Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
As many of you know, I recently took delivery of the first 2012 F21 Tomcat out of MB’s factory. I special ordered the boat, which was a fun process. I really enjoyed working directly with the factory and my dealer (Portland Ski Boat Center) on all the choices!

It’s about time I share some pictures, huh?

Before I do, there have been lots of changes for 2012. MB has really moved the ball forward with this new boat.

All new top deck:

• Bigger, deeper bow
• New nose: more lines, detail, and billet “Tomcat” logo
• Wider transom seat for two
• Batteries moved from under observer’s seat to below floor in bow walk through

New gel coat:

• Modified “X” design
• Variety of flake colors (silver, gray, red, blue, etc.)
• “MB” logo under the bow
• Black extends above rub rail in the rear

New sound system:

• WetSounds in the boat: XS-650, 2 in bow + 4 in cabin
• WetSounds sub: XS-10FA, behind driver seat
• WetSounds optional on the tower: 2 Pro-60’s + 2 MB-8’s (optional)
• Wetsounds Syn6 (boat + tower) + SynMicro (sub)

New interior:

• Fiberglass floor with drain
• Removable carpet: no snaps… just magnets!
• Thicker cushions, vinyl, and lots of new colors, patterns, textures, etc.
• Matching gel coat and “X” pattern inside gunnels
• Collapsible pylon (old one was removable)
• Storage trays over engine and transmission
• New driver’s seat
• Two cup holders at helm + 12v outlet + usb port
• Moved ballast switches from wall up to the dash
• Seat heater (optional)
• More LED’s (optional)

New tower goodies:

• Triple combo swivel racks (middle slot for surf boards)
• The exposed wire is gone
• Tower screws permanently attached (now I won’t lose them!)

Other tid bits:

• Transom LED’s (optional)
• New swim platform brackets
• Sea deck replaces rubber
• Wake plate (optional)
• Dripless shaft seal standard
• Optional 18’s on trailer (I skipped these)

I’m sure I missed something; hard to keep track of it all.

Here are some pics, but they don’t do the gel or the vinyl any justice. You have to see it in person to appreciate the craftsmanship. There are NO DECALS on this boat (inside or out).

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-04-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Nice F21! I really like the new changes. Did the glove box change as well (depth? opening mechanism?). Is there a cooler that comes with the boat? Can you take pics of the following please:

1. Sub location
2. Behind the observer's seat (old batter location)
3. Battery storage with cover on.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new 21.

m-
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-04-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
Very Nice! Post up some pics with her on the water when you get a chance.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-04-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Nice, looks like some of those changes I've heard about are coming to fruition. Look forward to seeing what they do to the 23 wb.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-04-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Wow!!! Talk about a nice boat! What is up with the driver's seat? Can I see a few more pics of it? Looks more like a love seat!
Old    djstasevich            07-04-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hows the wake?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
That's a really AWESOME boat DBC!Looks like MB has really stepped up their game.Also looks like you have yours loaded with alot of goodies.Enjoy your new boat!
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-04-2011, 4:43 PM Reply   
congrats man- sweet ride (s)
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2011, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaijogo View Post
Nice F21! I really like the new changes. Did the glove box change as well (depth? opening mechanism?). Is there a cooler that comes with the boat? Can you take pics of the following please:

1. Sub location
2. Behind the observer's seat (old batter location)
3. Battery storage with cover on.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new 21.

m-

Sub location is same as before (behind drivers seat). They just threw a 10" WetSounds in there.

Here is the area behind the observer's seat (under glove box). The boxes for the batteries are still there, but they are now empty. It's nice because they offer a great storage location for my wipe down towels, trash bags, baby wipes, and Babe's products.

Here is the area where the new battery compartment is. One pic with the carpet down. Another with the carpet pulled up and the hatch in place. The hatch is very sturdy. You could walk over it 100 times and never know there was anything under there.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
Wow!!! Talk about a nice boat! What is up with the driver's seat? Can I see a few more pics of it? Looks more like a love seat!
The new driver's steat is nice. A big improvement over the old one, which was a little constricting. This one is more open on the sides and thus easier to get in an out of.

As before, there is a flip up bolster, it slides back and forth, and swivels in circles so you can turn around and join the rest of the crowd during lunch!

Plus, there is like four different colors/textures of vinyl on it!

