Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    murphy8166            01-27-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
My question is: I am aware of the line voltage weakness from my ipod going to my Aux inpt of my head unit. I want my ipod to be as loud as when I play a cd. I have read that a "Matrix line driver will possibly help my get that sound I am looking for. If so...Does the line driver go between my head unit and amplifiers... if so how does this boost my signal from the ipod. Or do I need something between my ipod and my radio that will boost the signal or will I fry the radio in doing so.

Here is my stereo.

MB Quart Marine Head Unit (w/ aux inpt for ipod)
4 JL Audio XR 650 CXI
4 JL Audio VR 690 CXI
1 JL Audio 12W6V2
PPI 4125 for mids and highs
PPI 1250 for subwoofer
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
A line driver go's between your head unit and your amp's . I take it your not running a EQ if so it would go head unit then line driver then amp's.

FYI You wat to run your I-pod's Volume about 90% of max the Last 10% of the Ipod's volume is crap.

BTW do you know waht the RCA voltage output of your MB quart Head unit is???
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-27-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Grant- would that be the same for a new 211Team stereo with the RCA jacks or scan I just plug and play with them?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Your I-pod plug's into your Head Unit. So after your I-pod's pluged into the head unit the signal is only as good or strong as your head unit's line voltage. If your head unit is throwing 7-10 volts your good to go no Line driver needed
Old    murphy8166            01-27-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
MB Quart says that it has 3 pair of 5v preouts...Would a line driver make much of a difference...

Grant, I am also looking to get 2 pair of the JL Audio XR 650 CXI's shipped to dallas TX. How much can you sell two pair for. If you can't post it publicly you can email me at Murphy_Smith@comcast.net
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
"If your head unit is throwing 7-10 volts your good to go"

Clarion XMD-3 throw's 2 volts and its a week as hell signal so IMO 5 volts is just as bad.
Old    deltahoosier            01-27-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
I would not put a line driver between you head unit and the amp in this case. Your goal is to up the IPOD volume, not the volume of the rest of the system.

This is why I put the Alpine deck in my car for this reason. I bought the IPOD adapter box and I just put the IPOD in the glove box and control it from the stereo. It also charges the IPOD as well. It plugs into the bottom of the IPOD, like the computer does. It is kind of cool that it also diplays Alpine on the IPOD as well. One thing you want to do though is to make a playlist or it can take a while to find songs, unless you like random.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
ipod's are way cool and everything, but i found last season that i got tired of messing with mine. especially since you can get like 6-10 full albums on an mp3 data disc.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Anybody know what the line voltage is on the CMD4...and can anybody recommend a line driver or features to look for?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
How are you interfacing the iPod to your aux-in? Are you using a dock-type connector or the headphone jack? If you are using the headphone jack I would strongly suggest something like Peripheral's PXOD (http://cgi.ebay.com/PERIPHERAL-PXOD-ipod-Aux-Interface-Charge-ipod-too_W0QQitemZ5840382604QQcategoryZ58350QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). The headphone jack really suxx as an output source, I've heard the it can start to distort past 75% volume.

The aux-in on that deck has adjustable sensitivity (as far as I can tell). Have you tried adjusting it?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Mike, I'm pretty sure all clarion marine stuff is standard 1.5V.

Here is a little page on Pre-out voltage.
http://www.bcae1.com/preoutv.htm
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
I'm using a Monster Cables plug that plugs into the bottem jack(it also charges it). I do adjust the sensitivity on the head unit and it does may a big difference, I just wonder what else I might be missing. I bought the Clarion adapter so that I can use the transom remote for more than just volume adjustments, but I have'nt installed it yet because I love the versatlity of using the IPOD itself(not having to use the head unit as a "CD changer". Would that adapter bump up the voltage at all?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Mike t, my comments/questions about the interface and aux-in sensitivity were directed at the original poster (Murphy). His problem w/the difference in sound level (iPod vs CD) is most likely a problem with the connection between the iPod and the HU or with a setting w/in the iPod. I don't think a line driver is going to help him any.

Why do you think you need a line driver?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Ryan you are correct He did ask about rasing the I pod's Volume it self. There is a down load that is called "I-POD UP" Im pretty sure you can find it on ipodlounge.com I haven't used it but its suposed to raise the Ipod's volume.

Rod: Does your Alpine allow you to scroll threw your I pod's song list. I had a chance to play with a friends Alpine headunit. As soon as I pluged my I pod into the head unit the I pod became useless. a Alpine logo poped up on the screen of the I pod and all the buttons and fuctions would not work. You had to control the I pod threw the head unit. The head unit had very little control and you had now way of seeing the play list's of your I pod. It was like turning your normal I pod into a shuffle. I hated it and could not believe this was alpine's answer to hooking up a I pod.
Old    deltahoosier            01-30-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
It is a bit long to go through your songs with the deck. That is why you need to create a playlist. To me it is almost useless with 30 Gigs of music. Matter of fact the Ipod without a playlist is almost useless because of too many choices. I think to get the best out of it, you have to really use your IPOD and have things rated and dialed in for playlists.

On your question, you can get into a folder and pick different playlists. I can also scroll through lists based on artist, album and all the good stuff. Only thing that sucks is you have to view it one line at a time and I have some content that is not labeled well, so it can be difficult.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-30-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
My experience so far suggests that there are trade offs in using or not using an iPod controlling head unit.
Firstly, downloading the "I-POD UP" is a decent solution for uping the output level on the headphone line, but will drain your battery quicker. Then you have the issue of the last 10% of less then good volume from the iPod that often seems to get messed with.
Which leads to the issue of the battery. You have to use the charger unless using a controlling head unit which will keep the iPod charged while in use.
I agree with the issue of only seeing a single line of text on the head unit from the iPod but most of them at least scroll. Controls on the head unit are a bit awkward but and a little less intuitive then the iPod itself, but again, trade-offs.
I agree with Rod, playlists are a near must in any situ IMO.
For me, I like the iPod in a protected location controlled by the HU.

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
So Duane you have "I-pod Up" on your Ipod? If so how much more volume did it give you?

FYI my battery on my 30 g took a crap and I changed it my self in about 10 Min. My brother bought the battery on-line for $29. Now I have like 12-15 hrs play time and the problems that I used to have with the Ipod shutting down and freeking out are all gone.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-30-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
I would go with the Harman Kardon ipod control.http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default2.aspx. It can be hard wired also you can put your ipod out of the way in the glove box. I has screen that reads just like the ipod. I took the screen and put it in a guage in the dash. I will post some pics when I get home.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-30-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Grant,
I don't have it on my 30G photo but a fellow that was on my boat did. In terms of volume increase, I'd say simillar to the last 10% on a volume dial.
An extra batt is cool to eliminate the extra cable that the charger requires. Before going Direct, my iPod batt seemed to only last about 5-7 hours. I don't think anyone would argue that the iPod control is easier as compared to the HU control...at least with the units currently available.
Again, it's just trade-offs of which is more important to the user. For me it was primarilly the multi points by which volume would get adjusted. Not good IMO.
You could just keep your .45 handy and explain to those on the boat why it's there!