Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
I just need some insight on landings blind. I have noticed alot of people don't pass the handle untill after they land. Is the key to this keeping the elbow really tight to the back? I can land blind with a handle pass but have trouble incorporating the grab and handle pass in the air.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
You are exactly right. Keep that elbow in super tight with the back of your hand and wrist pressed firmly against the small of your back. The other key must do is keeping your head turned away from the boat with your eyes looking for the shoreline just behind you.
You can get away without truly landing blind and passing the handle early with grabbed 180s but you will need to get the blind landing down if you want to take it beyond the 180s and have consistency in it. Plus a real blind landing looks way better and is way more respectable
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thanks Jason. I really want work on this and get it dialed in.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-29-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
What i find helpful is trying to slightly under rotate the blind landing and spinning the last 90 on the water. This forces me to land further over my toes and prevents me from slipping out on my heel edge and falling back.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Appreciate it Tommy, I am always kind of skidding out on my landing so that tip should be very helpful.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-29-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
I learned by doing a lot of ollie back 1's inside the wake to outside the wake. Also helps if you can ride in the trough of the wake riding in the wrapped position. If you can't ride wrapped fairly comfortably, you ain't landing wrapped...at least not consistently. It's very awkward at first. The pull is from your back hand, so I like to throw my back shoulder down towards my back knee/toes to fight getting unwound by the boat. Good luck, landing wrapped is one of my favorite things to do on a wakeboard.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
I can land bs 180s from inside the wake to outside. Its when I start to take it w2w is where i struggle
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-29-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm confused. Are you talking about doing a backside 180 (with a grab) or landing wrapped (aka landing blind)? If you are talking about doing a backside 180 wake-to-wake, then I think the tips above are very helpful. Particularly rotating late and looking at the opposite shore. You want to land on your toe edge. Very easy to overrotate the trick. I would also add in addition to the above that you wait to start your rotation until you're well off the wake. That will make it easier to keep the handle close.

Throwing a grab in is much easier if you can land wrapped and then pass the handle (or pass the handle right as you are landing). That's a whole other set of skills.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-29-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Jason Nailed it. The only thing that I would add is landing blind really helps me with body position. If you land blind, with the handle in the small of your back ifs going to force you chest over your toes and this is going to make you lock in. If you pass then land you will have a tendency to stand taller and shift your hips towards the boat. This will make you slip out. Eyes to the shore line and chest over toes and own that blind landing.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
I was very close tonight fellas. First one i tried to pass the handle
Out of habit and dropped it. Second one felt great but I over rotate a bit and caught my front edge. Need
To focus on looking at the shore. Yes I am grabbing it because I feel it helps me to e patient on the rotation
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-29-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, hold the grab as long as possible and dont start to turn until u start to drop. No one in the boat should be able to tell u r gonna land blind until u r on your way down.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-30-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
I'm goin to get it this weekend or die trying!
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
I'm at the same point as Bob in progression of this trick but haven't tried grabbing to help wait on the rotation. Is there a certain grab that helps set the right axis for the landing? Seems like indy might be the one but I'm having a hard time visualizing. Nose grabbing a FS180 is what made that trick consistent for me so I'm hoping for something similar on the BS180
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-31-2012, 2:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukus View Post
I'm at the same point as Bob in progression of this trick but haven't tried grabbing to help wait on the rotation. Is there a certain grab that helps set the right axis for the landing? Seems like indy might be the one but I'm having a hard time visualizing. Nose grabbing a FS180 is what made that trick consistent for me so I'm hoping for something similar on the BS180
Yeah, grabbing Indy keeps your chest over your toes which is key in the landing. Try and do a really nice Indy grab, don't think about the spin. If the Indy feels good, then rotate on the drop.
Old     (lukus)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
^^ Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking - good indy grab & drop into blind. I've had a few BS270 to scorpions that don't feel too great. This is one of the tricks I've wanted to "own" since I started boarding. So far it "owns" me