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaijogo View Post
Did the glove box change as well (depth? opening mechanism?).
m-
The glove box is a bit deeper than the old one. With the new top deck they added a few inches of depth by popping up the fiberglass around the billet aluminum door. So the door is no longer flush/level with the dash surface. It's on a slight incline.

The opening mechanism is the same as before.

Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-04-2011, 10:43 PM Reply   
Sharp looking boat
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-05-2011, 3:56 AM Reply   
Boat looks great...you must be stoked . Nice one
However the tower and dash look a bit behind the times ? Is that tower standard or is their option's ?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-05-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
great looking boat.. very impressed
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
Beautiful! MB is really impressing me and has moved up my list of potential new boats!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-05-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Bad@ss! IXFE come on down to SD when you get the job if it comes up again. I may be on the list for a 2013, I now have a connect with the best deal in the country. Basically I will be on the promo list is what I am hoping for.

I brought out a "new to MB" guy this weekend, (210 owner old hull) he could not believe how big and prefect the wake was.

Trouble 001 and Trouble 002 and Trouble 003 are the sickest boats on the water right now.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-05-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
So sick! The tower and dash are standard. I've heard that there is a potential new tower coming for '13 though. I am personally a huge fan of the tower, it's rock solid and rattle free. Grab it from the sides and shake as hard as you can, it will not move an inch. I am also a fan of the simpler dash.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
The simpler dash is a HUGE selling point for me! When I buy a new boat, I intend to keep it for a long while. How easy or inexpensive do you think it will be to replace some of these "modern" screen based systems? No thanks.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
IXFE, nice choices! It's beautiful.

I dig the improvements. MB is on fire! They are definitely a front runner in my mind.

I also understand the underside changed to improve the ride.

1) larger tracking fins for improved tracking.
2) more hook for improved time out of the hole.

Please let us know what you think of these changes. You are a great resource since you have owned the before/after boats. Is the tracking better? Is the start better? Is the wakeboard wake different? Is the surf wave different?

Please let us know when you know! Thanks!
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
That boat is SIIIICCCKK! Congrats. Definitely in my top two list moving forward. This winter, I could be lining this boat up with the Axis head to head. The new changes for 2012 make this boat hard to pass up.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
I am also a big fan of the TOWER with LARGE bimini. Very nice. I also dig the DASH kept simple.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-05-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
Where is the cooler located. is it just aft of the battery compartment? Beautiful boat by the way. Enjoy it I enjoy mine!
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       07-05-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Sick boat! Man I miss my MB.. Hoping to get another next summer, but seeing this makes it hard to wait that long. How do you like the new carpet with the magnets? Does it seem to work well?
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pics ixfe! I am really liking the new '12. I wonder if they'll put gravity fed ballast in the bow....

Now that would rock!

Thanks again.

m-
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
How about some in water pics with and without ballast?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peettee79 View Post
Boat looks great...you must be stoked . Nice one
However the tower and dash look a bit behind the times ? Is that tower standard or is their option's ?
Some say behind the times. Others say simple and functional. The MB Tower (made by Skyon) is rock solid, has the largest bimini in the industry, goes up and down with one person in about 30 seconds, and doesn't obscure visibility or block side entry into the boat like so many of the new fancy towers. It is pre-wired from the factory for speakers, lights, etc. In other words, it has everything you need, nothing you don't. I quite like it.

Same goes for the dash. When I sold my 2009 MB TWB, I honestly planned to "move up" to either a Supra 21V or Malibu VLX. I spent lots of time in each of those boats on various demos. Super nice boats, but the screens on the dash drove me nuts. I thought I'd love them. But it just me took too long to find simple things. Perhaps I'd have gotten used to them. But I don't think a boat that costs $25K more should be an aquired taste. If I was going to spend that much more, I wanted to be blown away right off the bat, and I just wasn't. Also I worried about the learning curve of others who I might ask to drive my boat (e.g. when I'm in the water).

So that's when my focus changed. I had started hearing about all these great improvements MB was making. I loved our '09 MB. And the prospect of building a better version of that boat (and saving lots of $) became very attractive to us.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-05-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
Are your floor courtesy lights the small led livewell lights? They look just like them. I've been contemplating these myself, could you take a nightshot of them lit up?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
IXFE, how easy/hard it is to put the bimini up with the Wetsounds speakers in place?

