Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (missdent)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-25-2009, 10:31 PM Reply   
Hey ladies! Last summer I sat and watched my boyfriend wakeboard all summer just wishing I could! I tried to get up a couple of times but wasn't too successful at all. I don't know if my height (I'm 5'9") and low weight make a difference. But I am determined to try it out. My boyfriend and I went ahead and bought my board and bindings. I got a 08 Ronix Trinity 135 with some Luxe bindings. Any good tips on maybe learning how to get up and moving? Anything would be greatly appreciated! I AM DETERMINED!

Melissa
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-26-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
Melissa - welcome! You will meet a lot of great girls through this site. One of the biggest challenges about getting up is not fighting against it. Your low weight and height shouldn't be a problem - as long as the boat driver knows to throttle slowly at first. If they are used to getting up heavy guys it will be easy for them to throw the throttle fast and pull the handle out of your hands. One of the best techniques I saw at a clinic was to have new people practice getting up on land with a rope and handle. You can have your board on or off. Sit on the ground with your knees up and your heels as close to your butt as you can get them. Hold onto the handle and have a friend hold onto the rope about 4 feet from the handle. The friend pulls the rope and you should slowly be pulled up to a squat - don't use your arms to pull against the handle - you simply keep them extended. Once you learn that motion then you can take it to the water.

When you get up and start to ride a little bit have them drive the boat S-L-O-W. It will help reduce the impact of your wipeouts and will help you learn how to edge. If they argue that you should be going faster insist that they not drive faster. You should be towed just fast enough that you aren't sinking - maybe 15 - 18 mph? They also shouldn't have the ballast filled until you really know how to steer and cross from one side of the boat to the other.

I also encourage you to get lessons from a coach once or twice in the beginning. Boyfriends can be great but someone who is really experienced in teaching lots of beginners will help you progress SO much faster. I wasted a lot of time learning along with my boyfriend who was self-taught. It will be money well spent and will help eliminate some of the frustrations in learning the basics.

I love your determination - you go get 'em!
Old     (psychowakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
Melissa - I am also very much a beginner. I just started last season and I LOVE it! I also recommend that you take a couple lessons. After several times trying to learn from my husband, we took 3 lessons. They taught me to get out of the water the first lesson, just get up and ride the second, and how to cross the wake on the third, it was a great experience! I would really encourage lessons.

Good luck, and once you get up, you'll have so much more fun!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
With alot of water time, you learn fast! Don't FEAR anything! :-)
Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-16-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Hey Melissa! I'm new to the sport as well and learned from my boyfriend. starting on land first like Lizrd said really helped him get up.

and as Audrey said, don't fear anything. just go for it and don't be afraid to face plant multiple times...just keep trying!!
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2009, 1:09 AM Reply   
I'm new to wakeboarding this season. Was dating a really awesome wakeboarder, but was always too afraid to try it in front of him. Now that we arent dating, I started taking lessons. I'm so glad that I'm using a coach, and learning on the boom, out of the wake. I'm heavier, with a very large chest, and had been out of shape for a VERY long time when I first went, and I couldn't get out of the water. Now I can, and once you get up, holding on isn't so hard. I'm so glad that my ex didn't see me on my first two lessons! Do push-ups everyday, and squeeze a tennis ball to build up your forearms. I went from seven to 35 push-ups in two weeks. Yesterday was my second lesson, and even though I'm crappy at it, my whole body is sore from head to toe, I drank half the lake, and I had to go directly to work afterwards, I love this sport and can't wait to get back on the lake!
Old     (flwakecat)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-20-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Also relatively new. Started on a wakeskate and it took me like 3 days to get a full ride around the lake... I had a hard time keeping my shoulders back getting up and as much trouble turning. But then I switched over to wakeboarding on like my 5th ride and have been having a blast.

I've ridden maybe 6 times now (bout once a week) and I'm working on ollies and surface tricks... actually enjoying busting ass, although I'm sure that'll change once I experience a hard fall doing jumps - hopefully I'll even make it to that point :-)