Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-29-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
This is/was a $2.5 million dollar boat (and we thought the wakeboarding boats were getting expensive) being placed into the water for the first time. And the Boat Darwin award goes to...

So far, so good

Upload

Ruh Row

Upload

$2.5 million dollar slider?

Upload
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-29-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Photoshop
Old    walt            08-29-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
That was posted a few months back.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-29-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
loveswater wow, ur out of hiding? havent heard from you in years. Great pics!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Darwin award = someone died doing something stupid (technically before having kids)

Fake or not, a Darwin award this isn't.

-Steve
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Not fake:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/boats/badlaunch.asp

-Steve
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-29-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
my favorite part about those picture is the guy in the back of the boat.... somewhere on the boat is anotehr guy, and you can see him in a different picture.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-29-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Not photoshp..an actual insurance claim.

Steve:
I titled this "Boat Darwin award" and it was meant to be a rather sly and subtle play on the "human" Darwin award. Seeing as this boat was a "virgin" and had not actually been in the water, the boat becomes an analogy for no kids. And, given the fact that the boat is "dead" plays on the obvious. Hence, Boat Darwin award.

Sorry my humor was a bit too subtle for you...I will try to Three Stooges my humor next time
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-29-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Can we say it was a Darwin "Honorable Mention" since the boat died and the guy on the back of the boat pooped in his boxers and the whole crew got fired???????
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
again??!!!wtf?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   

(Message edited by kingskrew on August 29, 2007)
Old    murrayair            08-29-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
I'm surprised they even let the guy stay on the boat while they were lifting it. Seems like a pretty obvious risk to me. Besides, it looks photoshopped to me, too. That website is gonna have to do better than posting an unconfirmed response by a so-called company rep.
Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2007, 4:04 AM Reply   
Get over it. Who cares. Why do some people live to criticize on this site. How many newbies don't post afraid someone is going to blast them because "this has already been posted, see (put in thread). It is possible to read a post, not like it, close it and get on with your life.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2007, 4:34 AM Reply   
True Dat Natalie, it is always about putting someone else down.

It seems to be pretty clearly documented that it is not fake. Several other forums (Yachting, Photography, etc) have analyzed it way more than you can imagine, and the general consensus is "Not Fake".

Sean
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I worked at a marina, this kind of stuff does happen. Marina's have insurance for this type of thing. I haven't seen one fall out of the lift personally, but the guy who owns the marina said it happened once. The fact that the boat is new also might play into the fact that it has a lower coefficient of friction, therefore the straps slid off easier than a boat sitting in water for long periods of time.
Old    akman            08-30-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Well if someone did shop this they did a damn good job....notice the deck covers in the picture. They are falling towards the water as they should and the cabin cover is moving back like it was being forced by the air as the boat traveled downward.

Natalie Sands....WELL PUT!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-30-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Everyone flames everyone because this is the internet and there is no accountability. Most of the people doing the flaming would be bleeding on the street if they acted like that face to face. Here, everyone can be a tough guy!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Old News!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
being sort of a photochop expert, it looks real to me!
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I thought it was due to the background in the first and second pictures but the article said it was from different phases of loading.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
The 1st and 2nd picture aren't different phases of loading ... rather, they are two different vessels. The 1st picture is to show and example of how the vessel was being held before it slipped.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Ahh...I see. Just re-read it. It does appear to be the same shipyard though.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-30-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Louise,

How are you? I haven't seen or heard from you in like four years, maybe a little more. Our house is finally done and the lake is full. If you guys get back to the IL, look us up.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-30-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
You can actually see what looks like a petroleum product floating in the water outside the vessel, the two men are not in that film.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-30-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Shawn

Wait! What is that in your profile picture? You didn't have one of those when we visited you in 2003???

Congratulations on getting the house done...I am sure that the wait and the work was worth it.

If anyone is interested, Shawn's house-in-progress can be found at http://www.solsearch.us/USimages/Wakeboard-Gothic.JPG

We sure did have a great time there. No plans to be back in Illinois this year...but in 2008, who knows!

It is nice to see good things happening to good people.

Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-30-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Louise,

Her name is Shelby and she just turned two. She was a surprise, but we are extremely blessed that she is here. She is definitely a water baby, and a daddy's girl.

The house is a work in progress, I was inspired by Gramps backyard conversion, so we are in the process of putting a paver patio and some retaining walls in. We will be putting a permanent dock in next spring, and some more landscaping around the slip.

If you guys need anything, let us know. Take care and tell Gerson we said hi.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-31-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
last time I saw that pic, I never noticed the guy in the back...
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-31-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
You can see both guys in the back of the boat as it's falling!!! And it's the same 2 guys that are swimming on the last pick with white Tee's and one has a kaki vest.