Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-25-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
Too lazy to do it myself. Anyone know a good company/person who does boat detailing?

Renee
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-25-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
i was wondering if someone knew of a company who does good upholstery work in sac area?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I was sort of wondering this same thing. I live in the Sac area and wouldn't mind forking out a little bit of cash to get my 04 X2 looking brand,brand new again. That first 300 hours was a little rough on her.

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
Holy crap, you put 300 hours on your '04? I thought we were high with 110 on our '04!

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
And we didn't even pick it up until May 26th!

Midway through the summer, I spent an 8 hour day buffing, waxing, shampooing, and scrubbing. The boat still wasn't perfect, and I really don't want to do it again!

Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-26-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Hey Renee nice web site that is too funny man... Let me know if you guys find a place as well. Dam Joe that is some serious water time...
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-26-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
I know a good upholstery place in Yuba City (1 hr N. 99) That is where I got my boat done... Cool Customs. Here is a pic.

my email me if interested.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you guys arent into the waxing thing and can afford it put aircraft sealer on! Its like teflon no need to wax for 5 years! plus your boat will run smoother through the water. I have it on my 2001 Camaro SS and 2005 Chevy Avalanche (they look like they have a wet sheen to them). I only wash the SS 1 every 5-6 weeks in the summer, only use the CA duster and it always looks like it just got washed. If anybody is interested say so and when I get home I will post the info.. Trust me its worth every penny...... He can also treat the interior...

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on January 26, 2005)
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-26-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Renee, I know Loudliquid in sacramento produce boat decals and wraps.. might be of use.
www.loudliquid.com
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-26-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
There's a mobile oil change / tune up guy that I know does the Folsom / EDH area. I'll get his number and you can call him and see if he does detailing too. I'm pretty sure he does winterization, and shrink wrapping, so he might be interested.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
OK I have the information the phone # is 916-423-3848 ask for steve tell him kenny sent you and then just tell him what you want. By the way I just got off the phone with him and he did his partners boat and they gained 200 rpm in the water. To give you an idea when it rains the water just repells off my cars like when you wash a pan that has teflon. price depends on size of boat and how much dirt etc he has to take off. give him a call if your serious bout your boat!!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
I just got off the phone with a guy that does cars and boats here in Rancho Cordova. He came recommended by one of my clients who use him monthly to come wash cars for their employees.

His name is Dale and his company is Wax On, Wax Off. He said he would wash, wax, scrub vinyl, trailer & tire dressings for around $250. The price may vary depending on how old the boat is and its size. You can either bring your boat to his shop or he will come get it from you.

I have scheduled him to do my car next week and will probably have him do the boat closer to spring time. If you want to give him a call, his number is (916) 532-0256. Tell him that Renee sent you.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Renee Hey I know how much you love your baby I would recommond steve with the sealer, If I can afford it here soon I will surely have my baby done.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
Kenny,

Is this something that can be done by anyone or does it have to done for you by someone in particular? Have you talked to Steve to see what he would charge you to have it done on your boat? Since we have the same boat, it would probably be the same price. Has he done it to any other boats?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
No it cannot be done by anybody else (I would try myself if I could), He is going to let me know tonight the price for my boat, each job price can vary depending on the condition of the vechile, and yes he has done boats, RV's, cars, trucks, etc. Hes been doing it for more than 20years. Remember I paid him and had him do both my vechiles and I wouldnt second guess him touching my baby!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
If my tax return is as big as I think it will be she will be done ASAP!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   
Let me know the pricing and I will talk to Tate about it. I may have him call you directly to talk about it.

I wonder, would the extra "glide" on the water make the boat more "squirley"? I would hate to do one those Sanger "spins" and spin out of control. We love to spin... HANG ON!!! NO REALLY HANG THE HECK ON!!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
I wouldnt think so cause it tracks so good, but hey thats why they have OOOO SH-- Handles!!!!!!inside the boat
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Those handles only work when you are warned to USE THEM. I have had some nasty bruises from flying around the inside of that boat from not being warned ahead of time!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
I would agree, but if the person driving does that smack them upside thier head something fierce like!!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-26-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Make sure that any detailer you use uses a good carnuba wax, and 303 on the vinyl. NO SILICONE based products like Armor All!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-26-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
I just found a website where you can get free samples of 303. Here is the link: http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample

John, do you use the Aerospace cleaner or the vinyl top cleaner? Or is there a difference?
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 4:24 AM Reply   
Kenny- What is this stuff your guy puts on the boat. I just want to read up on it. Is it a laminate or some kind of liquid coating?

John - Why don't you use Silicone on vinal?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
That teflon coating sounds like an interesting idea. Anybody find out a ballpark price yet?

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-27-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Silocone based product break down the pvc coating that is on top of the vinyl.

Vinyl manufacturers recommend using a soft brush and warm soapy water to clean the vinyl. Rinse with clean water, dry.

Then finish it with 303 Protectant. Not cheap, but very good stuff.

Here's a link: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1941&src=SRQZ

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
The 303 protectant seems to work great. In fact I think I may go put a coat on my vinyl right now.

DO NOT waste your time with the 303 cleaner. Absolutely not worth the money.

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2005, 5:39 AM Reply   
If you 303 for your vinyl, what is it you use on your gelcoat..

