Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    boardinidaho            07-08-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
My problem is after my first hard landing, the Byerly "BOA System" bindings open up for no apparent reason. These binding have a heel-side wire cable. I have tried everything on land to duplicate the problem but to no avail. These are out of warranty but still relatively new bindings that are giving me fits. Any suggestion on what is causing the bindings to open up after a hard landing? Upon tightening them while riding after they initially open, the problem for the most part fades away. Is there any repair or adjustment to be made to alleviate this problem? Thanks.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Not aware of this. I ride 04 Byerly's and never have seen this. Maybe you're not pushing in on the dial all the way? And they are not out of warranty. HL warranty is lifetime. If you're are up to it, take the BOA apart and check everything. Maybe something is worn out and you just need to replace that peice, or something is stuck in the BOA mechanism? Is it one binding, or both or random?
Old    eastcoastjedi            07-09-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Boa's suck IMO. They suck on snowboard gear and apparently they are also starting to suck on wakeboard gear.
If you crank it too hard you can strip it. If you keep it too loose you might come out and can snap the plastic.
Too many things to break IMO.
You can get new housing and cables sent to you direct from BOA (based in Steamboat Springs, google it) for free as they are well aware of the problems.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Huh. Going on a year with ours and we crank em TIGHT and not one problem so far. I think it's a sweet system, far superior to the laces on my previous bindings, (Belmont's). Forget about BOA directly. HL will take care of you.
Old    boardinidaho            07-09-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I also have a pair of heel side lace-up Byerly bindings on another board without any problems. I usually don't get the BOA bindings really TIGHT so during tomorrow's ride I will crank 'em down and see if that helps. Regardless, Hyperlite still makes a damn good product and I will continue to buy their stuff.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
Tight or not they shouldn't be popping open. If it continues you need to find the cause right away.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
yeah read the reviews here at wakeworld for the Byerly bindings, many people will tell you that after a hard landing the wire lock will just magically unlock leaving you with a very loose boot.
Old     (wildcatx2)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
I've had mine for about 2 months now and have had them come open on me at least 3 different times. Then last weekend a buddy was trying them out and when he went to tighten them in the water the knob pulled of in his hand. I AM PISSED.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-10-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but in two years with the new Parks, I haven't had any trouble with the BOA letting go.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY HATED THESE FAD GIMMICKS!!! THEY SUCK!!!! Oh, and by the way, the Parks bindings don't have the boa system.

ANYWAYS, BOA=FAD GIMMICK CRAP=LIQUID FORCE BINDINGS ROCK!!!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
I heard the 2003 BOAs were the one's having the problems. They redesigned the system in 2004 and made some small changes that seemed to have fixed the caps popping off problem. Haven't had any problems with mine.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
You should have gotten a little allen head driver with the bindings. It's best to tighten the center screw through the little hole here and there. This will keep the ratchet engaged and the knob tight. Do it whenever you tighten all your binding screws down.

I don't like my bindings overly tight, so I dig on the Bylerly setup. Have not had all that many problems with the BOA's, but did have the 03' replaced with newer stuff under warrenty, no problems since.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-11-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
All right just to put an end to it, when you put on you're boots on the platform face the boat and hop off. If you face away from the boat and hop of you will most likely catch the knob on the back of the platform thus cuaseing it to loosen it might look and feel ok but it is not. The number one repair I do on any boot is new knobs on byerly boots for this reason.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
UMMMM....JUST GET BINDINGS THAT WORK RIGHT ANYWAYS!!! HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES!!!!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Easy on the caps there buddy. We all know LF bindings are pretty darn comfy, but my 04 BOAs have done the job so far. How about them apples.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
I've been riding the Byerly Boas for about a year now and popping loose has not been a problem. My biggest complaint is that they are very heavy. I had the wraps fail where the wire guides came unstitched. And I've had the wires break and I replaced them. But I also rode them well over a hundred times.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
How about them apples????

I'll tell ya about them. I own 7 HL wakeboard and binding combos between my setups, my wifes and one for the kids. I've never had one failure on any of them. Then, I demoed an LF Substance and loved it so I thought I would try going with LF gear. Ordered up a Substance with Limited Teams (despite a great deal of grief from friends)and two weeks later and serious $$$ later the horror story begins. I'll number it out to keep this relatively short...

1) The Team Bindings (new box, in plastic etc. did not have the FAST system in them so I had to improvise just to mount the bindings.

2) Put the bindings on first time, pull the rear cincher tab and the laces pulls thru two of the guides.

3) Get a replacement set of TEAM's with the FAST system while I wait for Transits. The FAST system fails (head comes off screw) when I go to move the binding position.

4) The LF Substance board is cracking and splintering on one end which suffered no trauma except water and wind.

5) It's going to be a long wait for the XL transits so I give up on it all and...

Now I'm in a set of Byerly's and a Premier. Both are great and wouldn't you know, I've had no problems!

As an aside to this whole thing my local Boardshop (Wakesports Unlimited) have been incredibly understanding and have taken excellent care of me.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
go with the new 2005 cwb zeus bindings, the studs on them a sick looking. And the footbed is really comfy, it takes a few moments to get usto its unique feel/texture, but there very supportive and nice. No problems with them so far.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-11-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
Nate -- you busted me . I have the Temets, not the Parks. Don't know what I was thinking. Good catch.

Point remains - I like the Boa system.