In my current boat (BU with boss tower), the bimini is a bit of a pain with speakers in place. I have take the bimini half apart.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-05-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
really intrigued by the battery location. Where does the water go if you take one over the bow? Not that I ever would, but I've heard it can happen
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
Shawn- the better queshtion to ask is what happens when the water does get in that battery box? Does it run to the bilge? Does that mean you have the potential to get battery acid in the bilge? Considering I just got done moving all three of my batteries to the same location in my VLX I know I had to consider all of these options plus a few others like venting etc. While I made mine work I made it alot different than the one pictured. Also what happens when you want bigger batteries? Those look like group 24. What if you want to go to group 29? The 29`s are highly recomended on the forums but they are a few inches longer than the 24`s.. I love what MB is doing and where they are headed. I think the New R&D people that moved over from malibu are taking MB to a new level. If they can keep there price in check I`ll bet they are the next big hit. I know I am keepin a close eye on them..
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-05-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
ha, John, well I'm really REALLY intrigued by what it sounds like you did. Would love to see pics?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-05-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
IXFE, love the boat, colors.... MB is doing some great changes. Like how the seats are deeper! Explain to me what is going on with the throttle? Not the most attractive, reminds me of an I/O throttle, but I don't care what it looks like as long as it performs well. Lightning quick? Shifts well? Is there a trim plate button on it?

Like the tire shine on the rig tires !
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
shawn - I will do a full blown right up when I am done with my other up grades. It will be posted on the malibu crew. If you realy want to see it prior to that shoot me an e-mail adress and ill send you some teaser pics.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
Great questions, everybody. I'll post a round of answers when I get home tonight.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
Agreed on the comment above on the throttle. I've driven one, and the only thing I didn't love about the boat was the throttle. It's not bad, it's just a little different. there is a switch on it that is for the quick to plane plate. The switch for the TAPS on my old Tige was in the same spot, but it was not as obtrusive, in my opinion.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Trouble 001 and Trouble 002 and Trouble 003 are the sickest boats on the water right now.
Hate2Party may have lost some with his code names. He is referring to are the first three 2012's out of MB's factory. All have modified top decks.

001 went to a new dealer in Minnesota. 002 came to my garage! 003 went to a buddy of mine here in Portland. We actually just got back from a week at Shasta with 002 and 003.

I think it's cool how each have different vinyl patterns and textures. One thing I forgot to mention is carpet color. As you see I ordered darker charcoal carpet to help hide stains. Turns out it matches the dark gray vinyl accents nicely! #003 has the more traditional light gray carpet.

# 001: B52 TWB 21

Click here for more pics

# 002: F21 Tomcat

Click here for more pics, including original build pics

# 003: B52 TWB 23

Click here for more pics

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2011, 11:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
IXFE, nice choices! It's beautiful.

I dig the improvements. MB is on fire! They are definitely a front runner in my mind.

I also understand the underside changed to improve the ride.

1) larger tracking fins for improved tracking.
2) more hook for improved time out of the hole.

Please let us know what you think of these changes. You are a great resource since you have owned the before/after boats. Is the tracking better? Is the start better? Is the wakeboard wake different? Is the surf wave different?

Please let us know when you know! Thanks!
I can't believe I forgot to mention this!! Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Yes, MB made a BIG change to the underside of their boats. My 2009 TWB had two small tracking fins - the front was about equal with the front tire when on the trailer. My new boat (same 21' length) has two HUGE fins moved way up... about 3' ahead of the old, smaller fins.

I can't tell you what a difference the new fins make to how the boat turns. My old boat drove like a Tahoe. The new one is like a Porsche. It literally turns on a dime... it can turn tighter than I'm willing to push it. I had no idea the fins would make that big a difference, but they do.

As for "more hook" for improved hole shot... I have never heard that before. The hull itself has not changed. The only changes I know of for improved hole shot are 1) optional wake plate, and 2) 14.25 x 14 prop is standard now. Both make a big difference, although I never thought my old boat struggled.

While tracking and hole shot are definitely improved, the only difference I've noticed in the wake (which was outstanding on my 2009) is on the surf wave. On my 2009 I had trouble getting a clean wave on the regular side due to prop wash. On the goofy side it was always crisp. Well... on the new boat the regular surf wave is suddenly clean. My theory is that the wake plate (even in it's "up" position) is knocking down that prop wash. It's just a theory... but the surf wave is noticably cleaner on the regular side.

In this pic, we were purposely going faster to create a shorter, longer wave. I show it just to demonstrate how the top of the wave is clean. Pic was taken three days ago at Shasta.