(sorry for the hijack)
Old    zboomer            01-28-2005, 5:52 AM Reply   
303 Protectant works awesome on gel-coat, as well as vinyl. It also restores oxidized gel.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=30 8

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-28-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
I don't use 303 on my Gel Coat because it seems to leave an oily like film that attracts dust and makes the gel look non-uniform.

To detail the gel coat, first wash your boat with a mixture of 50/50 water and white vinegar, plus just a very little bit of mild dish soap. Rinse and dry. For tough stubborn lake scum stains at the waterline, look on malibuboatowners.com for Aneal's Miracle Cleaner. He was selling it on ebay, so if he still is, I would recommend buying from him cause he does a lot to help people out on these message boards. If not, you can find the formula on malibuboatowners.com if you search hard. I've never used the formula, but others swear by it.

Then I use Meguires Yellow Wax #26 on my gelcoat using a 6 inch electric palm waxer. You can get the waxing machine for under 15 dollars at Walmart. It goes on very quickly and easily. Let the wax dry completely and wipe it off with a clean terry cloth buffing by hand. It comes off easy when it's dry. For the large flat areas, you can use the waxer with a clean terry cloth buffer.

Once the boat is all shined up, I carry a sqirt bottle of 50/50 mixture of water and white vinegar to spray the boat down and wipe dry after it leaves the water. This mixture removes any water spots that may have been deposited on the Gel Coat while you were on the lake. If you can wipe down in the shade on very hot days, it helps too. Be religious about this step it will save you tons of time and sweat.

Depending on how often you take your boat out and the level of scum and hardness of the water at your local lake, you may only need to wax twice a year.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Sorry bout not replying yesterday but HA-BEEB taxi dude slamed his cab into my SS which made for a long BAD day!. I spoke with Steve today and it will run $750 for the aircraft sealer (no waxing for 5 years!) if your boat is in good condition. He will need it for 2 days since it is a long process. Tell him Kenny sent you to get that price...This is what I will be doing both of my vech done, SS over 2 years ago and the paint still looks wet and new. Now he will have to redo it after I get it bvack from the body shop.. Less time working on the boat means more time to be on the lake!!!
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-28-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
So will this process completely protect the gel coat from water spots, even if the boat is not properly wiped down?

$750 sounds alright after the 8 hour day I spent buffing and waxing after my house boat trip this year.

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
What it will do it is drastically reduce your wipe down time, it wont complete prevent them. If you take a pan with teflon and run it throught the sink that is bout how much water is left. To give you an idea on my SS after it rained I pulled in the garage and it was almost completely dry or when I wash it, it takes maybe 5 mins to dry it completely. It adds bout 20% protection for chips etc. I paid about $400 for my Truck and SS to be done that is how much I believe in this, plus being Navy I understand aircraft sealer....
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-28-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Ok Kenny... when was the last time an airplane flew through your office!!! (just kiddin, I know there is more to you than the awesome recruiter you are)

Love ya!
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-28-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
If you wipe down with the 50/50 vinegar you will not need to spend 8 hours cleaning your boat at all. I used to buff and buff until I discovered this formula about three years ago. Now I wax only twice a year (end of season and mid season).

I don't know anything about this product that Kenny is talking about, but I would be asking some tough questions before I plunk down 750 bones.
1. What if that stuff ruins your gelcoat, your warranty might be toast.
2. What gaurantee is there that it will not ruin your boat's finish or look like garbage in a year.
3. Gelcoat is much less porious and smooth than a painted surface, how well will the product actually adhere?
4. What if you get a dock scar? How easy is it to repair and will it match the original gel coat.
5. What happens in 5 years, do you have to have it re-sealed again. What's the cost then and what is needed to re-seal it, do you have to sand the old stuff off?

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
Renee When the SS gets fixed or if you want I can show you the Truck so you can see for yourself what I am talking bout cause you know how meticulous I'm with my stuff!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
Easy answers for you John...
1. won't ruin gel coat he's been doing this for 20+ years, including cigar boats!( He covers with his warrenty )
2.It is Warrantied through his company, mine will be done before this summer so as you are waxing I am boarding.
3.refer to #1.
4. you cant tell its on except the extremely wetlook, as for a dock scar I just went out to my Camaro SS with a custom paint job with the sealer took my black dress shoes that leaves all those marks around the hopuse my wife hates and marked my car and it came right off, remember its like teflon. But if you have the habit of hitting your boat hard enough yes it could be tough to get off but this will help protect the gel coat!
5.In 5 years you either reseal if you even still have the boat, or not it will tend to wear off like wax so no need to sand.
This is really simple its like LIQUID TEFLON...
remember the saying K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)..
that is what I am trying to do for the maintaince side of the house....
If you want more info Call Steve 916-423-3848 and ask him all the questions til your satisfied.
I need as much practice time on the water as I can get, and doing less maintence than I need to will help........

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-01-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
ok, I just had my car done by Dale from "Wax On, Wax Off". He did a FABULOUS job! If I can talk Tate into paying the money, I will definately be having him do the boat too.

He said he would wash, wax, scrub vinyl, trailer & tire dressings for around $250. The price may vary depending on how old the boat is and its size. You can either bring your boat to his shop or he will come get it from you.

If you want to give him a call, his number is (916) 532-0256. Tell him that Renee sent you.