Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Looking to get my dad his own board for christmas. I got him to start riding this year and he likes it a lot so I think it's time to get him his own set up. Right now he rides my 07 faction 144, and I'm thinking I want to get him something a little grippier and super easy to ride. He won't really push to progress so I just want to get him something he can have fun jumping and carving around with. I'm gonna go with 08 stuff to get a better price, no need to spend extra for brand new 09. What do you think I should look at for him? Thanks a bunch.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
I would say go for a flex board.
the only non-'09 boards available would be slingshot's boards, obrien local and r5, LF press, hyperlite roam, ronix covenant.

Although these boards are a step away from "grippier" but that is part of the reason that makes them SO FUN to just carve and jump around. the flex these boards have add to the fun too. they are easier to do manuals and all sorts of other surface maneuvers, and they are nice and soft too.

flex boards for '09 include: Company wake, and humanoid wake
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
the 08s are definitely still avaliable, i just got a new 08 setup last week.
i recommend a ronix covin, it is super smooth and easy to ride, and if he does want to learn to jump the wakes the pop is smooth and predictable and landings are soft.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-01-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
What is his level? Is he w2w yet? And what size were you looking for?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
Good call Dan, your dad will be stoked. I would suggest something forgiving like the Hype Motive, time proven shape and easy to ride and progress on. Plus the price will be pretty reasonable for that board in an 08.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-02-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
I would recommend an 08 Transcend. The board is tight, with fins, and a lot of fun.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-02-2008, 6:09 AM Reply   
I would recommend anything with a continuous rocker (or at least a hybrid). I would avoid the true 3-stage as they seem to 'drag' a little more in the water, making it harder to just ride around and carve (IMO). Anyway, if it were me buying for my pops, that's what I'd be shopping for. Keep an eye on boardersbestbuy.com and anothersmokindeal.com as I've seen some great buys in the past few weeks.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-02-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Sounds like he is a beginner if he just started this year right? A board like the Hyperlite State board would help him progress the fastest. It has a toe edge that is designed to be easier to initiate than the heal edge, and a larger toe side molded fin. And as most wakeboarders have figured out, this is the hard edge to use while learning. It also has an subtle 3 stage rocker, to give pop without be too much. Two 1.1" A-wing fins to remove as you progress. All of this together will help you dad progress the fastest possible and really get him confident on the water so he can go out and tear it up. You should be able to find a shop that will have some good deals and really help you out with more info. Let me know where you are from and I will find you a shop in your area. If you have any questions let me know.

Corey @ Hyperlite
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-04-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Ya he's a begginer, just starting to try jumping at all. I figure his board size will be in the 142-144 range, since he's been riding my 144 fine and it's a little big on me. Thanks for all the ideas and tips this will help me figure it out, he's gonna be pretty pumped I bet.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-04-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
The Motive is a great first board. As Randy said, a time proven shape that works for beginners up to experts. The State would also be a good choice. You can find great deals on packages right now.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-04-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
What fins are you using on the Faction? If you are using the ones that come with it, you are looking at about as grippy a board as you can find. The rail channels also contribute to to grip of the board. I was reading your post thinking to myself "well I'd recommend the Faction, as smooth as they come".
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-04-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
Ya it has the original fins on it. I always thought that board was real locked down too. I asked for something grippier though just because it seemingly breaks loose on him totally and I never remembered that happening to me quite that easily and often while I was first learning. lol that might be just him though.

What about binding ideas, should I go for a setup or seperate board and bindings, he's only used my factions and I just want to get him something easy and comfy, so I'm open to whatever would work.

I'm planning on going down to the shop to look at this stuff when I have time, I'm just looking for any ideas to go to the shop with and to get a headstart on putting money together.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-04-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
If he's breaking the board loose with the stock fins its because he's trying to turn the board without using his edges.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-04-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Yeah that's what I tell him, he's an old waterskiier those ingrained habits are just tough to break. Love the resulting faceplants though!