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2011, 11:58 PM Reply   
I love my Bu, but that is one hell of a boat, and I've been pimping MB for several years now. I think all things being equal, pound for pound fighter, etc., etc., MB might be the best all around boat for the price out there. Amazing job MB. Just don't screw it up by charging MC, CC, or Bu prices!

Maybe I missed it when reading, but where is the ice chest?
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-06-2011, 12:00 AM Reply   
I really like this boat, you've spec'd it out perfect!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 12:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am also a big fan of the TOWER with LARGE bimini. Very nice. I also dig the DASH kept simple.
Did somebody say LARGE bimini? Here is another fresh pic from Shasta (taken up by Antlers, near the new bridge construction).

Quote:
IXFE, how easy/hard it is to put the bimini up with the Wetsounds speakers in place?

In my current boat (BU with boss tower), the bimini is a bit of a pain with speakers in place. I have take the bimini half apart.
The pic above should answer this question. The WetSounds clamps didn't cause any issue with the bimini. It wrapped right around them, just like on my old boat. My buddy's MB tower is loaded with six (6) Exhile speakers (hybrid setup). He too installed his bimini easily.

With the hot Shasta sun, we had the biminis up all week.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 12:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Where is the cooler located. is it just aft of the battery compartment? Beautiful boat by the way. Enjoy it I enjoy mine!
In my 2009 MB, the cooler was located beneath a hatch in the floor, right next to the drivers seat. I liked the location a lot. But with the removable carpet, MB didn't want to cover the hatch with the carpet. They also didn't want to have a separate, small piece of removable carpet just for the hatch (tripping hazard). So they got rid of the in floor cooler and replaced it with a removable cooler bag (similar to Malibu). It can go almost anywhere in the boat - fits nicely under any of the seats. I keep mine under the observer seat so I can still easily reach my Diet Cokes from the drivers seat.

I used the bag all last week at Shasta. It keeps the ice fozen all day and holds dozens of drinks. I didn't think I'd like the bag idea. But I'm starting to see the wisdom in it. I really enjoyed packing the bag in the house in the morning and carrying it out to the boat; much easier than loading drinks into the boat one-by-one.

Here is the a pic of the cooler bag.

Here is a pic of it sitting beneath the observer seat.

My buddy decided he still wanted an on board cooler in addition to the bag. So converted his transmission tray into a cooler by drilling a drain hole and covering the underside with insulation. He finished this DIY project on the last day of our Shasta trip. He still had ice and cold drinks in that tray by the end of an eight hour, 100 degree day on the water. The tray holds about 20 cans and a 7lb. bag of ice.

Here's a pic of him spraying on the "frosting" as my kids called it. It's the only pic I took of this project.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 12:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slax303 View Post
Sick boat! Man I miss my MB.. Hoping to get another next summer, but seeing this makes it hard to wait that long. How do you like the new carpet with the magnets? Does it seem to work well?
I really like the removable carpet. Before I had it, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Now that I have it, I find myself taking it out frequently. I took it out twice at Shata and hund it up on the balcony of the house we rented.

Also, I'm super happy with the dark color I chose. MB warned me that it would be hot on the feet. But it wasn't at Shasta, probably becuase we had the bimini up all week. I just like how the darker color matches the dark gray and black vinyl. I also like that it should hide future stains better than the light gray did in my old boat.

I was a little skeptical of the magnets. I worried that the carpet would fly away while towing. But i towed 800 miles round trip to Shasta at 70-75 mph and w/out a cover or anything on the floor of the boat. The carpet stayed in place.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 1:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
Are your floor courtesy lights the small led livewell lights? They look just like them. I've been contemplating these myself, could you take a nightshot of them lit up?
Razz... not sure if they are "livewell" or not. I just know they small, white, and bright!

I just ran out and took some long exposure shots in the garage. I didn't get pics of the lights inside the lockers. There are also more up in the bow cup holders.

Just for fun I added a pic of another boat MB recently did using red led's.

I hope this helps.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 1:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
IXFE, love the boat, colors.... MB is doing some great changes. Like how the seats are deeper! Explain to me what is going on with the throttle? Not the most attractive, reminds me of an I/O throttle, but I don't care what it looks like as long as it performs well. Lightning quick? Shifts well? Is there a trim plate button on it?

