right at 350 watts. GT-28
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-19-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
I agree with Phil. For the vast majority of amplifiers, a 3-ohm load is too low for a bridged application.

There is a big difference between the DC resistance as measured by a multimeter and the AC impedance. If the measured DCR is 3-ohms then it would be safe to consider this a 4-ohm load in respect to its nominal impedance. Check it out.

David E.M.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-19-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hey David,

I was checking out your new site, www.earmarkmarine.com . You guys do some amazing installs.
Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-19-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Phil,
I have done some digging around, and started to move toward a 2 channel amp. All of the 4 channel amps are rated at 4 ohms once the 4 channels go to 2 it is not stable. Nothing except for Rockford Fosgate is stable at 2 ohms bridged(4 channel to 2),from what I have found. I like the Kicker specs, and I think that is the best power I can get in a 2 channel application.
I do agree and I thank everyone for the great info.