Like the tire shine on the rig tires !
Yes, the throttle is a little on the larger side of normal. The reason it's so big is because it has the wake plate controls integrated on it, which is nice. I actually like that location for the wake plate control better than the Supra I spent so much time test driving (stick on the wheel). But the larger handle does take some getting used to.

What I find myself doing is grabbing the throttle lower down on the stick. I think I did this on my old throttle too...

If you decide not to get the wake plate, you get a normal throttle lever.

Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-06-2011, 5:32 AM Reply   
Those small LED's look sweet
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Wow, great write up David!!! Those new interior LED's look great!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-06-2011, 6:40 AM Reply   
I wonder if MB would give you the traditional trottle lever and mount the switch for the trim plate in another location?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-06-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
The soft cooler bag is a great idea.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Actually they have a whole new throttle already made and moved the wakeplate switch to the dash. Not sure if it will be on late 2012 or 2013. I used one last week and it is real small and comfortable.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have the same throttle in my 2010 and it is buttery perfect. Even my wife likes it so that says a lot. Next time out I will get some wake pics with full ballast plus lead and like 8 people in the boat to give a heavily weighted perspective. The ballast switches on the dash are a huge plus as well.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
Is the wakeplate recommended? What is it good for?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
The wakeplate gets the boat on plane in a matter of seconds. It is recommended if you run a lot of weight. Start with it down, it forces the rear end of the boat out of the water faster, saves gas, etc. Move it to the up position once the boat is up on plane. Most big boats with large ballasts have them. It is not a wake shaper.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
IXFE, I bet the change in hook is the reason your surf wake is cleaner.

Jason, would you be able to comment on the effect the hook change has on the wakes?
Old     (no_really)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-06-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thank you for the write up and follow up to questions-very nice of you!
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
My 2010 MB was a special build and was the first F-21 with the trim tab. Just so yal know the switch is located on the throttle which is traditional style. The only down side to it is that the knob keeps getting loose. Thanks for the right up I love the idea of the cooler bag I wonder if Mike will sale me one after market!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
MB's are looking so sweet, they are tempting me away from Sanger.....
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Hey E, MB sells the coolers aftermarket, just call up to the factory and you can buy one direct.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Is the wakeplate recommended? What is it good for?
Yes. Having had both with and without the plate, I'd get it every time. I don't see any reason to skip it. Having control over the pitch of the boat is just another tool thats nice to have at your disposal.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
IMO, that spray foam application is a little off.

It would have been much cleaner to simply glue on some insulation matt cut to size.

e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-141...988048&sr=8-12
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
^^^ yeah the foam was a sloppy solution, for sure. After it hardened, we had to shave it down with a serated knife.

I like the stuff you linked to. I might try that instead on my boat.
Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-06-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Actually they have a whole new throttle already made and moved the wakeplate switch to the dash. Not sure if it will be on late 2012 or 2013. I used one last week and it is real small and comfortable.
The throttle is a much better place to have that trim tab switch then the dash. Having only used I/O's and Outboards that is the same location that the trim is located to tilt the engine up and down. The trim on an I/O and Outboard makes a huge difference when getting up on plane and since the trim tab functionally has the same effect on the boat as a I/O or Outboard trim it is logical that the control be in the same location.

I really think the MB's have a lot going for them, I use to really like the BU but now think if I could manage my next boat will be an MB. The BU along with all the other guys started adding a lot of bells and whistles that functionally do very little to improve your boating day. My only negative with MB is I did not care for the look of the boats, the gel colors, dash, towers and style of the boat was not as cool IMO as the MC or BU. (looks are subjective so don't beat me up if my opionion offends you)

However, the 2011 and 2012 are really looking cool and I actually like the dash. It could look cooler but I would rather have a less cool looking dash that did not have all those video touch screens. Those screens seem like a lot more trouble then they are worth. Custom settings for each rider, BFD most riders either want no ballast, some ballast or max ballast. I guess custom settings make sense if it takes 5+ minutes to fill your ballast but MB's fill up in a minute so its not really something you need.

Under the fiberglass the MB is really a fantastic boat, you get 1000 lbs more of ballast then the other guys(most stock ballast I see is ~1000 lbs or less). Plus if I'm spending $80,000+ on a boat I don't want to be tripping/messing with huge bags of water all over the place. The 2012's look really awsome.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-06-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Having only had tournement boats and never having had an I/O or outboard I don't see the difference I guess. As my left hand is always on the wheel and the wakeplate trim is right under the wheel on the left side it's a matter of one movement with my fingers to trim the plate. Some things seem unneccessary to me and this is one of them, I prefer a slim throttle as it's what i'm used to and I like the feedback of it.

Ixfe I really like those LED lights, thanks for the pics! I was thinking of red as well and that helps me with the decision.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
Attach 5 panels with double stick foam tape. Cover the joints with some gorilla tape.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Urethane-40...9996682&sr=8-5
Old     (Sasha2)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-06-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
that boat looks great behind your Denali!! How was it at Shasta in the rough water?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Here is a photo of my 2010 F-21 with the slimmer throttle with the thumb wake-plate button. The trim tab is very vital lets just say I had twelve people on the boat and full ballast and she still performed like a champ. It does absolute wonders to fuel economy!
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
It would seem to me that the trim tab should have an automatic mode (where it help get the boat started) and a manual mode (where it can be used to tune the wake).

Does this make sense?
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
It's sole purpose for this boat is to get it on plane. There is no need to adjust the wake with the trim tab; the wake is perfect and if it does need adjusting you can do it with the ballast system just let a little water out of one of the sides. It's incredible gives me goose bumbs thinking of it!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-06-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
Agreed with E, the wake is pretty much perfect and doesn't need the plate. I like the looks of the throttle handle in the pic above better than the newer one.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
It would seem to me that the trim tab should have an automatic mode (where it help get the boat started) and a manual mode (where it can be used to tune the wake).

Does this make sense?
Oh it makes sense, it makes sense big time:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...sanger+project
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...sanger+project
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Then, if the sole purpose is to get the boat on plane, it seems it could be automated (minus turning it off for surfing).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
If mb want to swap my ip for a mb twb 21 then i am all ears. Yes i am yelling.....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
I was yelling, wakeworld must have mufflers
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Then, if the sole purpose is to get the boat on plane, it seems it could be automated (minus turning it off for surfing).
Its nice to have the option not to fully retract the plate for some situations, it allows to mellow the wake for the littlens and run at a much slower speed with a clean wake for the complete noobs.

With the adjustable knob you can tune this behaviour and have the wake identical for every start/stop cycle.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
GD I don't get why you would want it to be automated it's very easy to just push the button down when you start and then up when your on plane.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-06-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
GD I don't get why you would want it to be automated it's very easy to just push the button down when you start and then up when your on plane.
My honest opinion... The wake plate is only necessary if you are at high altitude or run a lot of extra sacs in the boat. I don't really think extra weight is necessary. With the stock 1,800 lbs (or 2,500 in the 23 footer) the wake is down right scary. I think you guys are thinking you'll need the plate each time you pull a rider. Not true. It's really more or a luxury in my mind. I'm not sure I'd want it to be automatic. I don't use it a ton. When I want it, I just tap the down button a few times... My thumb is alreadt right there. I have total control. Not some machine.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
With my testing having an automatic tab reduced my running costs by 25%. I do run heavy but the boat I have doesn't have a bow rise issue like some boats I have driven, I imagine the savings could be even more if the boat wallowed with the nose up. (X-1 for instance) Having it auto is like having Perfect Pass, once you have used it you can never go back....

Anyway sorry for the high-jack back to MB loveliness.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
MB Love

Very nice MB... We have the #2 2012 F21; ours was unwrapped Memorial Weekend.. This will be Bullet Lines 2nd MB (the first a 2010), and we love it. By far the best wake for wakeboarding, and no other stock ballast boat can beat the stock surf wake. Our boat just came out of the stereo shop (I do not have pics yet), and we ripped out all the stock stereo equipment to replace with Bravox Audio in boat speakers, Digital Designs 10" and 12" SPL subs, Krypt Marine Audio HLCD Speakers on the tower, red LED speaker rings/cub holder rings/underwater lights, and LED music controller to sync LEDs with the music.

I like the idea of converting the tray to ice chest: will probably do the same with the insulated matting..

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Ripping out Wetsounds? Now thats crazy talk!

IXFE, did you get my PM?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-07-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
IXFE, do you put an extra ballast bag in the rear locker for surfing?

If it's not too much trouble, would you measure the rear locker size W/L/H for a potential surf ballast bag?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Ripping out Wetsounds? Now thats crazy talk!

IXFE, did you get my PM?
Adam, maybe it is Ken's way to get wetsound speakers and amps so he can send to China to have another factory copy them. Oh wait, I think that kind of already happened.